2019 Squad

marklaspalmas

we need out and out pace surrounding ridy and the boas we've all seen the space that ridayed creates consitantly and these young lads have that in abundance.

as much as i liked Robinson his top speed wasnt there.  shame about Carlisle as I think he wanted to stay and is a consitant performer.   Maskill however is getting better everytime I see him play, couple him with wildie and we'll be okay.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, lingard said:

we need out and out pace surrounding ridy and the boas we've all seen the space that ridayed creates consitantly and these young lads have that in abundance.

as much as i liked Robinson his top speed wasnt there.  shame about Carlisle as I think he wanted to stay and is a consitant performer.   Maskill however is getting better everytime I see him play, couple him with wildie and we'll be okay.

Wildie's supposedly off to Bradford unless the longstanding rumours have been wide of the mark.

I agree completely about the speed thing and the space Ridyard creates. Just a question for me over whether we will have a team capable of holding up physically, but we'll see what further signings we make.

44 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Thacks was my favourite player. Is it true he has gone?

It's not confirmed anywhere. He is however out of contract, and given he was reputedly one of our higher wage earners, I'd suspect he may well end up moving on. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

8 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Realistically though are we likely to be in a position to make "statement of intent" signings given we are going to be in the ballpark of 250k worse off than last year?

I get the impression the main aim since we didn't make the top 4 was to hang on to a nucleus of key/solid contributors - Ridyard, Davies, Farrell, Lockwood, Hardcastle, Wheeldon, Walton, Cooper etc...adding in the Boas brothers (who plenty of Championship clubs would have seen as headline signings) plus the two Batley lads who are both proven Championship players with potential to improve, then try and fill in with some cheap/young, up-and-coming types and the odd DR player here and there.

Hopefully there should be enough quality there to make us challengers for top 4. There are still a few question marks (full back, hooker and, in particular, middles) but then there will be plenty of further movement and players becoming available when the dust settles on the season and we know which clubs are in which division. Just think it would be a surprise if we are in a position to make any "statement of intent" signings, like the Ridyard/Hock ones last year.

I’m quoting Longo saying hopefully the fans will see our signings as a statement of intent!

23 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Had to think that these Leeds lads would be signing to play for a reserve team.

I might be wrong but I think Darley and Whylie are already too old to play for their U19s next year. If we were fielding a reserve team it would make sense for such players (who are nowhere near getting a sniff at the Leeds 1st team) to come to us, be guaranteed at least some game time and have a chance of making our first team, whilst Leeds probably retain an option to re-sign them in 2020.

15 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I might be wrong but I think Darley and Whylie are already too old to play for their U19s next year. If we were fielding a reserve team it would make sense for such players (who are nowhere near getting a sniff at the Leeds 1st team) to come to us, be guaranteed at least some game time and have a chance of making our first team, whilst Leeds probably retain an option to re-sign them in 2020.

Makes sense if Leeds aren’t having a reserve team. I’d still expect them to be better than reserve standard.

19 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Makes sense if Leeds aren’t having a reserve team. I’d still expect them to be better than reserve standard.

Possibly, I've watched quite a bit of the Leeds U19 footage on YouTube but it's mainly just highlights so it's hard to tell. The standout performers from what I've seen are Oledzki (though he doesn't play for them very often), Newman,  hooker Corey Johnson, prop Thomas Holroyd and the other centre Jack Broadbent, but there's a big gulf in the physicality between those U19 games and the Championship.

Three of our recent young recruits have never played first-grade rugby and comments on the FB page the other day suggested we might be signing another guy from Fev Lions, so with so many inexperienced players it will be interesting to see if we are going down the reserves route, or indeed whether we are going to be in a position to make a run at some of the players who will be released from other clubs when the dust settles on the season to add a bit more experience to the 1st team squad.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Possibly, I've watched quite a bit of the Leeds U19 footage on YouTube but it's mainly just highlights so it's hard to tell. The standout performers from what I've seen are Oledzki (though he doesn't play for them very often), Newman,  hooker Corey Johnson, prop Thomas Holroyd and the other centre Jack Broadbent, but there's a big gulf in the physicality between those U19 games and the Championship.

Three of our recent young recruits have never played first-grade rugby and comments on the FB page the other day suggested we might be signing another guy from Fev Lions, so with so many inexperienced players it will be interesting to see if we are going down the reserves route, or indeed whether we are going to be in a position to make a run at some of the players who will be released from other clubs when the dust settles on the season to add a bit more experience to the 1st team squad.

Whose the player from Fev Lions?

Archived