Martyn Sadler

27 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Is it still Wakefield that own the ground?.

Fair question. I know things can be done in tandem with the council, if council owned. Dewsbury and particularly Batley have. I've done a little example of what can be done for little or nothing for outlay with the help of volunteers on another thread. Fev got a load of seats that Scarborough FC (rip) used to have. I believe they just had to pay a nominal fee and for transport.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Fair question. I know things can be done in tandem with the council, if council owned. Dewsbury and particularly Batley have. I've done a little example of what can be done for little or nothing for outlay with the help of volunteers on another thread. Fev got a load of seats that Scarborough FC (rip) used to have. I believe they just had to pay a nominal fee and for transport.

Fev got the whole structure of the stand from Scarborough F.C. i think most of their seats were red.So Fev obtained the blue and white ones from Leeds United at Elland Road.All put together by The Stand Volunteers though.

32 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Fev got the whole structure of the stand from Scarborough F.C. i think most of their seats were red.So Fev obtained the blue and white ones from Leeds United at Elland Road.All put together by The Stand Volunteers though.

Its a good point and something overlooked in this discussion. What Fev did wasn't a standard way of doing things. It took some inventiveness, opportunism, guile, hardwork and a bit of luck having a supporter group with the skills, time and endeavor to pull off something like salvaging a stand from a defunct club and rebuilding it. 

This was an extremely rare and indeed award winning option that isn't readily available to most. Having said that the investment in the Family stand 20 years ago was a more traditional club investment as are the training facilities. 

It is frustrating to see clubs go unrewarded for hard work and others seemingly rewarded for lack of progress. It really undermined the licensing process in my opinion.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

22 hours ago, gingdong said:

No true ponte lad would ever follow a cas team,

Absolute b******s!

Plenty of Cas fans in and around Ponte and always has been. Makes me laugh when Fev fans say this. If it were true your crowds might be better.

Page 5 and I'm not sure there has been a post about Martyn Sadler yet.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

9 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I keep hearing something about austerity. Could these be related?

The idea would be to hand over land to housebuilders or whatever and in return the council get a stadium that both Wakefield & Castleford can play in.If the council have to pay for fixtures and fitting like Warrington did "i believe" then thats a small price to pay for a stadium that would be making money as soon as it was opened

I think Agbrigg nailed it in an earlier post.

As a Cas fan, the Jungle will always relive great memories for me. The truth is however, it is not fit for purpose and is holding a forward looking club back.

Cas desperately need a new ground, that is not in question. The harder question is, how do they go about it other than hoping someone builds it for them. Sound familiar?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but all those years ago, if we had shown the same initiative as Fev, we may well have been in a totally different position.

What Fev has achieved is a credit to the club.

1 hour ago, Davc1h said:

Absolute b******s!

Plenty of Cas fans in and around Ponte and always has been. Makes me laugh when Fev fans say this. If it were true your crowds might be better.

Of course some Pomfretians have always supported Cas, but the percentage that do so now is way higher than it used to be.

I appreciate that it's not a scientific sample, but in my days at Carleton High (Ponte Boys to the older among us) in the 80s, I can honestly remember only 5 Cas fans.  And two of them had transferred from Airedale High. The vast majority supported the rovers.

20 years out of the top flight has gifted two generations to the Tigers.  I'm not moaning, it is what it is and is an inevitable consequence of our being in the 2nd division.

20 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Of course some Pomfretians have always supported Cas, but the percentage that do so now is way higher than it used to be.

I appreciate that it's not a scientific sample, but in my days at Carleton High (Ponte Boys to the older among us) in the 80s, I can honestly remember only 5 Cas fans.  And two of them had transferred from Airedale High. The vast majority supported the rovers.

20 years out of the top flight has gifted two generations to the Tigers.  I'm not moaning, it is what it is and is an inevitable consequence of our being in the 2nd division.

Plenty of truth in what you say David and I would not argue your point.

But to say no Ponte lad would follow Cas is, quite frankly, stupid IMO. I have been in and around Ponte all my life and there have always been Cas fans, albeit I concede there were more Fev fans.

I disagree. No proper self respecting person from Ponte would support cas. I'm a Ponte lad born and bred and the very thought of supporting anything to do with Cas makes my skin crawl. Same goes for all the lads I went to school with etc. It's like someone from east Hull following FC. It happens but it int right! ?

22 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Yep same experience here. I was at King's School Pontefract in the late 70s/80s and whilst about 20 of the 90 lads in my year were regulars at Post Office Road, there was only 1 Cas fan in the whole year group. Ponte was very much a Fev town in terms of RL, in those days at least.

5 hours ago, Jimmyvtec said:

I disagree. No proper self respecting person from Ponte would support cas. I'm a Ponte lad born and bred and the very thought of supporting anything to do with Cas makes my skin crawl. Same goes for all the lads I went to school with etc. It's like someone from east Hull following FC. It happens but it int right! ?

So who do you watch now?

On 7/31/2018 at 10:03 AM, Davc1h said:

Absolute b******s!

there is plenty but there normally the non drinking social outcasts with no sense of identity, no ones saying they should support rovers at all. cas lads and ponte lads traditionally dont like each other, thats why cas folk call the express Cas and ponte, as i said no TRUE ponte lad would follow any cas team.

18 hours ago, Davc1h said:

Plenty of truth in what you say David and I would not argue your point.

But to say no Ponte lad would follow Cas is, quite frankly, stupid IMO. I have been in and around Ponte all my life and there have always been Cas fans, albeit I concede there were more Fev fans.

i said no true ponte lad, read my other post

On 7/31/2018 at 6:12 PM, Just Browny said:

Page 5 and I'm not sure there has been a post about Martyn Sadler yet.

As someone implied earlier in the thread, you normally get a thread in your name when you kick the bucket, so I'm quite relieved not to have been mentioned much.

But the thread title does seem a little misleading, given its content.

Archived