Martyn Sadler

nice of him to point out to the new super league CEO when talking about ground shares on back chat that featherstone Rovers dont need to as they have managed a complete stadium refurbishment last few years without sky millions and also got some of the best training facilities in the game that his team Wakefield make use of as they have none of there own despite millions more from sky and 6 years relegation free to build up there infrastructure / business. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fair point,however much I enjoy both Castleford and Wakefield,their grounds are totally sub standard.Same applies to Bradford,they should not be allowed back into Super League,with their ground as it is.Problem is,there aren't 12 rl clubs,with grounds appropriate for sl.A big turn off for tv,neutrals,sponsors etc.

Interesting to ponder who would get in on PURE stadia terms.

Cas and Wakey gone. Fev, Leigh or Rochdale to replace them? Donny and soon York too maybe?

Not that I approve of this route...

7 minutes ago, ojx said:

I'd rather watch a game at Castleford or Wakefield on TV than at empty modern stadiums like Salford and Widnes, now those look truly depressing.

Absolutely. As someone who watches most of my rugby on TV, Cas always comes across as a cracking atmosphere whereas Hudds and even Wigan you can sense the empty spaces. So as long as they can accommodate the Sky production team, I don't think these grounds are an issue for TV, may even be a benefit. 

Whether they limit attraction for new fans and sponsors is a separate questions - my guess would be that they do, but in the end there are also clubs with modern grounds that seem to be treading water on those issues too. 

Just now, Ant said:

You ever watched an NRL game? You'd love it. You can count seats for days.

Well that sort of proves the point . Fuller more compact suburban grounds that they are smothering out come across far better as a viewer and for atmosphere 

How does it prove a point? The biggest most successful clubs play in world class grounds that often aren't full but produce terrific games. 

If I'm watching on tv I don't give a stuff about the atmosphere at the ground, just the quality on the pitch. 

If I'm at the ground then I care about the quality of the place. And Cas and Wakey are well, well past their use by date 

I hate topics that just start with someones name.  I always fear the worst.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

22 minutes ago, ojx said:

I'd rather watch a game at Castleford or Wakefield on TV than at empty modern stadiums like Salford and Widnes, now those look truly depressing.

Agreed, nothing worse than a soulless empty ground.  Especially if there's an echoing cow bell a la Fartown.

However, as a paying spectator you'd never want to actually visit Cas or Wakey's stadium.  Not unless you'd topped up your life insurance anyway.

Ullman loves visiting Wakey with his missus.

Sometimes he even pays to get in...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 minute ago, David Shepherd said:

Agreed, nothing worse than a soulless empty ground.  Especially if there's an echoing cow bell a la Fartown.

However, as a paying spectator you'd never want to actually visit Cas or Wakey's stadium.  Not unless you'd topped up your life insurance anyway.

Surely those grounds could be extensively renovated.  Having stadiums with some character could actually be a bonus for the sport.  

In baseball they made quirky stadiums a selling point, for example Wriggly Field and Fenway.

46 minutes ago, cookey said:

A fair point,however much I enjoy both Castleford and Wakefield,their grounds are totally sub standard.Same applies to Bradford,they should not be allowed back into Super League,with their ground as it is.Problem is,there aren't 12 rl clubs,with grounds appropriate for sl.A big turn off for tv,neutrals,sponsors etc.

Fev, Wakie and Cas should have built a community stadium years ago.

Odsal is crumbling, the South Bank and East stand are the only bits worth keeping. They don't open the Rooley Avenue end anymore and I can't see it being opened again unless work is done to it plus the supporters bar in the corner looks like it's going to fall over

13 minutes ago, ojx said:

Surely those grounds could be extensively renovated.  Having stadiums with some character could actually be a bonus for the sport.  

In baseball they made quirky stadiums a selling point, for example Wriggly Field and Fenway.

Yes indeed.  They most certainly could have been renovated.

Instead, the two clubs in question spent their Sky millions on the playing squad, even during the six years of relegation free licensing or "franchising".

The most laughable thing about that period is that stadia were one of the criteria for obtaining a license.  Both teams managed to retain their licenses by producing shiny drawings of fantasy new build stadiums. Not a brick was ever laid though.

During that time, the other WF club managed to erect two stands at their stadium, without having the benefit of the Sky funding.

10 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Fev, Wakie and Cas should have built a community stadium years ago.

All sorts of political reasons why that was never going to happen.

A stadium at the race track in Pontefract would be ideal for Fev and Cas to share, but as Fev have a decent stadium we've no need to move.

Anyway, Cas think they've finally scrounged one by the motorway.  I'll happily run naked along the M62 if a brick is ever laid.

3 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

All sorts of political reasons why that was never going to happen.

A stadium at the race track in Pontefract would be ideal for Fev and Cas to share, but as Fev have a decent stadium we've no need to move.

Anyway, Cas think they've finally scrounged one by the motorway.  I'll happily run naked along the M62 if a brick is ever laid.

Any club could have done what Fev did tbf. I'm still a little sceptical about Cas. I can see a new shopping outlet being built and a patch of wasteland where the stadium should be, time will tell. As for Wakefield I don't think a new stadium will ever be built at Belle Vue I think it'll stay as it is forever or they'll ground share with Dewsbury or fev

15 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Yes indeed.  They most certainly could have been renovated.

Instead, the two clubs in question spent their Sky millions on the playing squad, even during the six years of relegation free licensing or "franchising".

The most laughable thing about that period is that stadia were one of the criteria for obtaining a license.  Both teams managed to retain their licenses by producing shiny drawings of fantasy new build stadiums. Not a brick was ever laid though.

During that time, the other WF club managed to erect two stands at their stadium, without having the benefit of the Sky funding.

Totally agree, Fev have been excellent in what they have done. Gone way beyond Cas and Wakey. In fact it doesn't stop there, other SL clubs have done far less and its only sharing with soccer teams that have got them grounds.

And what has the RL world done to Fev in recognition for their achievement, absolutely naff all !

Looks like they are now destined to lower league existence for quite a while longer and their primary function in life is to exist as a feeder club for the mighty Rhinos.

Extremely unfair in my opinion.

42 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I hate topics that just start with someones name.  I always fear the worst.

Yeah, I dreaded seeing that the opening post was a simple 'RIP' :o 

...which would be a great shame - unlike some on here, I always enjoy his contribution to Back Chat!

7 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Any club could have done what Fev did tbf. I'm still a little sceptical about Cas. I can see a new shopping outlet being built and a patch of wasteland where the stadium should be, time will tell. As for Wakefield I don't think a new stadium will ever be built at Belle Vue I think it'll stay as it is forever or they'll ground share with Dewsbury or fev

I don't think the retail park will ever be built.  They're advertising it as a "Regional Shopping Centre" a la White Rose.

They've got four companies to sign letters of intent.  Of the four, one is Boots.  Not exactly a big draw, every high street has one.  One is M&S, who are rapidly closing stores, one is Next who already have a shop 500 yards away and the other is Primark, that well known destination of the well heeled fashionistas.

This is not a "Regional Shopping Centre" It's a smoke screen for a future housing development (of course IMHO).

As for Wakey, they'll never share with Fev.  That lets the council off far too easily, if they stay within the district there's no incentive to ever get them back in the city medium sized town.

3 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Totally agree, Fev have been excellent in what they have done. Gone way beyond Cas and Wakey. In fact it doesn't stop there, other SL clubs have done far less and its only sharing with soccer teams that have got them grounds.

And what has the RL world done to Fev in recognition for their achievement, absolutely naff all !

Looks like they are now destined to lower league existence for quite a while longer and their primary function in life is to exist as a feeder club for the mighty Rhinos.

Maybe if we had kept licensing Fev's efforts could have been recognised and Wakefield dumped. However the obsession with P&R has scuppered Fev for now.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I agree that Featherstone have done a good job with their programme of ground improvements.

Their biggest 'problem' (for want of a better term) is being situated in a small ex-pit village with a population of about 15000, with two other Sl clubs within a few miles. If they were in a different area, a different town, then we'd all be hailing them as one of the great 'success stories' of RL

5 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

We're not a super league club and in our hearts we know we never will be.

Won't stop us trying though.  If we could just get rid of the blasted DR arrangement with Leeds, all would be good.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

Maybe if we had kept licensing Fev's efforts could have been recognised and Wakefield dumped. However the obsession with P&R has scuppered Fev for now.

While ever the criteria was only being applied to those wanting to join, while those already there got away with it, Fev had no chance.

P&R has not scuppered Fev's chances.  A few wrong choices of our own did that for us.

1 minute ago, David Shepherd said:

While ever the criteria was only being applied to those wanting to join, while those already there got away with it, Fev had no chance.

P&R has not scuppered Fev's chances.  A few wrong choices of our own did that for us.

My post was a bit tongue in cheek, but as Fev were getting on quietly revamping their stadium I was tipping them as the dark horses for an SL spot in the next round of licensing. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived