Team names on forums

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Licence and license....I know the Americans can't cope with verb and noun forms but it's not hard.

I have a driving licence from the DVLA who license me to drive....

On the seppo tack.... when did 'attack' become 'offfffffense' (sic) and 'defence' become 'deeeeefense'?

England spends 99% of it's time crapping on about sovereignty yet can't be 4rsed defending our own damn language :)

And no USA there is no 'US English'.  There's English and there's incorrect.

10 hours ago, TheReaper said:

It always stands out as odd to me when Brits use plural words after singulars.

Eg "Toronto have won ten in a row"

Vs "Toronto has won ten in a row"

Because the city, or club (same thing in this case) is one thing. Now if you said "the Leafs have lost ten in a row" that makes sense,  because you're referring to a multiple.

Of course,  leaving aside the Leafs goofy pluralization. I had to use another team because the Wolfpack is actually a singular nickname and doesn't work for my example!

Because in this instance Toronto are a "they", i.e. they have won ten in a row. You wouldn't say they has won ten in a row.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

17 minutes ago, Scarey71 said:

Licence and license....I know the Americans can't cope with verb and noun forms but it's not hard.

On the seppo tack.... when did 'attack' become 'offfffffense' (sic) and 'defence' become 'deeeeefense'?

England spends 99% of it's time crapping on about sovereignty yet can't be 4rsed defending our own damn language :)

Then there’s ‘ good d ‘ . I mean really , defence isn’t to hard to say . And since when are kicks ‘ to big ‘ . To big for what ?

10 hours ago, TheReaper said:

It always stands out as odd to me when Brits use plural words after singulars.

Eg "Toronto have won ten in a row"

Vs "Toronto has won ten in a row"

Because the city, or club (same thing in this case) is one thing. Now if you said "the Leafs have lost ten in a row" that makes sense,  because you're referring to a multiple.

Of course,  leaving aside the Leafs goofy pluralization. I had to use another team because the Wolfpack is actually a singular nickname and doesn't work for my example!

From The Guardian and Observer styles guide:

teams
Sports teams take plural verbs: Wednesday were relegated again, Australia have won by an innings, etc; but note that in a business context, they are singular like other companies, eg Manchester United reported its biggest loss to date.

So when referring to Toronto (the team), they is used because it's a collective of people, a plural. I like Derwent's example as a guide - changing the name to its pronoun would be "they".

Reading "Hull has scored" is a real irritance ?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Manx RL said:

Shuds is the correct term. 

And even that is a shortened form of The Shuddersfield Giant Eagles.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Your and You're, Grrrr!

Gramma, the difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you're sh*t!

People who use the term 'Gramma Nazi' to try to put someone down who is trying to help them, you wouldn't call your English teacher one, would you?

My biggest irrational bugbear is the usurping of the word ‘tea’. More and more people are calling their evening meal ‘dinner’, I’ve also noticed ‘lunch’ becoming more prevalent, which isn’t too bad but calling the great institution that is Dinnerladies, ‘lunchladies’ is unacceptable. As I said completely irrational and I suppose, regional but it’s the sad indication of the world becoming more generic even in language.

2 hours ago, Yorkie44 said:

More and more people are calling their evening meal ‘dinner’, I’ve also noticed ‘lunch’ becoming more prevalent, which isn’t too bad but calling the great institution that is Dinnerladies, ‘lunchladies’ is unacceptable. As I said completely irrational and I suppose, regional but it’s the sad indication of the world becoming more generic even in language.

When I argue this I get the question "what do you take your pack up to work in?". I always reply "a dinner box".

rldfsignature.jpg

16 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Inappropriate use of the apostrophe in general gets on my wick.

They're, There and Their is another one.

But the one that really gets on my man boobs and makes me yell at the internet is "Loose", rather than "Lose".  It even takes more effort to get it wrong.

On the subject of TWP etc, can't say it worries me.

Some posters still refer to the championship as the "CC", when it hasn't been the CO-OP championship for years.

NL1 for the championship is another one.

Both of these are fairly irritating.

NRL gets my goat... but I'd like to think it would for most agree. ?

3 hours ago, Scarey71 said:

When did "harrased" become "harr assed" ?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

39 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

When I argue this I get the question "what do you take your pack up to work in?". I always reply "a dinner box".

They've already answered their question, it's a pack up! Or snap tin/box. But I do like your reply.

I used to feel outraged by much English usage that I heard or read, but am nowadays much more relaxed.  This is probably in part down to old(er) age, but also I have been won over by the prevailing thrust of the argument put forward by Oliver Kamm, who writes a regular Saturday column on English usage in The Times; it is called The Pedant.  One of his favourite tactics is turning up examples of allegedly bad English in the works of great writers from centuries past - Shakespeare, Austen, the Brontes and so on.  He has written a book too, which I recommend; it is Accidence will happen; the non-pedantic guide to English.

To his credit, Kamm is a stout defender of dialect constructions, arguing they are not 'bad' or 'wrong', but merely constructions in another form of English, which is neither superior or inferior to what is sometimes called The Queen's English. 

He also reminds his readers that the language changes constantly.  That doesn't mean it is getting worse.

The only context in which I have totally disagreed with him is his defence of the word 'unique' to mean very unusual.  To me it has such a usefully precise meaning that any dilution does, I confess, still irritate me.  I notice that estate agents are very keen on 'very unique' properties.  I have no idea exactly what that means!

We can, of course, all allow ourselves a smug thought or two about somebody else's idiosyncrasies.  I sometimes tell myself I really will bother to watch a whole SOO game when the Aussie commentators learn how to say 'maroons' properly!

As I say, I think we should all relax a bit...!

18 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I used to feel outraged by much English usage that I heard or read, but am nowadays much more relaxed.  This is probably in part down to old(er) age, but also I have been won over by the prevailing thrust of the argument put forward by Oliver Kamm, who writes a regular Saturday column on English usage in The Times; it is called The Pedant.  One of his favourite tactics is turning up examples of allegedly bad English in the works of great writers from centuries past - Shakespeare, Austen, the Brontes and so on.  He has written a book too, which I recommend; it is Accidence will happen; the non-pedantic guide to English.

To his credit, Kamm is a stout defender of dialect constructions, arguing they are not 'bad' or 'wrong', but merely constructions in another form of English, which is neither superior or inferior to what is sometimes called The Queen's English. 

He also reminds his readers that the language changes constantly.  That doesn't mean it is getting worse.

The only context in which I have totally disagreed with him is his defence of the word 'unique' to mean very unusual.  To me it has such a usefully precise meaning that any dilution does, I confess, still irritate me.  I notice that estate agents are very keen on 'very unique' properties.  I have no idea exactly what that means!

We can, of course, all allow ourselves a smug thought or two about somebody else's idiosyncrasies.  I sometimes tell myself I really will bother to watch a whole SOO game when the Aussie commentators learn how to say 'maroons' properly!

Very much so.... :)

You have no idea how annoying it was having to listen to American commentary for England v Croatia at the world cup. SemI (as in eye) final every other minute just irritated me beyond belief on top of us losing. Mexican commentary was better.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

It will be even better viewing if someone is on deboo.

rldfsignature.jpg

19 hours ago, Clogiron said:

This may become relevant sometime in the future but to distinguish a Canadian from a American listen to how they pronounce words like:. About and Out, the Canadian emphasis is on the 'u', see,I did learn something on my holidays years ago besides what a bl**dy  big country it is.

To be honest, to really tell the difference you need to hear the word, "process". In the US is comes out as, "prorrcess" and in Canada more like "prohhcess".

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Really?

I had you down as a bento box kind of person.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

On 8/1/2018 at 9:22 PM, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Ah, AB, you are touching on one of the great areas of sensitivity of corporate life, whether in the private, public or third sector; when do you describe an opinion expressed by one person as that of the company or organisation that they represent?  No easy answer from me, I'm afraid.  However, I can say that, as somebody who, in my now ended career, rose to the dizzy heights of chief officer for three not-for-profit bodies, and chief regional officer for a couple of 'quangos'...sorry, non-departmental public bodies...I might have been a bit miffed on occasions if my comments had been personally ascribed to me, rather than being said to be those of my organisation!

Other way round mate! How often, when folk were commenting on things "The RFL" did, were those actions in reality and essentially those of Wood, rather than the RFL board acting as a corporate body?

I agree entirely with your point about when it is the other way round.  That's why you will never hear me (as yet, anyway!) slag off Elstone for statements made as CEO of SL.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

So basically with brexit we should take back our language and make everyone invent their own , or with America put a big tariff on it . They all mash it up anyway 

<Trump mode> America removing superfluous letters from words gives them a HUUUUGE unfair trading advantage!  Not Fair!  We will slap a 25% tariff on them for the use of the English Language, that will teach them! </Trump Mode>

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

Archived