Team names on forums

Why do people insist on referring to Toronto as "TWP"? What's wrong with just Toronto?

No one hardly writes YCK, but York, or Salford rather than SRD, North and West Wales respectively are called North Wales and West Wales, not NWC or WWR yes, in some instances they do, but almost everytime i see Toronto referred it's "TWP"

I know it seems pedantic but it just seems to be a trendy, annoying thing to do, if you do have to abbreviate Toronto Wolfpack then it would be just TW as Wolfpack is just one word is it not?

Also TO for Toulouse, why not RH or KC ,SL or BB? is it just expansion clubs that get trendy acronyms.

Minor irritance gotten off chest

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, meast said:

Why do people insist on referring to Toronto as "TWP"? What's wrong with just Toronto?

No one hardly writes YCK, but York, or Salford rather than SRD, North and West Wales respectively are called North Wales and West Wales, not NWC or WWR yes, in some instances they do, but almost everytime i see Toronto referred it's "TWP"

I know it seems pedantic but it just seems to be a trendy, annoying thing to do, if you do have to abbreviate Toronto Wolfpack then it would be just TW as Wolfpack is just one word is it not?

Also TO for Toulouse, why not RH or KC ,SL or BB? is it just expansion clubs that get trendy acronyms.

Relax, meast!  Pour yourself a soothing glass of something agreeable!

I'm afraid you're right, it is a minor irritant - very minor!  There is a danger that we all start listing our personal bugbears, like people who say "gotten" when "got" will suffice, or don't know that "irritance" isn't actually a 'real' word - sorry!  For me it is actually people who cannot distinguish between when they should write "it's" and when "its", but - hey - life's too short to get too upset about such things.

The Toulouse issue is interesting.  Perhaps, those who write "TO" are giving a subtle nudge to the custodians of the BBC RL web pages.  For some odd reason, while they are perfectly happy with the Dewsbury Rams, Batley Bulldogs and Featherstone Rovers of the championship world, it is always just "Toulouse"!  Pourquoi?  Je ne sais pas!

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Relax, meast!  Pour yourself a soothing glass of something agreeable!

I'm afraid you're right, it is a minor irritant - very minor!  There is a danger that we all start listing our personal bugbears, like people who say "gotten" when "got" will suffice, or don't know that "irritance" isn't actually a 'real' word - sorry!  For me it is actually people who cannot distinguish between when they should write "it's" and when "its", but - hey - life's too short to get too upset about such things.

The Toulouse issue is interesting.  Perhaps, those who write "TO" are giving a subtle nudge to the custodians of the BBC RL web pages.  For some odd reason, while they are perfectly happy with the Dewsbury Rams, Batley Bulldogs and Featherstone Rovers of the championship world, it is always just "Toulouse"!  Pourquoi?  Je ne sais pas!

If you follow Toulouse you will know that their fans regularly sing "TO" at home games. Fair point about TWP but life perhaps is too short.

11 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

"it's" and when "its"

Inappropriate use of the apostrophe in general gets on my wick.

They're, There and Their is another one.

But the one that really gets on my man boobs and makes me yell at the internet is "Loose", rather than "Lose".  It even takes more effort to get it wrong.

On the subject of TWP etc, can't say it worries me.

Some posters still refer to the championship as the "CC", when it hasn't been the CO-OP championship for years.

NL1 for the championship is another one.

Both of these are fairly irritating.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If you follow Toulouse you will know that their fans regularly sing "TO" at home games. Fair point about TWP but life perhaps is too short.

Thanks, Scubby; I didn't know about the chanting of supporters at Toulouse.  I do support them, but in classic 'distant armchair' mode!

3 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Inappropriate use of the apostrophe in general gets on my wick.

They're, There and Their is another one.

But the one that really gets on my man boobs and makes me yell at the internet is "Loose", rather than "Lose".  It even takes more effort to get it wrong.

I agree with you about poor apostrophe use (or indeed, non-use when it should be used)  However, don't let me inadvertently get you all upset - don't loose it...oh, sorry!

The common abbreviation for Toronto is TO in Canada. Most Canadian cities have one Van, Vic, Mtl. But we already have one of them in France. 

Not sure where TWP came from, but it is much shorter. Have seen WWR quite often. HKR is written too. And that is not even much different to Hull KR! Or Rovers. But there are 2 of them as well.

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It’s the dual use of TO for both Toulouse and Toronto - both of which make perfect sense - that throws me. 

Maybe Toronto (and their followers) should defer to Toulouse Olympique, who - in RL terms - have a much longer pedigree, and - as Scubby has helpfully pointed out - have fans who chant 'TO' at their home games.

48 minutes ago, meast said:

You know what really matters, what is worth getting angry about? The use of the word "gotten".  ???

Starting a thread on minor irritants could see this one reaching record proportions...( of instead of have ‘ should of ‘ etc ) . Oh got me going now ! If only we had proper things to worry about !

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Maybe Toronto (and their followers) should defer to Toulouse Olympique, who - in RL terms - have a much longer pedigree, and - as Scubby has helpfully pointed out - have fans who chant 'TO' at their home games.

I've heard that TWP fans also chant 'TO' at their home games, unfortunately it's usually followed by 'the (Tardis-like) beer garden'.

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

You know what really matters, what is worth getting angry about? The use of the word "gotten".  ???

...unless it's in Gene Pitney's Something's gotten hold of my heart -  a fine song.  (and strictly speaking, Greenaway and Cook's song, not GP's)

Of course, those who study the history of the English language would point out that 'gotten' is a typically constructed past participle and, as such, would have been in common usage in England some centuries ago - my teasing of meast notwithstanding (and thanks for your generous reaction to it, meast)  It represents one of those words whose use has declined in this country while remaining prevalent 'across the pond' - a bit like 'fall' for 'autumn', for instance.

55 minutes ago, meast said:

Jeez, relax M

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

...unless it's in Gene Pitney's Something's gotten hold of my heart -  a fine song.  (and strictly speaking, Greenaway and Cook's song, not GP's)

Of course, those who study the history of the English language would point out that 'gotten' is a typically constructed past participle and, as such, would have been in common usage in England some centuries ago - my teasing of meast notwithstanding (and thanks for your generous reaction to it, meast)  It represents one of those words whose use has declined in this country while remaining prevalent 'across the pond' - a bit like 'fall' for 'autumn', for instance.

Who said two countries separated by a common language ? They certainly have their own strand of English . They also simplify words ( I won’t say for American brains ) like aluminum and thru 

What used to really get on my wick, was when for some strange reason nearly everyone used to insist on referring to

Nigel Wood as "The RFL"...

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

1 hour ago, meast said:

FFS STFU. JK*.

*Just kidding ?

rldfsignature.jpg

15 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Ah, but that is not my objecton.  Its just an ugly word and there is enough ugliness in the world as it is, as my mother announced on the day of my birth.

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Ah, but that is not my objecton.  Its just an ugly word and there is enough ugliness in the world as it is, as my mother announced on the day of my birth.

But I have always assumed, JM, that, if beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then so must ugliness be.  So can there be such a thing as 'an ugly word' per se?  I feel a Cambridge University tripos philosophy question coming on!

14 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

What used to really get on my wick, was when for some strange reason nearly everyone used to insist on referring to

Nigel Wood as "The RFL"...

Ah, AB, you are touching on one of the great areas of sensitivity of corporate life, whether in the private, public or third sector; when do you describe an opinion expressed by one person as that of the company or organisation that they represent?  No easy answer from me, I'm afraid.  However, I can say that, as somebody who, in my now ended career, rose to the dizzy heights of chief officer for three not-for-profit bodies, and chief regional officer for a couple of 'quangos'...sorry, non-departmental public bodies...I might have been a bit miffed on occasions if my comments had been personally ascribed to me, rather than being said to be those of my organisation!

25 minutes ago, JohnM said:

As Les Dawson said , I was such an ugly baby the midwife slapped my mother ... and my mother wouldn’t breastfeed me she said she only wanted me as a friend 

I frequently use YCK for my programme notes, sorry! Its when people put players nicknames, that's when I struggle. Took me ages to work out who 'Buster' is (James Feather)!

Personally I associate Toronto with Wolfpack more than I do Salford with Red Devils. Everytime I say the team name in my head I add Wolfpack naturally whereas I don’t with Salford. Hence TWP. It’s a much more North American thing to refer to a team by an animal rather than by a place so it might be that it is being pushed more through their marketing and their fans.

Stragely I also think the branding of Leeds Rhinos and Bradford Bulls sticks in my head more than Leigh Centurians or Widnes Vikings but in general Id only refer to English teams by the town.

HKR is just an easier way to differentiate from Hull FC.

Probably because Toronto is long and a bit goofy to type, TO is ambiguous on this forum, and it's common to use a 3 letter acronym for scoreboards,  etc. As well, even though "Wolfpack" may be one word, it's made of two words, and isn't even always presented as one (you don't even have to leave Canadian rugby, the Prairie Wolf Pack in the CRC uses two words).

But TO is such an ingrained shorthand for Toronto that y'all better just get used to it.  People literally say "Tee-oh", it isn't just some typing shortcut. You might say " oh, spent the weekend in Tee-oh checking out breweries" and nobody would bat an eye.

Archived