Team names on forums

I know next to nothing about the super rugby malarkey in the Southern Hemisphere but I’m always bemused by a league table saying things like bulls , sharks , leopards , blues etc . I associate teams with places and how do you engage new interest when all you see is a load of generic nicknames . Where are these brands from is what I want to know but often they use nicknames exclusively . Divergence there but it always seems strange to someone not immersed in it 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fartown anyone?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

This may become relevant sometime in the future but to distinguish a Canadian from a American listen to how they pronounce words like:. About and Out, the Canadian emphasis is on the 'u', see,I did learn something on my holidays years ago besides what a bl**dy  big country it is.

22 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

But TO is such an ingrained shorthand for Toronto that y'all better just get used to it.  People literally say "Tee-oh", it isn't just some typing shortcut. You might say " oh, spent the weekend in Tee-oh checking out breweries" and nobody would bat an eye.

Wait 'til they sign Ben Te'o - things will really get confusing!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

This may become relevant sometime in the future but to distinguish a Canadian from a American listen to how they pronounce words like:. About and Out, the Canadian emphasis is on the 'u', see,I did learn something on my holidays years ago besides what a bl**dy  big country it is.

As Stuart Francis often says “National stereotyping. What’s that all aboot?”.

rldfsignature.jpg

11 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

As Stuart Francis often says “National stereotyping. What’s that all aboot?”.

I've heard that we say "aboot" but unlike a lot of other stereotypes I have no idea where that one comes from. Never heard a person say aboot in my life. 

8 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

I've heard that we say "aboot" but unlike a lot of other stereotypes I have no idea where that one comes from. Never heard a person say aboot in my life. 

It isn't overt, but I hear more of a subtle "oo" or perhaps "oa" vowel sound in the Canadian "about", compared to the same words spoken by someone from the USA. Near the border, of course, things get a little blurred. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

the ridiculous use of the phrase "for mine" is my biggest irritation by a country mile - closely followed by Ant the miserable HG fan

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

It always stands out as odd to me when Brits use plural words after singulars.

Eg "Toronto have won ten in a row"

Vs "Toronto has won ten in a row"

Because the city, or club (same thing in this case) is one thing. Now if you said "the Leafs have lost ten in a row" that makes sense,  because you're referring to a multiple.

Of course,  leaving aside the Leafs goofy pluralization. I had to use another team because the Wolfpack is actually a singular nickname and doesn't work for my example!

3 hours ago, meast said:

Why do people insist on referring to Toronto as "TWP"? What's wrong with just Toronto?

No one hardly writes YCK, but York, or Salford rather than SRD, North and West Wales respectively are called North Wales and West Wales, not NWC or WWR yes, in some instances they do, but almost everytime i see Toronto referred it's "TWP"

I know it seems pedantic but it just seems to be a trendy, annoying thing to do, if you do have to abbreviate Toronto Wolfpack then it would be just TW as Wolfpack is just one word is it not?

Also TO for Toulouse, why not RH or KC ,SL or BB? is it just expansion clubs that get trendy acronyms.

Minor irritance gotten off chest

I haven't read any of the posts apart from the OP, but on other forums I frequent a lot of people shorten everything.  I can be reading something about a band I listen to and people abbreviate the song title to the initial letters and I have no idea what they are talking about.  I have to look through the discography to see what they are talking about.

At the rate it is going, we will just end up using the initial letter of each word and others have to guess what is been said.

3 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

I haven't read any of the posts apart from the OP, but on other forums I frequent a lot of people shorten everything.  I can be reading something about a band I listen to and people abbreviate the song title to the initial letters and I have no idea what they are talking about.  I have to look through the discography to see what they are talking about.

At the rate it is going, we will just end up using the initial letter of each word and others have to guess what is been said.

To be fair, it is much quicker for Frank Zappa fans to type YCDTOSA as an album title than 'You can't do that on stage anymore'.

And, as for fans of the movie 'The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies', I think it is just a RSI-avoidance technique.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, meast said:

Why do people insist on referring to Toronto as "TWP"? What's wrong with just Toronto?

No one hardly writes YCK, but York, or Salford rather than SRD, North and West Wales respectively are called North Wales and West Wales, not NWC or WWR yes, in some instances they do, but almost everytime i see Toronto referred it's "TWP"

I know it seems pedantic but it just seems to be a trendy, annoying thing to do, if you do have to abbreviate Toronto Wolfpack then it would be just TW as Wolfpack is just one word is it not?

Also TO for Toulouse, why not RH or KC ,SL or BB? is it just expansion clubs that get trendy acronyms.

Minor irritance gotten off chest

Why do the Giants fanbase always refer to them as Fartown ? That is history is it not ?

18 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Why do the Giants fanbase always refer to them as Fartown ? That is history is it not ?

Why do the Football team in Highbury still name themselves after the Arsenal at Woolwich, which is 12 miles away?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The phrase "à la" when used by Rugby League commentators really annoys me when the rest of the sentence is in English/Northern. Especially the Ray French phrase "à la rugby union style" as if whatever it was was so sophisticated it requires being prefixed by speaking in French.

Stevo also liked this form of words.

10 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Relax, meast!  Pour yourself a soothing glass of something agreeable!

I'm afraid you're right, it is a minor irritant - very minor!  There is a danger that we all start listing our personal bugbears, like people who say "gotten" when "got" will suffice, or don't know that "irritance" isn't actually a 'real' word - sorry!  For me it is actually people who cannot distinguish between when they should write "it's" and when "its", but - hey - life's too short to get too upset about such things.

The Toulouse issue is interesting.  Perhaps, those who write "TO" are giving a subtle nudge to the custodians of the BBC RL web pages.  For some odd reason, while they are perfectly happy with the Dewsbury Rams, Batley Bulldogs and Featherstone Rovers of the championship world, it is always just "Toulouse"!  Pourquoi?  Je ne sais pas!

It is rare that American English is more complex but for the perfect and imperfect past tense it has:
- "I have gotten"
- "I got"

Whereas British English has:
- "I have got"
- "I got"

The Its/it's, their/they're/there and where/were can cause a little confusion but are minor and excusable.

I like your Toulouse (Olympique) thoughts.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived