15-16 Sept: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

4 hours ago, DEANO said:

I see west Wales never gave up again

46 players were on international duty with Wales in Serbia and 24 players were put off playing by the big bad wolf aka Peter Martini of York Press calling them whipping boys ;-)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rob Nash said:

A disgrace and an embarrassment to to the sport. I'm only glad that such as it was our massacre was against 17 players. They tried though eh. Pathetic. Apologists please correct me. My club has been awful for a long period of it's history ( there's a documentary about it) but this is unacceptable. Over to you Angelic Cynic.

Oh,man!  I had listened to some relaxing music and just reached my Mushin no shin after the bad news from those whose love of money is the root of all evil,and with the end of rugby league nigh.Then there is a chance of York continuing dual reg with Hull KR after tonights result - and you want an explanation about the mighty West Wales Raiders?

Okay.It's not perfect but heartland clubs with a history and tradition of Rochdale Hornets and Featherstone Rovers,and relative baby club at League 1 level,Hemel Stags have,on occasion,this year,not been able to play with the full complement of players.

Our injuries have been detrimental since prior to the season start.The transfer deadline prevents any signings from the community clubs.The transfer deadline was at the end of July.

I think the governing body,prior to their emasculation by that group with their association football experience,lawyers and bankers,have had their uber-professionalism distracted by money grabs and power grabs under cover of structure changes,and the problems encountered by clubs outside of the Elite League have not been addressed.

I have huge respect for the owner of the club who has met with disaster and further disaster,( in sporting terms ) and treat both imposters with incredible insouciance and temperament.Not forgetting,continuing the finance!

The owner and the CEO have got through a huge amount of work enabling and encouraging players of all ages throughout south and west Wales.

The club has remained stoic throughout this campaign from hell.

I thought Keighley played well and Benn Hardcastle gave the ultimate demonstration of what practise can make when it comes to his overall play,and especially his kicking.( I think his half back partner from earlier in the season went to a dual reg club in the same division who have been able to use players from the Elite League - the club,I take it,being one you follow )

Tough year of baptism for West Wales Raiders.Been well and truly burnt.

The phoenix from the flames will hopefully be as good as this year has been bad.

Do I think clubs should be punished for not having a full 13 starting?  Probably,but only after the facts have been investigated.

I'm guessing that every official of the club,every supporter who entered the stadium,and more importantly the players who sweated blood for the club,would much preferred to have had the full team available.

But,sometimes in life it seems those who abdicate responsibility get away with it,without conscience. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

3 hours ago, AB Knight said:

If someone can explain what the DR arrangement between Hull KR and York has to do with West Wales losing heavily yet again please do let me know!

I have no idea. I can only assume from the high horse that KR and FC we're confused. Even so an irrelevant point as to the best of my knowledge neither league 1 club are currently relying on DR to feild 17 players. Heaven forbid that a club should be expected to actually think more than one game ahead though. 

7 hours ago, Rob Nash said:

I have no idea. I can only assume from the high horse that KR and FC we're confused. Even so an irrelevant point as to the best of my knowledge neither league 1 club are currently relying on DR to feild 17 players. Heaven forbid that a club should be expected to actually think more than one game ahead though. 

In York's case after today's match they'll have had 38 DR appearances over the 25 rounds. 

In simple terms, that averages out at 1.5 DR apps per match. Whether we agree with the system, and I have mixed feelings, every club in League 1 is welcome to use it. Including our friends in Llanelli.  

2 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

In York's case after today's match they'll have had 38 DR appearances over the 25 rounds. 

In simple terms, that averages out at 1.5 DR apps per match. Whether we agree with the system, and I have mixed feelings, every club in League 1 is welcome to use it. Including our friends in Llanelli.  

I don’t disagree with you AB but I wouldn’t want to see a L1 team become too dependent on DR because at some point their partner club will have an injury crisis/suspensions and will limit the L1 team’s options. Sometimes drastically. It should be a help not a necessity.

rldfsignature.jpg

53 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Agree with you on your feelings on it . If it went I’d be happy and everyone stood equally on their merits  , but you can  use something if the option is there . Also , it’s often only something that attracts barbed comments when you’re doing rather well...

26 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I don’t disagree with you AB but I wouldn’t want to see a L1 team become too dependent on DR because at some point their partner club will have an injury crisis/suspensions and will limit the L1 team’s options. Sometimes drastically. It should be a help not a necessity.

Fully agree, I hope at some point we can either have a reserves league in place or season long loans....I just don't understand why our Welsh friend alluded to it when defending WWR. Each to their own I guess 

I'm probably more against it than for it tbh but it'd be hipocritical of me to decry it. I do suspect that going forward we'll be less reliant on it but it's largely been a success for us. If we could have Litten and Miloudi every week no strings attached I would not complain. However Mr Pearson's recent comments have put all parties in a very difficult position.

2 hours ago, AB Knight said:

But its not that easy. Part time players cannot/ willnot commit to travel. It is relatively easy for M62 corridor based players to DR to " local" clubs. It is much harder for them to commit to W.Wales, The South or even Cumbria.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

5 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Fully agree, I hope at some point we can either have a reserves league in place or season long loans....I just don't understand why our Welsh friend alluded to it when defending WWR. Each to their own I guess 

It came to mind with the Hull KR victory which may lead to that club retaining it's place in Super League,ergo,if YCK play in The Championship - a dual reg can continue.If both in the same league,it can't.Well,not as I type this.

It was also in my mind that last week,when Halifax played Hull KR,for a place in Super League - Halifax were NOT permitted to play Kieren Moss - the main protagonist when your club enjoyed a world record - against a baby League 1 side.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/kieran-moss-joins-halifax-for-remainder-of-2018-season/

I did address my reply to someone else.

Keighley Cougars did very well,yesterday,without any Super League superstars.Which was part of my point.Congratulations to them.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

And Newcastle handing out a thrashing to Hunslet

Non-heartland clubs maybe ruining the promotion plans for some of the heartland teams? Love it...

Define heartland. We aren't and never have been. Now if we we're 20 miles further north.

Newcastle are clearly a force. Was impressed with Dons today and Coventry putting up a great fight. Shows how L1 can help clubs build. 

Skolars though yet again let down by poor discipline. Groundhog Day this season. 

55 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It came to mind with the Hull KR victory which may lead to that club retaining it's place in Super League,ergo,if YCK play in The Championship - a dual reg can continue.If both in the same league,it can't.Well,not as I type this.

It was also in my mind that last week,when Halifax played Hull KR,for a place in Super League - Halifax were NOT permitted to play Kieren Moss - the main protagonist when your club enjoyed a world record - against a baby League 1 side.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/kieran-moss-joins-halifax-for-remainder-of-2018-season/

I did address my reply to someone else.

Keighley Cougars did very well,yesterday,without any Super League superstars.Which was part of my point.Congratulations to them.

Boy your dummy spitting petulance gets tiresome.

Bulls were lucky that Oldham had a man sent off, otherwise they could easily have lost today. To be fair our defense wasn't too bad but attacking options in the second half were atrocious. Worse still Oldham were down to ten men and the Bulls were right on the line and still couldn't score, opting to drive it in from dummy half rather than spread it and use the advantage. Some of the players must be thick. Doesn't bode well for a team supposedly ramping up to playing in the playoffs, and I certainly wouldn't want to play Oldham again as they are finishing really well and can feel a bit unlucky today. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

1 minute ago, fairfolly said:

According to the reports on radio Oldham had 2 men sent off and one in the bin at the end.Is that correct Amber.

Yes, the first sending off was at the start of the second half, then a second red card and sin bin with about 5 mins left 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

6 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Sounds like a classic at Oldham and Coventry have come away from Cumbria with a respectable scoreline and performance.

My contacts at Coventry are gutted they didn't win - it would have bettered the result against Keighley had they sneaked it. Onwards and upwards for them next year.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 minutes ago, tim2 said:

My contacts at Coventry are gutted they didn't win - it would have bettered the result against Keighley had they sneaked it. Onwards and upwards for them next year.

There aren't many go up to the Rec and push Haven that close. From highlights ive caught online, Bears have played some really attractive, enterprising rugby this year. Really hope they can kick on.

I'm abroad at the moment so didn't get to the game but as a Bears fan am gutted they couldn't see out the win at Haven. Apparently a controversial try in the last minute to win it too. Hasn't been all roses this year but this group of players have shown on many occasions they can compete in this league. With many players to be retained for next year there's a real chance to build something. 

Archived