Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

Job is too big for Rimmer?

I met Ralph Rimmer some years ago when we were trying to restart rugby league in Liverpool. Was unimpressed then as I am today and was utterly despondent when he got the job. Agree with most comments on here - whole situation is going from bad to worse with the possible exception of Elstone who may be a breath of fresh air. 

The big question for me is how do we supporters get our voices heard and bring about change? Can we get together, can we write to someone who can hold Rimmer to account? What are our options to get something done - rather than just complaining on here?

The disaster of the French International alone shows the competence of Mr Rimmer. Why on earth it was played on a Wednesday Night at Leigh with zero marketing is anybodys guess. Even fans of the Sport didnt often know there was a game on. Add to such things as the extra game added that Swinton & Workington played in, the toss of a coin to decide home advantage and the farcical way teams were running around with 14 players not 17 on match day etc etc. Then I feel we are right to question what exactly is Mr Rimmer doing and whether he is the right man for the job.

• Like 3

Elstone has come in at a reduced salary (yes, really) and is an excellent capture.  People are upset at his wage.

Rimmer knows the game inside out, and is cheaper.  People are upset we do not have a bigger name from outside.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

41 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Elstone has come in at a reduced salary (yes, really) and is an excellent capture.  People are upset at his wage.

Rimmer knows the game inside out, and is cheaper.  People are upset we do not have a bigger name from outside.

I'm not bothered about having 'a bigger name'. I just want someone who is competent at his job.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

You are standing the issue on its head. 

There are very few professional teams in the RLF. Barely enough to cover a league in the first place.  Most clubs are not viable on a part time basis, never mind full time.  Unless we stop this nonsense and stop it now, we will export any remaining pretence of quality off to to Australia.

There are between 35 to 40 clubs who are in a structure. The greater part of them should be open, ie outside of SL. By open they should be amateur with the exception of a salary cap for a finite number of players who are paid (full or part). The rest are amateur, possibly with a modest win bonus (and advise of course the IR).

The existing amateur clubs can join in. The purpose of these clubs is to produce better players up to a higher tier, ultimately they should be for their own social and community benefit. 

Yes, money should be filtered down to these clubs via TV money... some of it... again to the benefit of all the game.  But the tail should not wag the dog. More success for SL gives money to the lower tier.

Once we get to that stage, then and only then, probably when I am dead and buried (hoorah I hear you say!) can we consider expansion. 

I should add that relegating perfectly good broadly thriving clubs from SL, as part of a horse trading deal with the Championship, is criminal.

Do you enjoy recycling arguments on threads which are nothing to do with your points?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I'd say many people on here know the game inside out, it doesn't make them qualified to be the CEO of the RFL though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Money already goes out and down from the TV money.  But in any event your comment on that is irrellivent to what else I was saying.

Why do you always comment on every post as if your the almighty and your opinion is gospel, correct or the only way and if you think the amount of corn being directed downwards is enough your dreaming again, it's just about enough to keep the peasants just below the revolution.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

11 hours ago, RoverBear said:

On the challenge cup, has anything been announce at all about round structure, number of teams etc? Given the previous method was linked to the league structure etc?

Maybe the recent attempt to buy Wembley has had a bearing on the Challenge up date.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

He seemed to be doing well and represented himself well in the bar with Argyle before the Million Pound Game...seemed to be on good behaviour and dressed properly.

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

He seemed to be doing well and represented himself well in the bar with Argyle before the Million Pound Game...seemed to be on good behaviour and dressed properly.

Not wearing an England Rugby Union scarf?

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 10:05 PM, Odsal Outlaw said:

A good thread topic and I agree the current signs are not great, we’ve seen nothing yet of note but plenty to suggest he is out his depth.  

Ive been thinking a lot recently whether some sort of collective fan action could have an impact.  What would happen if a campaign started to boycott key RFL events? Or could we have a ‘Rimmer Round’ in SL where fans boycott games? Would this start to send a message to RFL and force change? It would harm the sport short term but that may be a price worth paying?

I say this a little tongue in cheek but equally sadly there is a point... but would anyone notice? crowds declining anyway and its not like there has been vocal rumbling around clubs anyway including the fact SL are so disillusioned that they seem to want to leave the whole RFL stable again.

Its screaming at the RFL they have an issue but there seems to be no one in there (this isnt just Rimmer he cannot do it all on his own and needs other people to furnish him with possibilities etc) who can actually come up with an idea of how to sort it.

Surely its not hard to say... "right if we were to start again how would we do it?" come up with a blue print then start adapting what you have now towards that... marketing budgets etc all being adjusted to suit and so on.. the same way as if a company is taken over out of administration (which I cant imagine the RFL is far from anyway!)

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

Why do you always comment on every post as if your the almighty and your opinion is gospel, correct or the only way and if you think the amount of corn being directed downwards is enough your dreaming again, it's just about enough to keep the peasants just below the revolution.

Take the blinkers off.

Your prejudice, which implies that someone is talking about 'peasants', is offensive.  The game needs to restructure. Its the SL money, made from the TV, which is keeping it afloat. 

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

.....  The game needs to restructure ......

You are probably right. Would you like to identify what you believe are the major elements of this restructure? An approximate quantitative analysis of the benefits of each element would be interesting. And an assessment of any possible negative effects, of course. A serious task for you, perhaps, but it would very much enhance this thread, and could be the springboard to a significant debate of the fans’ beliefs about the future of the game.

3 minutes ago, Cerulean said:

You are probably right. Would you like to identify what you believe are the major elements of this restructure? An approximate quantitative analysis of the benefits of each element would be interesting. And an assessment of any possible negative effects, of course. A serious task for you, perhaps, but it would very much enhance this thread, and could be the springboard to a significant debate of the fans’ beliefs about the future of the game.

You want to pay me for all this analysis?

In any event, go and look upthread (or elsewhere)  and read my opinion and advice. I've given my springboard and it's better than Rimmers (if he has one at all),  possibly yours, and probably most of the other chairmen whose 2nd/3rd tier clubs who are blinkered and ever anxious to spend the money created by Superleague. 

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Take the blinkers off.

Your prejudice, which implies that someone is talking about 'peasants', is offensive.  The game needs to restructure. Its the SL money, made from the TV, which is keeping it afloat. 

The game needs two things:
1) Bigger clubs
2) More affluent fan base
3) To adapt to any changes in the future market.

The goal might well be to become a second rate international sport.  If that does not sound hopeful, they you are naive about where we are.

The first two can be achieved by moving into markets where these is an affluent audience that will accept rugby league.  Whether than be in Oslo or Manchester does not matter, which ever is the least competitive and open.

The third can be done once the future market place is determined.

• Like 2

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

You want to pay me for all this analysis?

In any event, go and look upthread (or elsewhere)  and read my opinion and advice. I've given my springboard and it's better than Rimmers (if he has one at all),  possibly yours, and probably most of the other chairmen whose 2nd/3rd tier clubs who are blinkered and ever anxious to spend the money created by Superleague. 

Rupert, I approve of your attitude.  As long as you will be making solid steps to make this happen.  That is the thing with rugby league, if you can make it happen you are welcome to try.  If so, pm me.

8 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Not wearing an England Rugby Union scarf?

No.

17 hours ago, Kayakman said:

And how exactly does this show he is capable of doing the job for which he is employed? Any bunco artist knows how to present a good  "front", Perez springs to mind as well. 

59 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

You are in the dreamworld. Unless rugby league focusses on its future it won't be worth tuppence.

I have lived in the real world for many decades and have never met a Rupert or a Prince but have been around Rugby League for a large portion of my life. Super League is a subset of Rugby league not the other way around. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

And how exactly does this show he is capable of doing the job for which he is employed? Any bunco artist knows how to present a good  "front", Perez springs to mind as well. 

Well Ii think its a good start...its always good to support people if they have a difficult task.

Edited by Kayakman

40 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Well Ii think its a good start...its always good to support people if they have a difficult task.

Rimmer is a politician the RFL is political environment which is why he has risen to the top.

Politicians are good at two things the ability to speak without answering a questions and always making people think they are getting what they want.

But the game at the moment needs a visionary.  Someone who can change the culture of the RFL and bring people into the sport with talent.

Please try and respond without talking about Toronto.

• Like 1