Sign in to follow this  
Moscow01

Keighley

The Telegraph & Argus saying that the local mp had a discussion with Rimmer last night and the usual platitudes seemed to be forthcoming,the RL seeking clarification of the situation and the club included in the forthcoming fixtures, valubale member of the RFL blady, blady blah. Everything you have come to expect really, and so it drags on.........

With the fixtures due to be released on Sunday night and no suggestion of the club being rescued by a takeover,it will be interesting to see if they are given further time to make the start of 2019.

York City Knights were in recent times and their supporters seem to have enjoyed happier times this year.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/14818876.CONFIRMED__York_City_Knights_NOT_in_2017_fixture_list___yet/

Nice to see the governing body had their finger on the pulse with this;what with the head coach not being paid for the past 5 months

and suchlike.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

So Austria Holdings have finally emerged to say that they only owe one month's payments, Lingards payment backlog is down to the previous owners and all creditor's will be payed by the end of the year, it's all 'fake news' and the meeting scheduled for tonight with supporters is cancelled, suprise, suprise. Believe of that what you will but with such a lack of real governance in the game they know they won't be held to account whatever they say or don't say.

31 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

So Austria Holdings have finally emerged to say that they only owe one month's payments, Lingards payment backlog is down to the previous owners and all creditor's will be payed by the end of the year, it's all 'fake news' and the meeting scheduled for tonight with supporters is cancelled, suprise, suprise. Believe of that what you will but with such a lack of real governance in the game they know they won't be held to account whatever they say or don't say.

Swiftly deleted their post, think it's safe to assume we can believe the players over Austria Holdings.

Meeting set to go ahead (it was being run by the supporters club and not hosted at cougar park so it was never the clubs meeting to cancel in the first place). The statement in my opinion comes across as an attempt to sabotage the meeting and prevent people coming together to communicate, which is probably also why they deleted the Facebook page.

Steve Gill will no longer be attending the meeting (make of that what you will). Craig Lingard will be there. If anything new/interesting is said I'll update here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

Swiftly deleted their post, think it's safe to assume we can believe the players over Austria Holdings.

Meeting set to go ahead (it was being run by the supporters club and not hosted at cougar park so it was never the clubs meeting to cancel in the first place). The statement in my opinion comes across as an attempt to sabotage the meeting and prevent people coming together to communicate, which is probably also why they deleted the Facebook page.

Steve Gill will no longer be attending the meeting (make of that what you will). Craig Lingard will be there. If anything new/interesting is said I'll update here.

Why does everyone use the name "Austria Holdings"? Isn't it just one guy? Why not use his name?

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Quite what do you expect the RFL to do with regards to the private running’s of a club?

10 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Quite what do you expect the RFL to do with regards to the private running’s of a club?

Isn't there a fit and proper persons criteria involved in taking on the running of a club? What about bringing the game into disrepute.The RFL is there to see to the overall governance of the game believe it or not and the fact that they seem incapable of carrying that out doesn't absolve them of the duty or do you think that the event's happening at Keighley and Leigh and  with numerous other allegedly 'questionable' owners in the recent and distant past are good for the game, Keighley themselves have run the gamut from drug dealers to fraudsters as owners in the past, it's all there with convictions included if you care to investigate, I'm not going to do it for you, and I would think it's highly unlikely that they are the only club that have been through such situations, so if the games rules don't meet such event's maybe its high time they were changed to do so.

4 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Isn't there a fit and proper persons criteria involved in taking on the running of a club? What about bringing the game into disrepute.The RFL is there to see to the overall governance of the game believe it or not and the fact that they seem incapable of carrying that out doesn't absolve them of the duty or do you think that the event's happening at Keighley and Leigh and  with numerous other allegedly 'questionable' owners in the recent and distant past are good for the game, Keighley themselves have run the gamut from drug dealers to fraudsters as owners in the past, it's all there with convictions included if you care to investigate, I'm not going to do it for you, and I would think it's highly unlikely that they are the only club that have been through such situations, so if the games rules don't meet such event's maybe its high time they were changed to do so.

A 'fit and proper' persons test is a minimum bar, it doesn't exclude walter mittys, bad attitudes or plenty of questionable owners.  Not sure that legally it could?  Spent convictions etc, might be a legal minefield.  

Sometimes clubs need to look at themselves and who they bring on board.  

• Like 3

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Just now, Clogiron said:

Ok let me dissect that..........

A fit and proper persons test can really only look at the individuals background and whether they’ve been involved in past insolvencies, personally or in business (the latter does not necessarily mean they are unfit either). How those people run a private business cannot be envisaged by the RFL in advance - they don’t have a crystal ball and they’re not running these private businesses themselves. You only have to look at football to see other instances of fit and proper tests, which are really only basic checks and even then there’s a huge amount of dirty money running through football. 

The RFL could take the extreme measure of removing Keighley’s licence and putting them in special measures but this would be last resort as it would likely mean no professional footy for Keighley in 2019 - is this what you’re advocating?

The best that can be hoped for is a combination of the council, supporters groups, sponsors and RFL to put pressure on for the owners to run the club responsibly or cede control, the latter of which would require someone else able and willing to come in and pick up the baton, and debt 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clogiron said:

News of which was tweeted from the club account, in a statement from Keithley Cougars. Yes, Keithley Cougars. I kid you not!.

Ramifications could be quite serious for league 1, if they go belly up, it's not fair on the rest of the league. RFL need to clear the situation up ASAP. 

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

A 'fit and proper' persons test is a minimum bar, it doesn't exclude walter mittys, bad attitudes or plenty of questionable owners.  Not sure that legally it could?  Spent convictions etc, might be a legal minefield.  

Sometimes clubs need to look at themselves and who they bring on board.  

Isn't it a case of any port in a storm?

The game as a whole needs to look to it's self and to prevent these all too regular events from happening if it want's to be taken seriously. Why not make it a requirement for a bond to be placed with the RFL/SL as a requirement of membership, obviously it would vary from division to division but in the event of a club failling it could be used to recompense creditor's, legally how it stands with tax debts, preferred creditor's I don't know as I'm not a lawyer but other sports have such requirements so it can be done. If the likes of Keighley, WWR, Rochdale, Hunslet, Whitehaven etc can't raise it then they can't meet the minimum requirements of the game. It might put a stop to some of the chancers who blight the game through time.

Edited by Clogiron
Error

22 minutes ago, newbe said:

Ramifications could be quite serious for league 1, if they go belly up, it's not fair on the rest of the league. RFL need to clear the situation up ASAP. 

I think that they are anxious to do so. What they can't do is find anyone in authority at the club to seriously answer any questions.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

19 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Isn't it a case of any port in a storm?

The game as a whole needs to look to it's self and to prevent these all too regular events from happening if it want's to be taken seriously. Why not make it a requirement for a bond to be placed with the RFL/SL as a requirement of membership, obviously it would vary from division to division but in the event of a club failling it could be used to recompense creditor's, legally how it stands with tax debts, preferred creditor's I don't know as I'm not a lawyer but other sports have such requirements so it can be done. If the likes of Keighley, WWR, Rochdale, Hunslet, Whitehaven etc can't raise it then they can't meet the minimum requirements of the game. It might put a stop to some of the chancers who blight the game through time.

And probably kill off half of the existing clubs at a stroke. You are thrashing about to prove your point that this is down to the incomeptence of the RFL - it isn't.

• Like 4

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Ok let me dissect that..........

A fit and proper persons test can really only look at the individuals background and whether they’ve been involved in past insolvencies, personally or in business (the latter does not necessarily mean they are unfit either). How those people run a private business cannot be envisaged by the RFL in advance - they don’t have a crystal ball and they’re not running these private businesses themselves. You only have to look at football to see other instances of fit and proper tests, which are really only basic checks and even then there’s a huge amount of dirty money running through football. 

The RFL could take the extreme measure of removing Keighley’s licence and putting them in special measures but this would be last resort as it would likely mean no professional footy for Keighley in 2019 - is this what you’re advocating?

The best that can be hoped for is a combination of the council, supporters groups, sponsors and RFL to put pressure on for the owners to run the club responsibly or cede control, the latter of which would require someone else able and willing to come in and pick up the baton, and debt 

Keighley have been in special measures for many months. A significant number of other clubs were also in SM last season at one time or another, but this does not mean that their licences were revoked.

Things seemed to be looking up for Keighley early on last season but it seems they had overstretched themselves chasing promotion (in a league with Bradford and York!). 

Bearing in mind fixtures are supposed to be released this weekend something needs sorting out soon. I do fear that if Keighley drop out that could be the end of them so I hope some solution is reached. 

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

And probably kill off half of the existing clubs at a stroke. You are thrashing about to prove your point that this is down to the incomeptence of the RFL - it isn't.

The problem's at Keighley are are entirely of their own making but if you think the present leadership of the game is fit and competant to run a sport you've got some very low expectations. And as I said if clubs or owners can't raise the finance to meet a required bond should they really be in a so called professional game. If you can't afford the prices in a paticular restaurant you go eat elsewhere, that's life you don't eat there then do a runner when the bill comes along or a hotel may ask for a credit card when you book in, ever placed a deposit for something, or paid for petrol before the pump will dispence it. It's a common enough practice in everyday life so I'm not suggesting something outrageous to cull clubs merely suggesting a way for the game to bring in some proper governance and avoid some and I mean some not all of these regular embarrassing situations. If you can think of a way to ensure that all club's run within there own particular incomings then let's hear it then get fo the RFL and takeover but I would suggest that numerous other sports with far better paid positions would be interested to hear from you too.!

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

The problem's at Keighley are are entirely of their own making

Actually can we just quantify this  - 'The problem's at Keighley are are entirely of their own making' - who at Keighley is this the exactly fault of ? 

So  the average Cougar fan who buys a season ticket , dons  a replica shirt , drinks  a gallon of beer in the club bar on game day  . purchases n pours over the match programme , maybe occasionally if they can afford it goes posh hospitality or some minor sponsorship ..are they more culpable for their clubs position  than say any Rhino Saint or Wolves fan ...why are they the problem ?  - just asking like .for a friend ...:-)

Edited by Rach
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Clogiron said:

The problem's at Keighley are are entirely of their own making but if you think the present leadership of the game is fit and competant to run a sport you've got some very low expectations. And as I said if clubs or owners can't raise the finance to meet a required bond should they really be in a so called professional game. If you can't afford the prices in a paticular restaurant you go eat elsewhere, that's life you don't eat there then do a runner when the bill comes along or a hotel may ask for a credit card when you book in, ever placed a deposit for something, or paid for petrol before the pump will dispence it. It's a common enough practice in everyday life so I'm not suggesting something outrageous to cull clubs merely suggesting a way for the game to bring in some proper governance and avoid some and I mean some not all of these regular embarrassing situations. If you can think of a way to ensure that all club's run within there own particular incomings then let's hear it then get fo the RFL and takeover but I would suggest that numerous other sports with far better paid positions would be interested to hear from you too.!

Oh right. Its nothing to do with the unfair distribution of the wealth in the game then? Don't give me all that Super Greed clubs bring in the TV money so they should keep it all ###### either. Without the amateur clubs and championship clubs Super Greed would be dead in 10 years. Of course the top clubs should get more money but it is entirely disproportionate as it stands. The wage of some super league players would keep a championship club going for a full season.

You lose the argment straight away by your use of the perjorative and quite frankly daft term Super Greed.  

• Like 5

Four legs good - two legs bad

9 hours ago, Rach said:

Actually can we just quantify this  - 'The problem's at Keighley are are entirely of their own making' - who at Keighley is this the exactly fault of ? 

So  the average Cougar fan who buys a season ticket , dons  a replica shirt , drinks  a gallon of beer in the club bar on game day  . purchases n pours over the match programme , maybe occasionally if they can afford it goes posh hospitality or some minor sponsorship ..are they more culpable for their clubs position  than say any Rhino Saint or Wolves fan ...why are they the problem ?  - just asking like .for a friend ...:-)

First I'm accused of trying to place all the blame on the RFL, then I'm blaming the fan's then someone else says it's all the fault of SL seesh, have I turned into Olive Oil aka Theresa May overnight? Nope, I've just checked I'm still my loveable self! When I say it's all Keighleys fault I ment the club for paying out more than they had coming in, as usual the fan's are the last to be considered when they are the real heart of the club. The RFL also has to shoulder blame for their management of the game by allowing these type of situations to continually occur and failing to bring in criteria to discourage the chancers who habitually blight the game. If the RFL is indeed beholden to the voting of club's for it's rule's and conduct then that's one of it's biggest problems, it should be a independent body that properly oversees the game. Will that ever happen? No, so let's all keep on blaming each other, at least it passes the time.