Fitness Thread

The 1000km challenge now stands at 94km for the year so far.

A sluggish 6 and a bit along the Bexhill seafront added this morning.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The 1000km challenge now stands at 94km for the year so far.

A sluggish 6 and a bit along the Bexhill seafront added this morning.

Better than me - 60K so far.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

If that's all the runnners and riders...

Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed Wiltshire Rhino Gingerjon JohnM Moose Bob8 tim2
Week 1 93.5 116 156.5 134.3 84.9 97 66 78.9 76

Venus 85.085 105.56 142.415 122.213 77.259 88.27 60.06 71.799 69.16

Oi! I started this week at 135.6kg. That extra weight will make my loss seem more. ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

OK

Updated to make Wiltshire's efforts appear even better

Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed Wiltshire Rhino Gingerjon JohnM Moose Bob8 tim2
Week 1 93.5 116 156.5 135.6 84.9 97 66 78.9 76

Venus 85.085 105.56 142.415 342.66 77.259 88.27 60.06 71.799 69.16

However as a petty punishment for questioning the spreadsheet I have relocated his secondary figure to Jupiter. 

Imagine the loss when he moves back to Venus next week. 

Edited by Shadow
  • Haha 2

Well weighed myself this morning after 5 days and have lost 4lb. That isn't even any strict dieting as such, just sticking to my 3 main meals and cutting out chocolate, biscuits etc as well as bread. Disclaimer I did have 4 slices yesterday and a Snickers but that is still better than a normal 'old' day! Plus training in Bob's gym too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Just done my weights too at lunch time. Working from home is great for fitness!

Not for me, I'm too tempted to raid the fridge.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

50 min gentle cycle to town with the sea on my left, around the bay, past the snazzy gardens and then by Marina Bay Sands into the gym. Took about 50 mins

10 sets. 3 clean and presses wi 40k then 800m on the rower. Did all 10 sets in 38:45.

Cycle home. 

Knackered in a good way. Time for pool. 

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

6 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Great thread this, for anyone that's interested here's some great workouts for the rowing machine. Be warned some of them are brutal

https://www.concept2.com/files/pdf/us/training/Training_24Workouts.pdf

Too complicated for a normal person. I would just concentrate on intervals at a desired pace. Youll learn your stroke pattern as you go. 

If you do want to row more than usual, Petes plan through google decent apparently. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

5 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Too complicated for a normal person. I would just concentrate on intervals at a desired pace. Youll learn your stroke pattern as you go. 

If you do want to row more than usual, Petes plan through google decent apparently. 

We have a Concept2 in the office.  It's sitting there, mocking me right now.  

• Haha 3

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

33 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

We have a Concept2 in the office.  It's sitting there, mocking me right now.  

Check out Petes plan.

None weight bearing and it will never lie to you. Get to know your rower and you may fall in love. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Check out Petes plan.

None weight bearing and it will never lie to you. Get to know your rower and you may fall in love. 

I hope you wipe yours down after use! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Parkrun done in an official time of 25:55. I'd have been insanely happy with that a year ago but it's a fair bit slower than recently and I've got a massive pain now in what can only be described as 'vaguely the groin area'.

A few days off for me now. The annual tally is at 99k.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Parkrun done in an official time of 25:55. I'd have been insanely happy with that a year ago but it's a fair bit slower than recently and I've got a massive pain now in what can only be described as 'vaguely the groin area'.

A few days off for me now.

No point taking chances with things that might be an injury - rest until it doesn't hurt.

My wife did parkrun in a bit under 34 minutes today. She hadn't run more than 3k in quite a few months, so was pretty pleased with that time.

• Like 1

I did my fastest parkrun since April 2017 - 26.12, 16 seconds quicker than last week.

Still 3 and a half minutes slower than my PB.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

No time today to do my walk as I'm taking my son back to Uni. However he's left me his spare skipping rope (he does boxing training) so I'll use that later. 

I'll let you know if I die or not ?

Don't do it!!!!!  I tried some skipping last week after a 20 year hiatus and its brutal on the knees....don't do it!....stick to the squats and the deadlifts if you know what is good for ya.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Don't do it!!!!!  I tried some skipping last week after a 20 year hiatus and its brutal on the knees....don't do it!....stick to the squats and the deadlifts if you know what is good for ya.

Its amazing how much easier it is to get injured doing cardio stuff than weights in general!  Ive had bad knees from skipping, shins from running, but in 20 years or so of weights very few issues.  Yet I know not alot of people enjoy weights, only some of us. Many more like running and cycling over weights.  I love weights , even these days when Im not looking to carry as much size as I did in my early 30s, I still see weights and compound exercises as best ways to stay strong, leanish, and injury free.     IMO weights are best way to be in shape and combat ageing. Cardio is a bonus on top. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

Its amazing how much easier it is to get injured doing cardio stuff than weights in general!  Ive had bad knees from skipping, shins from running, but in 20 years or so of weights very few issues.  Yet I know not alot of people enjoy weights, only some of us. Many more like running and cycling over weights.  I love weights , even these days when Im not looking to carry as much size as I did in my early 30s, I still see weights and compound exercises as best ways to stay strong, leanish, and injury free.     IMO weights are best way to be in shape and combat ageing. Cardio is a bonus on top. 

I tend to agree with you, weight training builds bone density and helps offset muscle loss due to aging, it even helps with controlling body fat as at a resting heart rate muscle burns more calories than fat, though as it is denser than fat you can get a touch heavier. There again I've always enjoyed doing weight training as part of my fitness regime.

I think though that the real secret to staying fit and healthy is to find what you really like doing whether that be ultra marathons or walking the dog as, if it is not a chore then you are more likely to do it often and not put it off

• Like 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

2 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

I agree...one needs to take it easier on the joints as one ages...especially larger people.  I don't jog/run anymore but I still walk alot.  Of course rowing is good on the machine in the winter and kayaking the rest of the year.  Its the pounding that seems to take its toll.  Three sets of 12-15 is better for the weights as one gets older rather than 4 sets of 6 at a higher weight etc.  Yoga and stretching to compliment each workout....flexibility seems to disappear quickly unless maintained.

• Like 1