Whitehaven

Barroooww

I thought we had a much stronger squad this afternoon. Still a few sloppy errors but considering it was the first run out for many of them, that's to be expected. 

I think Stargroth Amean will be a first team regular throughout the season. We saw less of the other two PNG boys but there's promise there.

Whitehaven brought very few fans down so the 1261 attendance for a friendly is once again very promising. 

A big push on the hype for next Saturday and hopefully one or two of the new fans that turn up will stick around.

I thought it was two very tight defences which gave little chance for open rugby. The only time we opened the Haven defence was when Tee Ritson scored a good try coming through at full speed. I agree the 3 PNG lads had a good game and they must have felt the cold

Does anybody know the gate. I would guess at 1000+

7 minutes ago, NWDuk said:

I think Stargroth Amean will be a first team regular throughout the season. We saw less of the other two PNG boys but there's promise there.

Someone told me today he has asked to leave, the reason given is he is homesick. I hope it's wrong, he is definitely the pick of the three

Better.... 

PNG guys went OK.... but a prop forward wearing leggings should be a serious team fine or forfeit. ?

One of the PNG fellas got MoM which I thought bizzare, but suppose good morale builder for the lad. 

Walne looks by far the most shrewd and excellent bit of business Steve Neale and Cresta have done in a while.... could be best value for money forward in the division 

Massively in the mould of Dave Armistead, Ostler and the likes... gets the ball and runs hard, and then tackles hard and gets through plenty of work.

Walne and Tom Walker were very good today.

Few basic errors still. The one for the haven try, not catching a kick off was a bit grim.

Duffys late tackle with 2 minutes to go was very very poor. Was definately a yellow, and had the whitehaven forwards not been so knackered, would have well been within their rights to take the law into their own hands.. poor. 

Jake Carter slotted in better today when Dallimore had to temporarily had to go off. 

Good attendance again and nice to see the forwards dominate a pack. Haven looked a bit out of sorts.

Hope their 6 who looked in some pain after 2 mins is ok. 

Hope Wigan bring a good squad and plenty turn up. 

Thought Puara looked busy around the play the ball, Barrow looked much better when he was on the pitch. Walker was very good and looks like he could play big minutes. Walne is one of those players who does all the little things right, great signing. Going off injured won't have done much to lift Ameans confidence, here's hoping he can settle.

As for Wigan bringing a strong team, don't hold your breath, read yesterday that anyone to be involved in the first Super League game against Saints won't be playing at Barrow.

Thought the lads played much better today against Whitehaven who never gave up.

Still work to do & need to be much quicker but still early doors.

I thought Walne, Walker & Jono were Barrow s best players & the PNG lads blew the cobwebs off.

Hope the winger Armean is ok bruised ribs.

I honestly thought there were more than 1200 today but it's still a great effort.

As for next week i can only see Wigan like Huddersfield today at Workington won't be playing any star players only academy with a couple of fringe players but it should be another good turn out for the fans.

Hope the club can put the Stargroth rumours to bed like the posters above he's only been here 1 week.

1 hour ago, NWDuk said:

Somebody needs to have words with the announcer.

To misprounounce the new players names last week was embarrasing. The fuss he made of reading the teamsheet this afternoon was staggeringly amatuer.

To stop the embarrassment why not  make yourself available and announce the teamsheet .

3 hours ago, SJD said:

Someone told me today he has asked to leave, the reason given is he is homesick. I hope it's wrong, he is definitely the pick of the three

Hopefully Steve or someone else off the board will be able to clear this rumour up quickly?

25 minutes ago, Barroooww said:

Hopefully Steve or someone else off the board will be able to clear this rumour up quickly?

I mentioned it on Facebook earlier on and the club replied saying it wasn't true. However my comment and the club's reply have since been removed. 

2 hours ago, NWDuk said:

Somebody needs to have words with the announcer.

To misprounounce the new players names last week was embarrasing. The fuss he made of reading the teamsheet this afternoon was staggeringly amatuer.

The teamsheet was shocking, some of the Haven names were spelt appallingly. And to make it worse the Facebook commentary team, were trying use the wrong names. 

HW

1 hour ago, morty said:

thought Lewis Charnock had a great game today

Just played a normal game ? In my opinion.

Yet to be convinced since he came to Barrow. Does well with  a dominant pack going forward. 

Cant help being hampered by a biggish injury too last year.

Really hope he goes well and kicks a few goals. 

There was a big cheer in the Raiders bar when Ryan Duffy was awarded the " Champagne moment" for that great kick on the last. Murph announced he was starting at Stand Off next week?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

A good win yesterday, big improvement on last week thought our defence was pretty solid, and we probably did more of it than we would have liked. Great to get 1200+ in for a friendly especially when you think that number should rise abit once the season starts. Dont know of anyones seen the amount of support the png lads have been receiving from home on Facebook but i think it's pretty outstanding, they really do get behind their lads! 

Tom Heighton

Last years average attendance for championship games was 1239. We beat that yesterday. Whitehaven didn't bring many so that's a big achievement for us...

Leigh -1991

Halifax - 1293

Toronto - 1266

Yesterdays Preseason friendly - 1261

Featherstone - 1231

Rochdale - 1212

Batley - 1211

Sheffield - 1210

Swinton - 1133

Dewsbury - 1061

London - 1044

Toulouse - 981

I thought the Paura was deserving of the M.O.M. He was busy round the ruck but most importantly you could see he was telling players where he wanted them to be. Hard to judge on a first showing but it looked to me that he a rugby brain. Charnock once again played well above his weight in defence and proved a good link player. I thought Carter had an excellent game and he should be vying for a regular place in the squad if continues to play to that standard.

I am truly amazed about one thing however - there are no moans about referee Hewer on this page and he didn't get the usual stick from the terraces!!!!!!  About bl**dy time we stopped blaming him for all our woes?

1 hour ago, NWDuk said:

Last years average attendance for championship games was 1239. We beat that yesterday. Whitehaven didn't bring many so that's a big achievement for us...

Leigh -1991

Halifax - 1293

Toronto - 1266

Yesterdays Preseason friendly - 1261

Featherstone - 1231

Rochdale - 1212

Batley - 1211

Sheffield - 1210

Swinton - 1133

Dewsbury - 1061

London - 1044

Toulouse - 981

Is the Toronto figure right, never been but I heard that they had big attendances?

1 hour ago, NWDuk said:

I believe so. From recollection, the figure would seem to be about right. No travelling support and we've played them plenty of times. It was also a very miserable afternoon.

You'd think Toronto would have a lot of followers, aren't they based somewhere in Lancashire or Yorkshire? 

David Taylor

@750VFR

Archived