Batley v Rochdale 24:2:.2019

Batley Bob

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that's how I read it BP, could be very good or....

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

.....and time to get in some more big DR's Roger!! However, sitting here watching this, it's appalling. No motivation, no attitude or aptitude, forwards have no go forward, there can't be any dressing room support for the coach's tactics, time to change, 4 games of HIS team, and it's very poor. Being gentlemanly won't get us anywhere Chairman.

Disagree Phil the effort was there and you can't realistically bag our forwards. We seemed to be in the driving seat uphill at 12 up with lots of attack.

Good to see croppers return and retties energy. Think brambani has slowed down or choosing more carries over shipping ball out.

Our defence and discipline won us today not necessarily attack

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Had to grind that out with better discipline against a decent Rochdale side (excluding their 7 & 10). Their two forwards 30 and 26 or 28? were outstanding as was the winger in the scrum cap. Well done for getting over the line not the best game but we're off and running and no easy games this season!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

I came away from the game thinking it was a very, very poor game to watch......... Maybe, in retrospect, that's a bit unfair because Rochdale dug in to make a real fist of things -- I thought they were dead & buried at 12-0 down with you guys going uphill and, ultimately, you ground out a win against a very determined team......... IF they had more attacking potency, I think you might have been in trouble though. Still, a win's a win but I can absolutely understand the frustrations of a lot of the Batley fans.

Our attacking structure isn’t working our skill wasn’t the best... our defence won us the game we can’t afford to give silly needless penalties away neither along with errors after we score a try 

if we’d of played a decent side today we’d of lost... Rochdale showed glimpses of not been far i’d take A look at Adam Lawton (no30) he ran hard today and created some chances for his side 

Yet still won. Am I convinced we are going to bother the top 4. No

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

Our attacking structure isn’t working our skill wasn’t the best... our defence won us the game we can’t afford to give silly needless penalties away neither along with errors after we score a try 

if we’d of played a decent side today we’d of lost... Rochdale showed glimpses of not been far i’d take A look at Adam Lawton (no30) he ran hard today and created some chances for his side 

I think some of the criticism is a little harsh. It was not a great game, but I think a lot of credit has to go to Rochdale. They didn't make a lot of mistakes, they played to the ref regarding offside and closed us down quickly. They had a bit of talent in the side too. Lawton's on Warrington's books (number 30) as is Akauola (No.28) who played for Penrith Panthers and West Tigers and Pat Moran (No. 26). They are 3 players who would get in to most teams in this division and I was always a bit of a Lee Mitchell fan when he was with us. 

I think anyone who expected a run away thrashing was maybe asking too much.

I do worry about our lack of pace though and as well as Yates played, he is a scrum half, not a standoff, he doesn't back up, we broke a couple of times and there was no support for the man with the ball. Our kicking game was pretty abysmal too, not just his I might add, Brambani didn't have his kicking boots with him today either.

But happy to get the 2 points.

I'd have to agree with Eric here.

very very ordinary when attacking,but we've been like that since last year.

i fear an absolute panning on Friday against Sheffield.

To say this is the 3rd season of Diskin's 'system', it really isn't working is it?

on radio Leeds he mentions 'addressing' the problems at training....again.....the excuses are getting a bit repetitive now.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

2 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I think some of the criticism is a little harsh. It was not a great game, but I think a lot of credit has to go to Rochdale. They didn't make a lot of mistakes, they played to the ref regarding offside and closed us down quickly. They had a bit of talent in the side too. Lawton's on Warrington's books (number 30) as is Akauola (No.28) who played for Penrith Panthers and West Tigers and Pat Moran (No. 26). They are 3 players who would get in to most team in this division and I was always a bit of a Lee Mitchell fan when he was with us. 

I do worry about our lack of pace though and as well as Yates played, he is a scrum half, not a standoff, he doesn't back up, we broke a couple of times and there was no support for the man with the ball. Our kicking game was pretty abysmal too, not just his I might add, Brambani didn't have his kicking boots with him today either.

So we have 3 halfbacks who have poor kicking games.......superb.

we should be killing teams with our kicking game on our own ground!

but id also agree that this Rochdale team are no dummies.They looked well organised and came to play. 

maybe we all did expect a bit too much.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

15 minutes ago, il cattivo said:

So we have 3 halfbacks who have poor kicking games.......superb.

we should be killing teams with our kicking game on our own ground!

but id also agree that this Rochdale team are no dummies.They looked well organised and came to play. 

maybe we all did expect a bit too much.

The result by the other so called league whipping boys, Swinton, was a real telling sign for the season ahead IMO,. They lost by 2 points today against Toulouse. That tells me there will be no easy games.... unless of course there is a sudden fire sale at Widnes following administration and they are struggling to field a side. York, Halifax, Sheffield and Bradford all look decent sides, but don't particularly frighten me enough to make me think they are unbeatable. Although going to Sheffield on Friday night after a tough game today, when they have had a week off makes the task very difficult, I'm not overly optimistic of us getting a result. 

Have to say I came away feeling extremely disappointed with that performance. First twenty we were decent last twenty of first half ordinary. Second half what can I say? we were poor, our attacking plays were slow and easily spotted by eager defenders. Why did we persist in playing down the middle channel when our forwards were so easily marshalled. Our halves were poor, the kicking game ordinary, and our lack of attacking ideas stood out. If this is Diskins idea of a brave new way of playing I for one have my doubts. On the other side of the coin I have to give credit to Rochdale's attitude which was 1st class and if they had a bit more in pace and attack we would have been looking at a second defeat at home.

Friday at Sheffield will tell me what we have but on that performance I do fear the worst. Hope I am wrong and we produce another Halifax performance but with a win this time.

Today the quality on paper that is in our squad just about got us over the line with our first 2 points of the campaign, but that says it all. Overall we looked flat and lethargic, without any talking or apparent leadership on the pitch. Our forwards won the day, but certainly a rethink is needed in the backs, and maybe rest Dom on Friday and try Yates at scrum half in his true position, combined with Jouffret who sat it out today. Possibly time to freshen up the coaching team and add somebody who can ignite the attacking skills in the backs to support Diskin. Rochdale deserve  praise today for their commitment to the cause, and willingness to attack our line.

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

I think some of the criticism is a little harsh. It was not a great game, but I think a lot of credit has to go to Rochdale. They didn't make a lot of mistakes, they played to the ref regarding offside and closed us down quickly. They had a bit of talent in the side too. Lawton's on Warrington's books (number 30) as is Akauola (No.28) who played for Penrith Panthers and West Tigers and Pat Moran (No. 26). They are 3 players who would get in to most teams in this division and I was always a bit of a Lee Mitchell fan when he was with us. 

But happy to get the 2 points.

Adam Lawton is on Salford’s books hasn’t played rugby league in three years i’ve Known the kid since he was at Widnes and went to Aussie for a stint he ran harder than certain forwards today... 

criticism it maybe too you but to me and folk stood near me today it’s the facts... it showed against barrow every time we scored we didn’t complete the next set of six.. it’s a killer same with not finding touch from a penalty again happened today also simple things such as running on the ball at the right time so we don’t concede possession...   

Decent first half won it for us. The second half was a real arm wrestle, but thought we deserved the win. Disagreed with Diskin's RL comments, he criticised our defence, whereas I thought it was generally ok. We just struggled to get going in attack, it was noticeable that we scored our try downhill through Brambani putting in a short kick through. Something different worked.

Let's not forget that Rochdale had a decent team out. Howarth, Forster and the 3/4 DR boys were all quality, and Flynn and Ainscough were both excellent. They put in a real effort and won't be anyone's mugs this year.

Great to see Lillycrop back, and think Everett is really coming on.

As has been said, a very flat, uninspiring second half. Performances like that will see attendances getting even smaller. 

Maybe something to try is putting Yates and Joufret in the halves and move Dom either to 13 or share 9 with Leak. Would that give us better attacking options?

2 hours ago, il cattivo said:

I'd have to agree with Eric here.

very very ordinary when attacking,but we've been like that since last year.

i fear an absolute panning on Friday against Sheffield.

To say this is the 3rd season of Diskin's 'system', it really isn't working is it?

on radio Leeds he mentions 'addressing' the problems at training....again.....the excuses are getting a bit repetitive now.

Tbh he’s sounding more like Glenn Morrison everyday,maybe a Bradford Bulls thing??

18 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Adam Lawton is on Salford’s books hasn’t played rugby league in three years i’ve Known the kid since he was at Widnes and went to Aussie for a stint he ran harder than certain forwards today... 

criticism it maybe too you but to me and folk stood near me today it’s the facts... it showed against barrow every time we scored we didn’t complete the next set of six.. it’s a killer same with not finding touch from a penalty again happened today also simple things such as running on the ball at the right time so we don’t concede possession...   

Apologies, I stand corrected on Adam Lawton, and the comment about criticism wasn't supposed to be aimed at you personally. It was more the general comments ;).

You make some very good points KTF, I certainly cannot argue with them. It wasn't a great performance, but at least we won, against a very different Rochdale to last season. I just think they deserve a bit of credit, they are not a bad side on that performance. Admittedly, they got thumped by Toronto, but then again, they made Widnes look like a very ordinary outfit after they had battered Halifax.

The most frustrating thing for a lot of supporters and me included is that we know we can play some exciting rugby. So why o why do we insist going down the middle all the time with the boring one man rugby. An awful tactic today was when we were uphill on the 4 th tackle (I think ) 20 yards out and we kicked it into touch for a scrum. Should have been pumped up in the air. At times there wasn't a player within 20 yards of the touch line at ptb. We just seem to gather into a group in the middle of the park. Also when we make a half break we stand about watching to see how far he gets without nobody on his shoulder backing up. Another gripe is how many times was a ball passed to a standing man. Credit to Rochdale I think they played better than us and broke our line with ease on numerous occasions.  Can't see us coming away from Sheffield with any points. 

Archived