Barcelona record crowd?

Agree with the posters above, the entire drawing power for this match is based on the fact it is at the Nou Camp and in Catalonia. If the marketing is done correctly around Catalans being representative of Catalonia then the drawing power is massive, even for those who would otherwise have no interest in Rugby League.

The only point I would make is that if they are targeting those who traditional do not usually follow the Catalans, then perhaps the game against London would've been easier to sell and a more likely game to win in front of the big crowd. Could Catalans have worked with Super League to make that happen if they wanted to? I can see why playing the reigning champions who can be relied to bring a big following would be considered a good pick too though.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness, if they take the game on tour to other stadia in Catalonia, the RCDE isn't a bad shout, but I think the fact that this is at the Nou Camp will generate more excitement and attract more, even if it seems empty because of the size.

I know I'm a Wigan fan so a bit biased but I'm incredibly excited about going to this game. It being in a fantastic city is a huge draw but the fact that it's at Europe's biggest stadium is one hell of a draw too. Despite some of the more pie-in-the-sky thinking that is sometime seen on this board, I never really thought I'd get to see Wigan play at the Nou Camp. I don't think I'd have been able to persuade the girlfriend to go on a weekend getaway to the DW.

And even if there's only 25K in the bottom of it, so what? I'd love it to get 40 but it's hardly going to spoil anything for anyone. 

1 hour ago, wackojacko said:

I know I'm a Wigan fan so a bit biased but I'm incredibly excited about going to this game. It being in a fantastic city is a huge draw but the fact that it's at Europe's biggest stadium is one hell of a draw too. Despite some of the more pie-in-the-sky thinking that is sometime seen on this board, I never really thought I'd get to see Wigan play at the Nou Camp. I don't think I'd have been able to persuade the girlfriend to go on a weekend getaway to the DW.

And even if there's only 25K in the bottom of it, so what? I'd love it to get 40 but it's hardly going to spoil anything for anyone. 

It really is potentially a once in a lifetime event. I really never thought I'd see RL played at the Nou Camp and in particular my team. Special times. I say potentially as I hope it's a raging success and becomes an annual event.

11 hours ago, fevtom said:

Agree with the posters above, the entire drawing power for this match is based on the fact it is at the Nou Camp and in Catalonia. If the marketing is done correctly around Catalans being representative of Catalonia then the drawing power is massive, even for those who would otherwise have no interest in Rugby League.

The only point I would make is that if they are targeting those who traditional do not usually follow the Catalans, then perhaps the game against London would've been easier to sell and a more likely game to win in front of the big crowd. Could Catalans have worked with Super League to make that happen if they wanted to? I can see why playing the reigning champions who can be relied to bring a big following would be considered a good pick too though.

London have 4 more points than Wigan?!?!

Also Catalans first SL game was against Wigan... and they won! 

Wigan are the current champs and will follow in numbers as you state but are also one of the weakest sides in the comp

7 hours ago, yipyee said:

London have 4 more points than Wigan?!?!

Also Catalans first SL game was against Wigan... and they won! 

Wigan are the current champs and will follow in numbers as you state but are also one of the weakest sides in the comp

Catalans wanted to play Wigan at the Nou Camp just as they wanted to play Wigan in their first ever game. This is because they are a big Rugby League name and the most famous name in France. They also travel in good numbers and are the current Super League champions. I suggest they know their market better than most on here.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Catalans wanted to play Wigan at the Nou Camp just as they wanted to play Wigan in their first ever game. This is because they are a big Rugby League name and the most famous name in France. They also travel in good numbers and are the current Super League champions. I suggest they know their market better than most on here.

You miss my point I was saying that Wigan should play and not London. The post I was replying to said they should play London as they have a better chance of winning, my post is indicating that on form London are better than Wigan and I also pointed out Catalan beat Wigan in their first SL game. 

My comments were in reply and this has bot been taken into context.

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

You miss my point I was saying that Wigan should play and not London. The post I was replying to said they should play London as they have a better chance of winning, my post is indicating that on form London are better than Wigan and I also pointed out Catalan beat Wigan in their first SL game. 

My comments were in reply and this has bot been taken into context.

Wigan are a stronger team than London, as you well know. 

17 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Wigan are a stronger team than London, as you well know. 

League table says otherwise.

Wigan have lost their best players year on year and now have abandoned their trademark thuggery.

Wigan won't improve under Lam and they need someone who understands the culture or who is strong enough to rebuild the club like Noble did

15 minutes ago, yipyee said:

League table says otherwise.

Wigan have lost their best players year on year and now have abandoned their trademark thuggery.

Wigan won't improve under Lam and they need someone who understands the culture or who is strong enough to rebuild the club like Noble did

A little dramatic after 6 games and a raft of injuries don't you think?

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

You are saying based on London's current position in SL, they should have been going to the Nou camp..

Give your head a wobble..

That isn't me saying that read the thread and wobble your own head in stupidity of not reading the whole thing and jumping to conclusions!!

• 2 weeks later...

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

On 3/29/2019 at 1:23 PM, bazzzz65 said:

Tickets are on sale soon according to the Catalans website.Top price 30 euros.

Yes, from Tuesday 2nd April.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

On 3/30/2019 at 1:00 PM, audois said:

Yes, from Tuesday 2nd April.

So tickets finally become available 123 days after the fixture is confirmed with a time frame of selling tickets in 48 days. I thought this game had potential to break 30k and now I think 20k is more likely now. Its Absolutely bonkers that after the fanfare of the announcement its taken so long to make the tickets available. 

2 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

So tickets finally become available 123 days after the fixture is confirmed with a time frame of selling tickets in 48 days. I thought this game had potential to break 30k and now I think 20k is more likely now. Its Absolutely bonkers that after the fanfare of the announcement its taken so long to make the tickets available. 

I really can't see why it would have stopped a single person from attending. Everyone knew when and where this match was taking place, it's not like the event was up in the air.

43 minutes ago, Damien said:

I really can't see why it would have stopped a single person from attending. Everyone knew when and where this match was taking place, it's not like the event was up in the air.

It wouldn't stop anybody attending, but they haven't been out selling these tickets to non-fans so there may be some impact there. But I'm not sure how many new fans would buy tickets 4 months in advance.

Archived