Match Thread: CHALLENGE CUP Featherstone Rovers v Swinton Saturday 30th March 2019

marklaspalmas

Bad performance and result on Sunday so time to bounce back.

This Cup tie be interesting as, we assume, we will not have our loan & DR players available because they will be cup tied for their parent club.  So no Briscoe, Golding, Reynolds, Dan Smith, Newman etc. Lads who have been integral parts of the team this year.

Of the 28 players we have used 6 are DR and 3 more loans.

That leaves 19 players, but Ase has already left and currently Carey, Teteh and Walts are injured and Bussey is suspended. That leaves just 14 players assuming there are no injury recoveries. So we will probably see some reserves players making their debuts.

The forwards look ok, but the backline is going to look quite inexperienced.

Possible line up:

Hartley

Render (injured?)

Hardcastle

Harrison

McDaniel/Taylor

Punchard/Richardson

Boas

Wheeldon

King

Ormondroyd

Day

Davies

Lockwood

Cooper

Maskill

Makatoa

Reserve Forward

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How important is a good cup run? Should Carr go all out for the win or experiment by looking at one or two of the leading candidates from the reserves in a different way with the Toulouse trip in mind? One in particular I'm referring to is Kiedan Hartley, who would be the obvious shoe-in at full-back, but would it be better to try him on the wing with Toulouse in mind?

It would also have been a perfect opportunity to try Watson in another position, especially if Holmes is nearly ready, but if they want to win he'll have to play at half-back if Reynolds is unavailable. I know Boas can play hooker, but can he also play full back?

The club continues to play its cards close to its chest regarding injury updates, etc, but a Saturday return would be nice for some. Tom Holmes arrived 4 weeks tomorrow and the Huddersfield coach said he was 3/4 weeks away from full fitness. I wonder if he's on schedule or had a setback? 

57 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

The club continues to play its cards close to its chest regarding injury updates, etc, but a Saturday return would be nice for some. Tom Holmes arrived 4 weeks tomorrow and the Huddersfield coach said he was 3/4 weeks away from full fitness. I wonder if he's on schedule or had a setback? 

Doubt they'd let him play in a cup match Steve.

38 minutes ago, hrtbps said:

I'll go because it's cheap for me and kids get in free. It's always nice to get through to a home fixture against SL opposition, but I don't think we'd benefit much from getting a hiding. 

????? SL opposition????

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Only benefit this fixture gives us is a chance to blood some young 'uns.

I really don't care if we throw/lose this game.  Better to concentrate on the league and the other cup competition that we've a chance of winning.

I'm on a work trip, so won't be there.

B****Y typical. I expect more than "throwing the game or loosing" in return for my hard earned cash. Next suggestion , why not sit in the changing rooms and toss a coin. An attitude that explains falling attendances.

Although i wont be able to take advantage of the cheaper ticket offer,i will be there on Saturday.I think its important we support the players who don't go onto the pitch to play poorly.Remember our budget is about 40% less than last season so for once we will have to accept a more level playing field in the Championship.I don't care much about the result it's the players performances after last week i will be watching.

This game has come at the right time for Carr to tinker about with positions that he believes will be positive and to say to any debutants .”After the poor performance of last week it’s in your hands to put in a great performance against Swinton and I promise those that do will feature on the bench in the coming fixtures “.

8 hours ago, Phil Loxton said:

Doubt they'd let him play in a cup match Steve.

Maybe not Phil, but with relegation for the bottom club and with the position Fartown are in, the last thing they need is the distraction of a cup run. In some ways you could say the same about Rhinos.

Fev Tom,

you obviously didn’t go to the recent Swinton league game - there is no way we will win the cup game by 14 points with the players we have available.

i will predict a very close game and will be happy with any kind of win.

UTR

1 hour ago, Glynfev said:

with the players we have available.

i will predict a very close game and will be happy with any kind of win.

UTR

but remember I doubt swinton will  have their wigan dr players  off top of my head think they had four possibly five at haywood road

Briscoe and Bussey caused us (Swinton) lots of problems - so you not having them is a bonus for us but we too will be without the three or so regular DR players from Wigan. For us we need to try and build confidence and a few wins - so it doesn't matter if its the cup or not and if its SL opposition at home then there is the gate money.

On 3/27/2019 at 2:41 AM, marklaspalmas said:

Possible line up:

Hartley

Render (injured?)

Hardcastle

Harrison

McDaniel/Taylor

Punchard/Richardson

Boas

Wheeldon

King

Ormondroyd

Day

Davies

Lockwood

Cooper

Maskill

Makatoa

Reserve Forward

would think we will bring the lads  back from kieghley and can't understand why we didn't release boas after cup game 

29 minutes ago, POR said:

would think we will bring the lads  back from kieghley and can't understand why we didn't release boas after cup game 

Same reason we released Hock at the back end of last season before ending up with no players to finish the season. #p!ssup #brewery

1 hour ago, POR said:

Beckett and Darley? Its backs we're short of.

I dont think keeping a homesick lad who has failed to adapt here an extra month just to beat Swinton is a good idea.

Squad: Thompson Teteh, Josh Hardcastle, Watson Boas, Scott Wheeldon, Cameron King, Brad Day, James Lockwood, John Davies, Luke Cooper, Danny Maskill, James Harrison, Jimmy Beckett, Kiedan Hartley, Morgan Punchard, Makahesi Makatoa, Jack Render, Jack Ormondroyd, Jorge Richardson, Jack Broadbent. 

Squad named:
https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/young-guns-set-for-cup-clash-KmKBy

Lots of changes with no Briscoe, Golding, Newman, Turner or either of the Smiths, as expected, though Jack Broadbent is in on DR.

Teteh's back in the squad, Jimmy Beckett has been recalled from Keighley, and some of the reserves such as Hartley, Punchard, and Richardson are included.

The pack looks reasonably stong, but it will be a very inexperienced back division.

Archived