1. 1. Who will you vote for?

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Lib Dems
    • UKIP
    • Brexit Party
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Change UK (formerly Independent Group)
    • Greens
    • Other
  2. 2. Is this a different party from who you’d vote for if Brexit didn’t exist?

• Yes, my vote is different because of Brexit
    • No, this is who I’d vote for if Brexit suddenly disappeared

Unless my postal vote arrives today or tomorrow I won't be able to vote at all.

I am pretty sure I will vote Green at this point. If I were voting in order then ChangeUK are probably 2nd on the list, then LibDem then Labour. I'm still wary of the LibDems until they get rid of everybody involved in the coalition government. Tories, Brexit and UKIP are not, and will never be, options. On the European question Labour are a mess - they are willing to alienate the majority of members and voters to appease the angry minority by giving them Brexit instead of a real alternative to the cause of their problems.

Anyway, let's hope the card arrives.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This election has been arranged on the hoof. Local councils with limited staff and budget in my area usually prepare for an election over 6 months. This one has come on the back of the local elections with just a few weeks to organise and stock with all the paperwork, staff and locations. There will have been little or no time to restock. Respect to the poor folk having to do all the donkey work.

3 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Unless my postal vote arrives today or tomorrow I won't be able to vote at all.

I am pretty sure I will vote Green at this point. If I were voting in order then ChangeUK are probably 2nd on the list, then LibDem then Labour. I'm still wary of the LibDems until they get rid of everybody involved in the coalition government. Tories, Brexit and UKIP are not, and will never be, options. On the European question Labour are a mess - they are willing to alienate the majority of members and voters to appease the angry minority by giving them Brexit instead of a real alternative to the cause of their problems.

Anyway, let's hope the card arrives.

Your postal vote, along with the rest of the EU's is being sent from Rethymno and being sorted by TonyXIII

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Excuse me, I got my avatar banned for less than this. Where's John?

He's banging his head against his desk in sheer frustration at having to attempt to moderate anything relating to Brexit.

I give up.

If anyone has a problem with this, report it to Vince $£*&ing Cable, not me!

Just now, John Drake said:

He's banging his head against his desk in sheer frustration at having to attempt to moderate anything relating to Brexit.

I give up.

You mean our next Prime Minister Sir John Vincent Cable?

Is Bill Hooks to Brexit acceptable? The Two Ronnies got away with that in the 1970s.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I give up.

I used the photo because I didn't want to upset the sweary filter. It is also the official manifesto of a mainstream party whose photo is prominently displayed on the Guardian website, and all over social media.

So, I won't be using the phrase in text but I'd assumed the photo was fine. I mean, obviously the sight of Vince might cause some queasiness ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, Graham said:

This election has been arranged on the hoof. Local councils with limited staff and budget in my area usually prepare for an election over 6 months. This one has come on the back of the local elections with just a few weeks to organise and stock with all the paperwork, staff and locations. There will have been little or no time to restock. Respect to the poor folk having to do all the donkey work.

Aw, how sad. PPPPPP.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I used the photo because I didn't want to upset the sweary filter. It is also the official manifesto of a mainstream party whose photo is prominently displayed on the Guardian website, and all over social media.

So, I won't be using the phrase in text but I'd assumed the photo was fine. I mean, obviously the sight of Vince might cause some queasiness ...

When a mainstream political party sticks a word on the cover of a manifesto, there's not much I can (or probably should) do to prevent people using the image of it on here.

If anyone's offended by it, they can complain to Mr Cable.

On this particular matter, I'm waving the white flag.

spacer.png

20 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

You mean our next Prime Minister Sir John Vincent Cable?

First Yorkshireman for 43 years!  Yay!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

9 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Or those thing the oars go into on rowing boats, oh yes, Row Locks

I used to work for a company who were owned by Plymouth Brethren.  No blaspheming, no swearing.  But apparently "fishhooks" was ok.  It has two syllables from the offensive word, and presumably in this context it meant the same, but it was ok. Mental gymnastics?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

23 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's also on a whopping great billboard just outside Waterloo station and seen by millions of people every day.

3500.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Council tells Pimlico Plumbers founder he must apply for planning consent for sign

It's an old article, but the sign is still there.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

31 minutes ago, Graham said:

3 weeks notice for an election isn't the biggest problem.

It means we are now in a pre-election funding period so any expenditure to promote the party over the past 6 months is now reportable, I can see the post election mess for this one being interesting, at least two parties didn't to any practical extent exist 6 months ago and at least one of them has previous form for "creative" election expenses. The same party leader now won't reveal where his funding is from.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

And people intend to vote for these gibbering imbeciles?

Anyway, I find the Lib Dem campaign slogan far less offensive than the idea that brexit won't cost quite as many lost lives as WW2. :kolobok_sad:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

Isn't it a pointless election campaign? Nobody knows what issues are coming up in the EU. EU members and/or parties can't introduce legislation. So what policies are people voting for? How are the candidates stating which way they will move on policy proposals about which they know nothing because nobody has told them which areas of policy are coming up? What is the voter supposedly using as a yardstick?

There's plenty out there. Most of the European parties - EPP, ALDE, S&D, Greens - have published manifestos. Go and have a look. You can't vote for the EPP in the UK though.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

Isn't it a pointless election campaign? Nobody knows what issues are coming up in the EU. EU members and/or parties can't introduce legislation. So what policies are people voting for? How are the candidates stating which way they will move on policy proposals about which they know nothing because nobody has told them which areas of policy are coming up? What is the voter supposedly using as a yardstick?

There's plenty out there. Most of the European parties - EPP, ALDE, S&D, Greens - have published manifestos. Go and have a look. You can't vote for the EPP in the UK though.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

24 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Genuine question

I know EU residents here did not get a vote in the Referendum - do they get a vote in EU elections, and does that change the demographics enough to shift the vote significantly in any of the MEP selection areas ?

Yes they can. Whether they do, and whether it makes any difference, I don't know.

42 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Yes they can. Whether they do, and whether it makes any difference, I don't know.

Whether they do is the big question. If they do you'd have to conclude that they would make a difference. Also those who have turned 18 since the referendum may shift things, again with the caveat that they actually vote. Lots to be gained for the remain side from both demographics.

12 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Whether they do is the big question. If they do you'd have to conclude that they would make a difference. Also those who have turned 18 since the referendum may shift things, again with the caveat that they actually vote. Lots to be gained for the remain side from both demographics.

Having the vote in the middle of Uni exams does not help student turn out - my son will be voting in the midlands as despite requesting a postal ballot for our area as soon as the EU election was announced it has not arrived (neither have most of his friends who requested the same of their home areas)

So, are all those people "outraged" at Corbyn's anti Semitism and pledging never to vote for him or his party going to be equally outraged at this fellow and his equal anti-Semitism?

Archived