Ottawa bid accepted by RFL for 2020 start – but New York entry delayed until 2021

12 minutes ago, Copa said:

I just read the comments under the article... looks like a few people think it’s a waste of taxpayers’ money. 

What sort of tax money would they receive?

There part of a group called Friends Of Landsdown which is Td Stadium etc form day one they wanted a central park that would have cost the city close to a billion Canadian to build.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

Sorry. I thought you meant a competitive game not a friendly.

It will be competitive. They’ll make it their own.

When I played American football in a rural town in the US we had one game each year against the team across the river.

They played in a different division so it was outside of the usual structure.

It was still one of the two biggest games each year. It had great radio, TV and print media coverage.

I still remember being a teenager walking along the street in my team training gear and people in cars honking their horns and waving to me days before the match.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

I sense 1000 word rant will soon be “posted”.

From who? he asks. ?

Interesting to hear from Eric Perez himself in this article from the Times Colonist.

• The suggestion of a Canadian Cup type competition between TWP & Ottawa, regardless of division. Must have been reading this thread
  • The expectation that RL will spread to other Canadian cities, mentioning that he has been contacted by groups in Montreal and Vancouver.

Edit: Copa has picked up some of this in an earlier post referencing the cbc.ca website.

21 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Whilst I've suggested something similar and I obviously wouldnt be against it. Even if it stays the same it makes absolutely no sense to force Toronto and Ottawa to play at whatever home is during the winter. 

It's unfair to force some clubs to travel but not others,

it makes it much more difficult to make these clubs sustainable. 

It makes it much more difficult to organise TV coverage and if we can we end up trying to sell content to sky whe  they are overloaded with it  

The solution is so obviously simple and easy its ludicrous that it is even an issue. 

All Toronto games 3pm on a Saturday Ontario time, all Ottawa games 1pm Sunday. Same time whether here or there, sell the slots to sky. Winter and autumn here summer there. Saturday 3pm and 5pm London time are the French slots with a similar summer/winter split and you have 4 games every week extra at minimal production costs that sky can buy as part of their package, games that will also not see any other moaning about away fans not bothering because it's on TV. 

The Ottawa RFL will be the third tenant of a busy stadium. Throw in summer concerts, which will take priority because they are big money-makers. That said, the CFL tends not to play on weekends during the summer, but it will still be somewhat of a problem working things out.

C'mon Eric we can't wait for another 19 months for this, get a move on! 

I would love Rugby League and Canada to strike why the iron is hot and keep adding teams if the support and finance is there. Talk of Montreal and Vancouver is very exciting. If you can cover the 4 big Canadian cities then you have the makings of a Canadian\North American conference that can fund itself through its own TV money and contribute to the overall pot.

Credit should be given to the RFL clubs who supported the Ottawa application and it's important to note that the vast majority did vote them in.

Those clubs that did not don"t necessarily represent the fans that I have met, almost all of whom seem supportive of expansion.

Rugby League has a massive opportunity here, driven to a significant extent by Perez.

I grew up as a kid with RL played in just FOUR countries at ANY level. RL is now played in cities and countries I never dreamed would take it up, lets keep it going.

21 minutes ago, westside said:

I could see a Vancouver club signing up lots of Aussies, Kiwis, Islanders.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here....

2 minutes ago, westside said:

For sure, just thinking about the location not any specifics. I’m sure they are looking a few years down the track.

Have to get Ottawa up and running properly first....this is very important since it would show/prove that Toronto is not a one off.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I would love Rugby League and Canada to strike why the iron is hot and keep adding teams if the support and finance is there. Talk of Montreal and Vancouver is very exciting. If you can cover the 4 big Canadian cities then you have the makings of a Canadian\North American conference that can fund itself through its own TV money and contribute to the overall pot.

You don't want to rush it

Ottawa 2020

Montreal 2025

Vancouver 2030

BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/48337978

Ottawa has arguably a less-crowded sporting landscape, and will have a similar curiosity level, while the influence of Perez - a founder of the Toronto club - will prove invaluable.

However, one factor that is expected to differ is that Ottawa are keen to grow as a club in a more organic fashion. That means more emphasis in developing players from the local area as opposed to the creation of a team from imports.

3 hours ago, Copa said:

I sense 1000 word rant will soon be “posted”.

My rants are never that long!

2 hours ago, Damien said:

This is exactly what Is needed. I feel that Parky has been alluding to that too, although I may have got that wrong.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Have to get Ottawa up and running properly first....this is very important since it would show/prove that Toronto is not a one off.

True. RL fans tend to get ahead of themselves. The enthusiasm is commendable but act too quickly without the proper foundation and it actually impedes progress.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived