RLEF ‘approves’ new European Championship format

Reports that the RLEF (ie the European federation) has approved a new format from 2020, 17 nations in three divisions with one-up, one-down P&R, tournament every two years, caps on heritage players.

Top division of England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Wales. Second division six teams, third division five teams TBC.

(Via the Chasing Kangaroos podcast.)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Reports that the RLEF (ie the European federation) has approved a new format from 2020, 17 nations in three divisions with one-up, one-down P&R, tournament every two years, caps on heritage players.

Top division of England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Wales. Second division six teams, third division five teams TBC.

(Via the Chasing Kangaroos podcast.)

I'm loving it already.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

England knights?

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

40 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

This sounds brilliant!

Theres just one thing I hope doesn’t happen, and that is the top league of 6 being split into 2 pools of 3 with each team only getting 2 games, which would be less than they currently get.

That's obviously the way they'll go then. They can't schedule 5 games in one year. That's absurd in rugby league!

I can also see this being England Knights.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

15 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

That's obviously the way they'll go then. They can't schedule 5 games in one year. That's absurd in rugby league!

I can also see this being England Knights.

Here’s an idea from left field...

An international break around May/June.

Magic weekend becomes international magic, 3 games on one day at the Etihad for example.

That then leaves 4 rounds (2 home, 2 away) left to play. 

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

Magic weekend becomes international magic, 3 games on one day at the Etihad for example.

Although I dont want the Magic Weekend replaced I think theres a lot to be said of having double or triple headers for internationals, with the emphasis on major teams playing each other and one game with the lesser nations playing.

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

This sounds brilliant!

Theres just one thing I hope doesn’t happen, and that is the top league of 6 being split into 2 pools of 3 with each team only getting 2 games, which would be less than they currently get.

Of course that's what will happen. It will mirror the Oceania Cup.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

I wouldn't bin Magic but I think 1 double header round, or 2/3 games played in the same city over a weekend could be a way forward.

Should be tactical about where we play games, England playing Wales either in Cardiff or Bristol for example. Scotland playing at Scotstoun in Glasgow. RDS in Dublin or Tallaght. Focus on making the games buzzing rather than going too big and having still respectable crowds rattling about in grounds that are far too big.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

I would love to see us try a proper 4 nations. England, Ireland, France, Wales, even with P+R in a similar format to what is suggested above but with 4 nations in the top tier instead. 

Instead of each side playing with home or away games, each side hosts one round of an international double header. So England v Ireland, France v Wales, Dublin April, England v Wales, Ireland v France Cardiff June, England v France Wales v Ireland August Toulouse

Top 2 Championship final, bottom 2 relegation play off, Newcastle/Manchester/Leeds/Liverpool/Sheffield etc October prior to 'international season' i.e SH involvement. 

It's an idea.

Could be based around England away games (because they'd bring the most fans) and have the final in England.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

43 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I wouldn't bin Magic but I think 1 double header round, or 2/3 games played in the same city over a weekend could be a way forward.

Should be tactical about where we play games, England playing Wales either in Cardiff or Bristol for example. Scotland playing at Scotstoun in Glasgow. RDS in Dublin or Tallaght. Focus on making the games buzzing rather than going too big and having still respectable crowds rattling about in grounds that are far too big.

Connacht are getting a 12k capacity stadium and it would be interesting to see games taken there. It would be nice to see internationals taken away from Dublin for once.

This competition along with the Oceania cup sounds promising for international league.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Of course that's what will happen. It will mirror the Oceania Cup.

If that is the case, hopefully not btw.

June - Round 1

October - Round 2

October - Triple Header*

1st vs 1st (Championship Game)

2nd vs 2nd (3/4 play Off)

3rd vs 3rd (Relegation Play Off)

-

It would be a disaster if Wales, Scotland, Ireland and France went from 3 Euro games down to 2.

33 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Wales vs Sioux could be a belter.

Takes me back to the Aberavon ''Braves'' days! 

Archived