Swinton player accuses Toronto owner of racial abuse

20 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

If your white you will never have to question your identity or feel not on top even in an african country.

Unless you're from the EU.

I really liked your post Tex, great stuff.

34 minutes ago, Allora said:

Then again England a Country that not so long ago produced

The Black and White Minstrel Show

Love thy Neighbour

The Benny Hill Show 

And Brexit the remake of the Benny Hill show with Boris johnson.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Allora said:

Maybe we and the Yanks are just dumb buggers and only the Northern English are switched on Worldly intellectuals. 

Do you know that thought had crossed my mind and I was going to comment. I then remembered about the people with pitch forks and how they would be offended, probably people from Northern England too.

37 minutes ago, Allora said:

What a load of BolloXks

You do not think that Australians see any British TV or Sport or Musicians where there are colored British people?

You do not think Aussies are aware of the British empire and how many Indians, Pakistanis, West Indians and others emigrated to Britain?

Maybe we and the Yanks are just dumb buggers and only the Northern English are switched on Worldly intellectuals. 

Let me guess you worked as a "Photographer"  on the Cruise Ship.

Just my experience although I have to say I have much more experience of the US. But I did make a living serving alot of Australians around the Med.

I have made no comparison to the British who are probably equally ignorant in alot if respects.

20 minutes ago, Allora said:

The Royle Family was 1998 -2000

I don't think comedy shows are the best examples of the point you are trying to make. Your earlier examples made the point.

But things like Royles, Inbetweeners and Little Britain are mocking these views in many cases.

1 minute ago, Mattrhino said:

I have made no comparison to the British who are probably equally ignorant in alot if respects.

Only because those nasty foreigners stole all the nice pink bits off the globe until then two year olds knew where Bechuanaland was!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

From the BBC report Argle and Kenga have discussed over a video call now. Also added this...

'Kenga returned to social media to add: "I'd like to say I have forgiven him but still believe this needs to be severely addressed."'

Will be interesting to see how severely the RFL do address it. Given Argyle has quit (fired himself) now, a fine of a few hundred quid would be in line with previous offenses.

I mean they'd be better off making Toronto/Argyle fund some sort of diversity and inclusion programme. I'm not really sure what 'severely addressed' would be appropriate.

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't think comedy shows are the best examples of the point you are trying to make. Your earlier examples made the point.

But things like Royles, Inbetweeners and Little Britain are mocking these views in many cases.

I watched a couple of old episodes of the the Royle Family today commenting on Homosexuality and I did not see what you are suggesting anymore than Eddie calling his neighbour a Nignog or Sambo, that was supposed to be a send up parody type of show.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

I watched a couple of old episodes of the the Royle Family today commenting on Homosexuality and I did not see what you are suggesting anymore that Eddie calling his neighbour a Nignog or Sambo, that was supposed to be a send up parody type of show.

I think the main difference is that the audiences have changed. It is a fine line, because many take them literally and will just laugh at the n word.

16 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Just my experience although I have to say I have much more experience of the US. But I did make a living serving alot of Australians around the Med.

No, you did make a comparison.

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Australia is a strange place, they are a very progressive society but also have alot of casual racism which would not be tolerated here.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

On 07/06/2019 at 02:02, CanadianRugger said:

Yep, more a dig at Swinton than at him.  I'm Canadian and I can safely say that racial banter is a thing here. 

When I was in the Army we used to go at each other all the time like this.  Doesn't make it right but it is what it is.  One of my Corporals was from Peru and we would pretend we didn't know where it was and say "that's in Mexico right? So you're Mexican".  South Americans hate Mexicans.

No doubt Argyle had probably put back a few pints and thought he was being funny. 

Mea Culpa!

BS. Racial banter is not a thing here. There is no excuse for saying something like that and expecting to get a free pass. The thing that irks me most about this is the timing. It happened in April. If DA had gone to JK an hour or even a day later and given him a heartfelt apology, this might have been avoided. But DA didn't do that and finally after over a month JK seemed to feel that he had no other option but to say his piece.

What happen with your Peruvian corporal is what many POC do, they go along with racism in some deluded hope that they will be accepted, not because they find it funny.

Do I think DA is an out and out racist? No, but I can safely say that there are some deep rooted prejudices showing. 

22 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

if that is a fact Damien,then why say something unacceptable? Look,I get your point,he is owning what he has said and nobody wants to see a witchunt here,but the point being certain celebrities(I use the term loosely) have been removed from tv shows for tweets made years previously,because,funnily enough,what they have said is unacceptable,racism cant be dressed up and defended and sometimes a public apology doesn't always cut it.

And the problem was compounded by the time delay. Over a month passed. DA should have made his statement the next day. The fact that he delayed shows me that it was assumed by him that it would all blow over and be business as usual. It seems that at some point JK decided that it would all be brushed under the carpet if he didn't come forward.

20 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Really? Saying to a black person “do they allow black people in Swinton?” It would be like going up to a black person on at the front of the bus and asking them if they were allowed to sit there

And saying it with a smile on his face, 'cause we all know it can't be racist if you're smiling.

3 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Where are you from?  Somewhere in the 1950s

Not by age, but apparently the world has gone mad.

I have been in work environments that aren't filled with a bunch of people who are so sensitive. Where people can deal with their problems more directly. Why didn't the player confront Mr. Argyle then and there? Oh I know, he was in "shock".

Letter to David Argyle.

David,

You have started a great project bringing the Toronto Wolfpack to the city. You’ve put your reputation and your cash on the line. We as Rugby League fans appreciate it more than you know. We as fans are 100% behind your project and the players.

But, your ill-conceived and off-hand comment to a visiting player threatens to destroy what you started. I don’t believe for a second that you are racist and I know that all of us have made comments and decisions that we regret. I’m sure that you regret your comment. But you’ve let yourself down, you’ve let the team down but most of all you’ve let the fans and the city of Toronto down.

The issue now is how we accept your apology and move forward. I for one am happy that you came forward and reached out to Jose Kenga to right an obvious wrong. But there needs to be a further step. I would like to talk with you in 2 years. In the meantime I would like to see you make strides to repair the damage. Not with fines or donations but with real personal tasks.

I would like to see you set up a foundation to address racism in Rugby League and sport in general. I would like to see you leading this and using the team and the fans to bring it forward. If you do something like this, I will be the first in line to shake your hand and insist that you resume your positions as CEO and Chairman.

Yours,

Uvam Acerbam

TWP fan

12 minutes ago, ojx said:

I have been in work environments that aren't filled with a bunch of people who are so sensitive. Where people can deal with their problems more directly. Why didn't the player confront Mr. Argyle then and there? Oh I know, he was in "shock".

You mean you work with racists.

Never meet someone who will stand up to a #### bag like you.

Just now, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

You mean you work with racists.

Never meet someone who will stand up to a #### bag like you.

Giving up on reason and resorting to insults. Nice.

16 minutes ago, ojx said:

He did, he explicitly mentions calling him up on it straight away and argyles response was to laugh and give him a beer token. 

Some classic victim blaming here.

Just now, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

People like you dont get nice.

In a couple of weeks, when I have recovered. I'll post my true feeling about being insulted like this.

17 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Make sure you make a Twitter post about it 

Another ignoring the fact the player both called David argyle out straight away and reported to the RFL. 

These snarky remarks about him putting this on Twitter are ridiculous. It's appalling that the lack of action from either had left a player feeling like he has no other alternative than to take it public.

Archived