Jump to content

3 Aug: SL: Catalans Dragons v Warrington Wolves (Merged Threads)


Who will win?  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Catalans Dragons
      14
    • Warrington Wolves
      7

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/19 at 16:00

Recommended Posts


  • Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just watched the end of that game. The only adult in that ground who comes away with any kind of respect is James Child, he kept his composure surrounded by idiots on the pitch and idiots in the

Surely it was "football fans" again? Isn't that the standard rugby league fan's go-to line whenever there is trouble and they want to sweep it under the carpet? Any right minded Warrington a

I'm afraid we are all in danger of conflating two matters, as if one is relevant legally and morally to the other. Frankly, the behaviour of some players in recent times with regard to their atti

Posted Images

Respect.

Respect the referee, respect the disciplinary process, respect the disciplinary decision ( including appeal if that is possible).

A question: what club representatives were present at the disciplinary hearing?

 

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dave T said:

It would be good to see this thuggery we apparently got away with. I have been critical of our players and have no desire to defend their foul play, but people keep making this point and then offering up no instances of serious foul play.

The game was on tv, it should be easy for people to highlight the instances they think deserved bans.

I didn’t use the word “thuggery”. I am astonished that 5 Catalan players have been suspended and only 1 Wire. I don’t recall even Wire fans at the time arguing that they were that much more sinned against than sinners. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

The tweet he's quoting is from Catalans and subsequent to the match.

Caralans media are independant from the Catalan club.  I have had comms on twitter regarding their initial reporting of the trouble.  Good that they are looking at the good relationship between two sets of supporters.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I was in Carcasonne for a Wire - Broncos game (no idea why it was played there) and the atmosphere was superb. The sense I had was everyone respectfully enjoying themselves and enjoying being in a (mock) historic city. Certainly a million miles away from the 18-30 approach suggested above. 

I remember that, not long after super league started and they had games on the road. There were probably a few hundred hard core Wire fans who made the long journey on coaches.  Before the cheapie airlines became popular.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SL17 said:

The only player to bring the game into disrepute would be Kenny Edwards.

what about Tomikins' beard?

  • Haha 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

There never has been, has there? 

There’s direct flights from Stansted and five-six year’s ago, there was a large number of Saints fans on that flight, this year, you could probably count us on two hands. People stay in Spain these days because it’s cheaper for hotels, food and drink (beer is €6 a pint in Perpignan on non-gamedays). It appears that many stay in all-inclusive places in Lloret and places of a similar ilk to that. 

 

Agree with Oliver and Padge.  Comes down to cost and logistics for my family group.  We made a few trips staying in Perpignan or coastal resorts, this got too expensive so decided to stay in LDM. Cheaper flights to Gerona,  more accomodation options, food etc, you could chill round the pool or beach.  Plus less than a couple of hours drive to Perpignan.

The last time we did it, the word was getting around and became more of a Brits on the Pi** weekend unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I didn’t use the word “thuggery”. I am astonished that 5 Catalan players have been suspended and only 1 Wire. I don’t recall even Wire fans at the time arguing that they were that much more sinned against than sinners. 

Maybe go and have a read again mate, some of the social media stuff in particular was embarrassing. 

I have been very critical of my team (well both teams), but the main criticism was around the childish behaviour and bringing the game into disrepute as a group rather than individual cases of thuggery (that word wasn't aimed at you btw). It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Wire got few bans.

But let's look at what Catalans got.

They actually picked up 4 bans versus 1 for Wire. 2 of them were from the red cards, which are hard to argue, and the other 2 bans were from incidents earlier in the game.  Only 1 player was actually punished for the final brawl, and that is simply because nobody really did much apart from Tomkins who was found guilty of violent punching. 

The 5th (potential) ban for Catalans is for the Kenny Edwards incident, again, something Wire players didn't do.

I have acknowledged that I would have been comfortable had Hill received a ban for being a bit of a tool (not sure where that sits on the scale) but ultimately the serious incidents were carried out by Catalans players.

I genuinely think that the RFL have bottled it not charging the clubs overall, as it seems the next inquiry is only around the off-field stuff. Because in a game where there have been 8 charges handed out and 4 cautions, there should be a wider punishment to show that the game won't stand for this. 

Expecting 5 punishments each is a bit silly, as all 34 players acted differently, and this isn't about evening things up. 

Catalans have a problem at the moment that has been festering for a good few years now. The answer to the question "why is Catalans discipline so poor?" is only ever answered with claims about the Refs and the RFL. I think they need to look closer to home. I have no issue with them playing rough, as a team you develop your own style and behaviours, my team are certainly capable of mixing it up at the moment, but I don't believe in whining about it when you get hauled in for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No wonder Catalan think the refs and the RFL are against them , how the he'll did Mamo and Hill not get a ban ??????

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tiger Wolf said:

Agree with Oliver and Padge.  Comes down to cost and logistics for my family group.  We made a few trips staying in Perpignan or coastal resorts, this got too expensive so decided to stay in LDM. Cheaper flights to Gerona,  more accomodation options, food etc, you could chill round the pool or beach.  Plus less than a couple of hours drive to Perpignan.

The last time we did it, the word was getting around and became more of a Brits on the Pi** weekend unfortunately.

I don't think we need to be too snobby about how people choose to attend this weekend, as long as they behave. These kind of trips have always been about the beer.

And we should remember that the vast vast majority of the thousands of RL fans that travel to watch their teams play Catalans each year do so with no issues. 

Warrington have always had a good rep with Catalans, and it has always been a pee up, Barcelona 10 years ago certainly was, but with no trouble. In the main these games will pass off without incident, and rather than rampant hooliganism it is fair to say that these things occur on the back of a small flashpoint which then blows up. I've made the point before, teams like Warrington have plenty of rough-asses that watch them, there are many pubs in town that I wouldn't go in for a beer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The judgement on Mamo:

Player attempts to restrain opponent out of melee. Official witnesses player placing head on the head of opponent. Footage does not demonstrate opponent drawing head back to strike. Sin Bin Sufficient.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dave T said:

I must admit, I wouldn't have complained had Hill been banned for ignoring the ref, but I'm not sure that has ever been done before and the circumstances were a bit crazy. 

I find that just 1 ban for McIlorum was absurd. First he has previous, and on top of that his foul started it all off with virtually zero seconds on the clock and there just having being a bad tempered fracas and the ref having just cautioned everyone to cool down. Appalling decision. His action was premeditated while everything else, bad as it was, was instinctive.

Add to that, one player who deserved a punishment during the game, Philbin for at least 2 high shots, never got a card of any sort any time. So for me not only the clubs and the players, the disciplinary have also brought the game into disrepute.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I find that just 1 ban for McIlorum was absurd. First he has previous, and on top of that his foul started it all off with virtually zero seconds on the clock and there just having being a bad tempered fracas and the ref having just cautioned everyone to cool down. Appalling decision. His action was premeditated while everything else, bad as it was, was instinctive.

Add to that, one player who deserved a punishment during the game, Philbin for at least 2 high shots, never got a card of any sort any time. So for me not only the clubs and the players, the disciplinary have also brought the game into disrepute.

I agree on your first paragraph. 

I must admit I can't recall the 2 high shots in particular that you refer to, but again, there being 2 means nothing. If the tackle isn't bad enough for a card, it isn't bad enough (not saying they weren't by the way, I genuinely can't recall them).

EDIT: just watched them, and I'm not sure of the fuss. They are just bog-standard high tackles that we see during a normal RL game. The 2nd one appeared to bounce off the shoulder, I thought the first was more dangerous as looked like direct contact with the neck area. 

But we see loads of high tackles which are not a card at all.

Edited by Dave T
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave, as I pointed out earlier in the thread Wire have had a great rapport with Catalan stemming back to support in the CC semi at HJ, magic weekends plus at Wembley last year. You normally wouldnt get that level of bond between 2 super league clubs.  Yes Barcelona in 09 about 20k Catalan fans and maybe 1k Wire and no trouble.

Warrington do have a minority of fanbase that will look out for trouble or instigate, although not unique to Wire.  I wasnt at the game on Saturday but definately out of character from previous event free trips.  Although alcohol is a key contributor if anything flares up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The judgement on Mamo:

Player attempts to restrain opponent out of melee. Official witnesses player placing head on the head of opponent. Footage does not demonstrate opponent drawing head back to strike. Sin Bin Sufficient.

Give over with your facts. It's more to do with Leeds than what happened on't pitch mate. 

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

A player isn't allowed to criticise the ref, whether he's the team captain or not. All he can ask is for a clarification of a decision.

Well you must not be watching the same matches I do, players disagree with many judgment calls and tell the ref so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RLDave said:

Give over with your facts. It's more to do with Leeds than what happened on't pitch mate. 

Correct. People don’t want to hear about facts, they are only interested in things they deem as personal injustice, prejudice and conspiracy theories 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • John Drake changed the title to 3 Aug: SL: Catalans Dragons v Warrington Wolves (Merged Threads)
5 minutes ago, RLDave said:

Give over with your facts. It's more to do with Leeds than what happened on't pitch mate. 

 

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Correct. People don’t want to hear about facts, they are only interested in things they deem as personal injustice, prejudice and conspiracy theories 

Mamo seems a bit angry to me, and not particularly likeable on the pitch, but I am surprised to read that he could have had 3 red cards the other day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, my missus said:

5 catalan players banned! could be something to do with them playing leeds friday.

Absolutely pathetic comment. They were banned because they were s********s.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree on your first paragraph. 

I must admit I can't recall the 2 high shots in particular that you refer to, but again, there being 2 means nothing. If the tackle isn't bad enough for a card, it isn't bad enough (not saying they weren't by the way, I genuinely can't recall them).

EDIT: just watched them, and I'm not sure of the fuss. They are just bog-standard high tackles that we see during a normal RL game. The 2nd one appeared to bounce off the shoulder, I thought the first was more dangerous as looked like direct contact with the neck area. 

But we see loads of high tackles which are not a card at all.

Fair points. But I think clear fouls were barely punished and successive instances like this build up to where we ended up. We keep hearing about concussion protocols and a ref gives a warning!  Broadly however I agree that the blame for the fracas was not the fault of the ref. However I think he and the disciplinary can be criticised.

The game was a good game generally... very similar to the uncompromising Wigan v Hull game a few days earlier, but no trouble.  The players in the Cats game were really not interested in paying attention.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I agree on your first paragraph. 

I must admit I can't recall the 2 high shots in particular that you refer to, but again, there being 2 means nothing. If the tackle isn't bad enough for a card, it isn't bad enough (not saying they weren't by the way, I genuinely can't recall them).

EDIT: just watched them, and I'm not sure of the fuss. They are just bog-standard high tackles that we see during a normal RL game. The 2nd one appeared to bounce off the shoulder, I thought the first was more dangerous as looked like direct contact with the neck area. 

But we see loads of high tackles which are not a card at all.

you may be right but the issue for me was that the player (Philbin) two high shots followed two high shots from another player.   So for me it was becoming a pattern and whilst may not be intentional a sin bin should have been the least...  At some point the ref did speak to Warrington captain about the number of high shots... at that point he said it was five and that they needed to sort it. Of course the damage is done by then... damage as to wounding up opposition or damage as in impact for future head injuries...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggest people have look at the alleged head shots and then they have a think about what caused the brawl. Thirty seconds left, score 30-10 to Catalans and McIlorum targets Akiola with a pre-meditated straight arm. Had this not happened, the trouble on the pitch would not have happened.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Fair points. But I think clear fouls were barely punished and successive instances like this build up to where we ended up. We keep hearing about concussion protocols and a ref gives a warning!  Broadly however I agree that the blame for the fracas was not the fault of the ref. However I think he and the disciplinary can be criticised.

The game was a good game generally... very similar to the uncompromising Wigan v Hull game a few days earlier, but no trouble.  The players in the Cats game were really not interested in paying attention.  

I think the ref was too lenient on verbals tbh. Even McIlorum when binned refused to leave the field with an argument. I don't mind Child tbh (I don't have an issue with any ref) but maybe one criticism is he stays perhaps too calm verbally and doesn't assert his authority. Somebody made the point that Thaler would have been firmer vocally, as would Ganson in his day. I would welcome that and a tougher stance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...