Saints will look HOME and abroad for Holbrook replacement.

Hope we don’t look at home tbh. I personally don’t think there’s any candidates worth looking at. 

I’m not sure if Marshall is ready to step up to the plate and I’m sure that Wellens probably isn’t ready just yet either. 

Outside of the club, there’s nobody I’d really want who is based in the UK. I think we’d see Hell freeze over before Shaun Wane ever got the job, for example. Ian Watson? Again, I’d be wary of his ability to step up from Salford. 

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’d like to see Danny Ward given a go, what he’s done at London is superb and he’d also have decent contacts in Union (where I think we should be looking for players). 

Why would he have “decent contacts in Union”? Because he’s signed a bloke who played for the RU club whose facilities Broncos use? Is that deemed decent?

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Why would he have “decent contacts in Union”? Because he’s signed a bloke who played for the RU club whose facilities Broncos use? Is that deemed decent?

Because he played for Harlequins RL ?

Why are you often to quick to criticise people’s comments anyway OC, it’s just an internet forum. 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

I'm a strong advocate of Richard Marshall, what he achieved at Halifax a club with limited resources was outstanding. If he's not ready to step up now I don't know when he will be. 

Yes, I seem to remember in the other thread someone mentioning he"d been brought in with a view to take over in 2020.

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Because he played for Harlequins RL ?

Why are you often to quick to criticise people’s comments anyway OC, it’s just an internet forum. 

Not criticising. It’s an Internet forum, people have different opinions and I’m interested in people’s views. For all I knew, you were about to say that he has a decent link to Union players. 

31 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

I want Adam O'Brien to be appointed. With Melbourne and Roosters he has worked under two of the best coaches in the game and he is widely viewed as an NRL Head Coach in waiting.

Would seem to be a good choice. Given his experience. 

9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If they went for this guy they could have the best of both worlds?

MAIN-Alf-Stewart-Home-and-Away.jpg.f427f4dd656ac3e9a8b426af39e71274.jpg

Done it all down under. But these days his tactics are all over the place like a mad woman's footprints. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

30 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

This. 

You’re almost back to square one every 2-3 years when the good ones inevitably move on. 

4 posts above you were hoping Saints don't look at home? This is almost always the inevitable consequence of following that policy

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

4 posts above you were hoping Saints don't look at home? This is almost always the inevitable consequence of following that policy

I hope we don’t. Purely because the standard of candidates at present aren’t that high and some are, arguably, not ready. 

In an ideal world, we would employ from the UK and we’d just have a seamless transition from one coach to another with no negative effect on how we play/results, but I don’t think that’s likely. 

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Seems this whole thing has taken Saints by surprise and the higher ups have taken their eye off the ball. Long leaving and Marshall not having a full season as assistant before Holbrook goes.

Utter rubbish. So much wrong with that post.

We acted quickly to replace one highly rated assistant with a bloke who’s coached extensively at Championship level, have offered Holbrook a contract and already, if rumours are to be believed, have a shortlist in place for his replacement. 

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I hope we don’t. Purely because the standard of candidates at present aren’t that high and some are, arguably, not ready. 

In an ideal world, we would employ from the UK and we’d just have a seamless transition from one coach to another with no negative effect on how we play/results, but I don’t think that’s likely. 

The options at present in the UK are all coaches who do a lot with a little. Whether Saints would take a punt on such as coach is debatable but has to be no worse than an NRL assistant?

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Seems this whole thing has taken Saints by surprise and the higher ups have taken their eye off the ball. Long leaving and Marshall not having a full season as assistant before Holbrook goes.

Not really. Long wouldn't have got the job anyway, and it's too early for Marshall. Rush has already been over to Australia once I believe and there'll be a list of people they're interested in, but they'll go through the same interview process they went through with Holbrook and there's no way they'd be able to kick that off until Holbrook's future was sorted.

While the likes of Marshall, Ward and Watson might be good up-and-coming home-grown coaches, I'm not sure they're right for Saints yet. The likes of Demetriou and O'Brien have been in and around winning cultures for years (successful in their own right at lower levels too) and that's what we need now IMO, as nice as it would be to give one of the others an opportunity.

Just now, Moove said:

While the likes of Marshall, Ward and Watson might be good up-and-coming home-grown coaches, I'm not sure they're right for Saints yet. The likes of Demetriou and O'Brien have been in and around winning cultures for years (successful in their own right at lower levels too) and that's what we need now IMO, as nice as it would be to give one of the others an opportunity.

This...

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Utter rubbish. So much wrong with that post.

We acted quickly to replace one highly rated assistant with a bloke who’s coached extensively at Championship level, have offered Holbrook a contract and already, if rumours are to be believed, have a shortlist in place for his replacement. 

Alright we'll ignore all the journos and people in the game that have said this has come as a shock to St Helens. We'll also ignore how practically every one of the bookies have Wire and Wigan above Saints now for the 2020 season. 

As a fan of a team with a questionable coaching appointment record over the past year, this quite clearly is not how Saints had it planned.

2 minutes ago, Moove said:

Not really. Long wouldn't have got the job anyway, and it's too early for Marshall. Rush has already been over to Australia once I believe and there'll be a list of people they're interested in, but they'll go through the same interview process they went through with Holbrook and there's no way they'd be able to kick that off until Holbrook's future was sorted.

I wouldn't be so sure about Long personally but there you go. By all reports Holbrook to GC was done in less than a month and as we've heard nothing major in the press about Holbrook turning down a new deal at Saints, what conclusion can be drawn from that?

I agree and think Saints will almost certainly go down under unless other factors make a British option more viable.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Alright we'll ignore all the journos and people in the game that have said this has come as a shock to St Helens. We'll also ignore how practically every one of the bookies have Wire and Wigan above Saints now for the 2020 season. 

As a fan of a team with a questionable coaching appointment record over the past year, this quite clearly is not how Saints had it planned.

You’re basing Saints’ readiness for such news off Ladbrokes?

Have a good day pal, no point going any further, is there?

Archived