Sat 5 Oct: Championship - Play-off Final: Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers KO 7.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toronto Wolfpack
    • Featherstone Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/19 at 18:30

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

Looking into the future, I wonder how something like a League 1 GF and Championship GF as a double header at a neutral venue would work, maybe the day before the SL GF? 

It is about promotion, so is it that much to say the team finishing top (which in other situations would guarantee promotion) should get home advantage?

Given all the investment in Toronto, is it likely they will stay up?   If that... then who will go down. How damaging would that be?

1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

Thank God it's over! As a Featherstone fan I have to say well done and good luck for next season. I thought we put up a tremendous fight but it just wasn't enough.

See you in Ealing GB....bring plenty when you come

Laaahhhndddoonn!!!! 

Laaahhhndddoonn!!!! 

Laaahhhndddoonn!!!! 

25 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

You have to accept that sporting matches in other countries are generally very different to those in England. At a lot of NRL games in Aus you can hear a pin drop for half the game, until the annoying man on the tannoy tells the crowd to get behind their team ?. I actually think UK sporting crowds are unique - the constant singing, chanting and utter concentration on the game for pretty much the whole match is something you don’t really get elsewhere 

This is true, I’ve been to a sold out SOO And GF game in Sydney but have experienced a better atmosphere at most of the SL games I’ve been to

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Some of the comments on social media from M62ers are just incredible ?

Phil we just need Newcsatle to win tomorrow.

Give them a couple of years in the Championship then the M62 will be nowt but a memory for us old guys as we spread the game ...Toronto,Newcastle,Catalans, Tolouse.

The likes of Batley,Donny ,Leigh, Dewesbury etc etc  will find their own level and will still be around supported by their own fans.

Two years ago I mentioned we are going to an Aussie style system.

No promotion no relegation...

Look at the NRL..... top clubs producing top class footballers.....  but it still breeds a strong competition below the first grade.

Many NSW cup or Queensland cup guys are more than capable of cutting it in the championship...so if we have an elite Super League then the clubs below that will have to produce players capable of reaching SL standard.

Feeder clubs ??

Yes..but that is the same in any sport..the better guys go on to play at a higher level.

The better teams bring in the better money..big city sides ...big sponsors ...yet us  local guys can still roll up at Workington or Widnes or Keighley every weekend.

Bring it on

On the result, it is the best result for the game, Featherstone have done brilliantly to get where they did but they wouldn’t have had a hope they in hells chance of staying up, I’m sure I read that they were even considering staying part time?

Anyway, I’m hoping I get over to Toronto next year for a game, always fancied a trip that Canada although it does look quite Americanised in Toronto which puts me off it a little.

Just now, burnleywelsh said:

Or preferably they can attract some top RL talent........why gamble on RU ‘talent’ ??

The latter (even if it's only players who've gone to RU from RL) would add to the player pool, where the former would simply be a rearranging of the present player pool.

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

This is true, I’ve been to a sold out SOO And GF game in Sydney but have experienced a better atmosphere at most of the SL games I’ve been to

Ever been to a West Sydney Wanderers  game at Parramatta Stadium ??

Awesome atmosphere due to the "Ethnic European " back ground.

I have also been to SOO,GF and stood on the "Hill" at WIN Stadium.

Aussie League fans dont really get excited ......My Wollongong mates tell me when Hull played Wigan at WIN it was crazy compared to what they are used to.

59 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Well done to the Wolfpack on what turned out to be a convincing win in the end.  I'm saving up already to go support Saints when they play in the Lampart Stadium!  I remember first seeing that stadium when Premier Sports used to show the RL internationals between Canada and the USA a good few years back never thinking for one minute that I'd have the chance to visit the stadium myself to watch my own team play there!  Wonderful stuff.

What will really go down well with the locals though is to see some Canadians actually playing in the side.  I do hope that is the plan and that they have some players coming through.

Pity London Broncos fell at the last hurdle of their battle to stay up.  A league with a London team, a French team and a Canadian team as well as the traditional teams would have been a belter of a league!

In the top tier of pro RL the Wolfpack just might appeal to some of the Canadian RU players who'd otherwise have to go overseas to get a real pro contract.

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The latter (even if it's only players who've gone to RU from RL) would add to the player pool, where the former would simply be a rearranging of the present player pool.

Have you seen the Union World Cup? They lack the basic skills of even catch and pass, it’s embarrassing. Certainly wouldn’t add anything positive to the Wolfpack

50 minutes ago, Raz said:

This is fair criticism and stems from two things:

1. North American sports have less organization with crowd noise. I really like how UK/European crowds like to sing chants during games. It’s something I wish we’d adopt more in Canada especially for rugby/soccer.

2. Canadian fans are still learning the rules of the game and it’s not really easy to always understand live without commentary or understanding the referee signals. For better or worse, most Canadian fans are more familiar with the rules of Canadian and American football which have enough differences (successive knock ons vs fumbles is a big one that is resolved very differently between the sports). I think as TV coverage expands, more fans will start to understand the rules more while they’re at the games and can cheer appropriately.

Very good points.  The weird obsession the Brits have about making the game move as fast as possible doesn't help either, newcomers (especially if they've been raised with gridiron and the time between plays in that game) barely have time to register what happened on one play before the next play comes along.

14 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

In the top tier of pro RL the Wolfpack just might appeal to some of the Canadian RU players who'd otherwise have to go overseas to get a real pro contract.

How many would cut it in SL ...Top RU players have neither the skill set or the mind set..rather sign a load of NSW /Queensland cup players who know the game....cant see Wolfpack gambling on RU players..may one world star to give massive publicity but you bet your bottom dollar there will be very few converts especilly from the Canadian RU  side who are currently getting hammered in Japan.

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Have you seen the Union World Cup? They lack the basic skills of even catch and pass, it’s embarrassing. Certainly wouldn’t add anything positive to the Wolfpack

Considering that all the league players in Canada are playing union this should concern the English rl fan of the viability of more North American sides.

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

No I haven't, it's been many years since I tried to watch that game.  Seeing a French back drop a sitter as he tried to field a kick under no pressure at all during a World Cup match spoke volumes about the difference in the skill level of the two sports.  That said, back in the day a good many RU converts did well in RL so there could be some worthwhile targets for the Wolfpack to look at.

12 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Will just need to pull them away from MLR and CRU

Minor League Rugby (to call it what it really is) doesn't pay the best and won't for a long time to come and it's the only "pro" RU there is in North America.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Fev and Leigh showed just how good the Championship can be.  The rules are the rules but why such an important game was not on neutral ground is beyond me.  Perhaps they should abandon OT for Langtree Park next week.

Where would you suggest as neutral for Toronto v Fev. 

All this "they're not good enough" criticism of Canadian RU players seems a bit misplaced to me. That's what training is for. There didn't used to be any decent RL players in London, but there's a good few knocking about the SL now.

I'm sure there'll be a few more locals interested in a pro contract in SL than were interested in the championship, so with a bit of patience and some coaching, we may yet see the first Canadian handing out the hits on paddocks across England.

Archived