Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
philipw

18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

Recommended Posts

Read up on Sam Burgess’ injury. It sounds a bad one. He’s got arthritis in his shoulder and has reduced mobility and movement in his arm as a result. It sounds like Souths are going to get him through 2020 and he’ll retire but it sounds terrible and likely to effect him in later life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hall is lucky to be included in the Nines in my opinion.

He has not played enough games in recent times and regardless of what his "stats" say he has been anonymous in most of his six games for the Roosters.

If his Coach thought his stats were that good he would have played a part in the Finals series, the fact he didn't sums it up.

I doubt he will be at the Roosters past June next year.

Edited by Gibbo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Read up on Sam Burgess’ injury. It sounds a bad one. He’s got arthritis in his shoulder and has reduced mobility and movement in his arm as a result. It sounds like Souths are going to get him through 2020 and he’ll retire but it sounds terrible and likely to effect him in later life. 

Sam Burgess has played it hard for most of his career, it was bound to catch up with him early.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't realised until I read this article today that the England 9's squad is actually made up of the players that will be selected to play for Great Britain... as this excludes players from the Grand Finalists, it was a pretty restrictive pool to pick from for an effective 9's team.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/55829/great-britain-squad-update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I hadn't realised until I read this article today that the England 9's squad is actually made up of the players that will be selected to play for Great Britain... as this excludes players from the Grand Finalists, it was a pretty restrictive pool to pick from for an effective 9's team.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/55829/great-britain-squad-update

Indeed. Done on the cheap, as I've been saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Indeed. Done on the cheap, as I've been saying.

Or a valuable opportunity for the Great Britain selections to stay sharp prior to the tour?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I hadn't realised until I read this article today that the England 9's squad is actually made up of the players that will be selected to play for Great Britain... as this excludes players from the Grand Finalists, it was a pretty restrictive pool to pick from for an effective 9's team.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/55829/great-britain-squad-update

What I don't understand is that the article says that 11 players have been confirmed on the Great Britain tour due to their selection in the 9's squad but five players are excluded who are in the 9's.  Does this mean they have officially missed the cut for Great Britain.

Confusing

Ash Handley (Leeds Rhinos)

Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity)

Ryan Sutton (Canberra Raiders)

Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons)

Liam Watts (Castleford Tigers)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Or a valuable opportunity for the Great Britain selections to stay sharp prior to the tour?

I'd rather we take these things a bit more seriously and go for our best team without limiting ourselves.

Knowing this was kn and a tour, we could have moved our final a week earlier and had time for it all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'd rather we take these things a bit more seriously and go for our best team without limiting ourselves.

Knowing this was kn and a tour, we could have moved our final a week earlier and had time for it all. 

Moving the final may have proved problematic with Man U and Old Trafford.  I don't know how far in advance the date of the Grand Final needs to be confirmed.

But in principle I agree with you, I would rather we selected the best team for every international game/tournament we enter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Moving the final may have proved problematic with Man U and Old Trafford.  I don't know how far in advance the date of the Grand Final needs to be confirmed.

But in principle I agree with you, I would rather we selected the best team for every international game/tournament we enter.

Good ppint re. Utd, as not sure when we announced the W9's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree the season needs looking at but the climax this year, with the relegation playoffs being decided, then the Championship GF being concluded last week and the SL Grand Final topping it all off this weekend was a great way to finish the season.

It felt really up-beat to me, (enhanced by BBC's coverage of the latter stages). The game was shown in a really good light and that's cause for celebration.

(Moving the GF forward might have meant playing Championship and Super League GF's on the same weekend.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if the RLWC9s will be live on watchnrl.com or any other streaming plattform?

As of now nothing has been scheduled at watchnrl.com.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

Does anyone know if the RLWC9s will be live on watchnrl.com or any other streaming plattform?

As of now nothing has been scheduled at watchnrl.com.

 

Itll be on Sky Sports and their streaming service if you are uk based?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Itll be on Sky Sports and their streaming service if you are uk based?

Nope I ain‘t UK based. I get access to sky uk via vpn and nowtv but prefer watchnrl.com w/o using vpn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

World Nines will be on watchNRL. I contacted them and they helpfully replied with more than just the usual generic response you get from streaming services. A couple of tests will be streamed also, although not the GB tour tests sadly.

Edited by eal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I agree the season needs looking at but the climax this year, with the relegation playoffs being decided, then the Championship GF being concluded last week and the SL Grand Final topping it all off this weekend was a great way to finish the season.

It felt really up-beat to me, (enhanced by BBC's coverage of the latter stages). The game was shown in a really good light and that's cause for celebration.

(Moving the GF forward might have meant playing Championship and Super League GF's on the same weekend.)

I think the 9s wc is stupidly SH centric to the point it will make no impact whatsoever here. None at all. To the point as a proof of concept it will prove it holds no attraction. Day 1 everyone is at work, day 2 goes up against the ruwc quarter finals. 

Frankly if the viewing figures are even big enough to count it will be a shock

Separately I do think we need to look at the culmination of the season. I'm not sure we give enough build up to the GF for what it could achieve and I think we could do better

 I would ask the question of if we could get a deal from manchester to have a finals weekend there, if also wonder if we were better to have a week gap between the last play off game and GF to build the anticipation etc 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eal said:

World Nines will be on watchNRL. I contacted them and they helpfully replied with more than just the usual generic response you get from streaming services. A couple of tests will be streamed also, although not the GB tour tests sadly.

Thank you. This is good news. I got worried as nothing is scheduled. 
I hope they provide on demand services as well as highlights just in case....

Fingers crossed you‘re right.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eal said:

World Nines will be on watchNRL. I contacted them and they helpfully replied with more than just the usual generic response you get from streaming services. A couple of tests will be streamed also, although not the GB tour tests sadly.

Do you know who is broadcasting the GB Games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I think the 9s wc is stupidly SH centric to the point it will make no impact whatsoever here. None at all. To the point as a proof of concept it will prove it holds no attraction. Day 1 everyone is at work, day 2 goes up against the ruwc quarter finals. 

Frankly if the viewing figures are even big enough to count it will be a shock

Separately I do think we need to look at the culmination of the season. I'm not sure we give enough build up to the GF for what it could achieve and I think we could do better

 I would ask the question of if we could get a deal from manchester to have a finals weekend there, if also wonder if we were better to have a week gap between the last play off game and GF to build the anticipation etc 

Well, if you mean UK as „here“ you‘re propably right. But I for one I still believe that it gives emerging or tier 2/3 nations some kind of a kick start and motivation to play RL. How often do you see tier 2/3 vs tier 1 nations internationaly. In the NH there isn‘t a real competition - which I‘d like to see.

I think that in most EU countries the 9s could be the key to attract new fans and a new tv audience.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see they ate offering 2 for 1 tickets for the 9s this weekend. So seems to he going well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

day 2 goes up against the ruwc quarter finals. 

Not really an issue in Australia.. 😀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lanzer98 said:

Well, if you mean UK as „here“ you‘re propably right. But I for one I still believe that it gives emerging or tier 2/3 nations some kind of a kick start and motivation to play RL. How often do you see tier 2/3 vs tier 1 nations internationaly. In the NH there isn‘t a real competition - which I‘d like to see.

I think that in most EU countries the 9s could be the key to attract new fans and a new tv audience.

 

 

Dont get me wrong, I'm a huge fan on the 9s concept. I think it absolutely us integral to the spread of the game not just in tv viewers but more importantly in player numbers. 

I just think we have half arsed it massively. We need 3 or 4 9s comps a year not 1 every 4 years, it needs to be given a prime place not tacked on to the beginning of a tour, it needs to be a full weekend rather than a couple games on a friday night and a Saturday 

In fact I would say it is more important we get 9s played than who plays it and there is no need to go to the same well and use the same players as are playing internationals. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Dont get me wrong, I'm a huge fan on the 9s concept. I think it absolutely us integral to the spread of the game not just in tv viewers but more importantly in player numbers. 

I just think we have half arsed it massively. We need 3 or 4 9s comps a year not 1 every 4 years, it needs to be given a prime place not tacked on to the beginning of a tour, it needs to be a full weekend rather than a couple games on a friday night and a Saturday 

In fact I would say it is more important we get 9s played than who plays it and there is no need to go to the same well and use the same players as are playing internationals. 

I agree with you.

I hope the WC delivers some shock results and competitive games for the smaller nations. That might lead to more international 9s competitions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...