Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
philipw

18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

Recommended Posts

Australian men's squad

Josh Addo-Carr

Jai Arrow

AJ Brimson

Nathan Brown

Kyle Feldt

Tyson Frizell

Reuben Garrick

Wade Graham

Clint Gutherson

Ben Hunt

Mitchell Moses

Ryan Papenhuyzen

Kalyn Ponga

Curtis Scott

Cody Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Australian men's squad

Josh Addo-Carr

Jai Arrow

AJ Brimson

Nathan Brown

Kyle Feldt

Tyson Frizell

Reuben Garrick

Wade Graham

Clint Gutherson

Ben Hunt

Mitchell Moses

Ryan Papenhuyzen

Kalyn Ponga

Curtis Scott

Cody Walker

I have a sneaky feeling they may win ...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting squad. Bit of an element that they might be saving on airfares, I think a couple of players like Jack Walker maybe even Keiron Dixon would be better suited to 9s

But while the temptation is to go with the speedy, agile player we seem to have gone for size. Hall, McGilvery are big wingers, Lynne a bit of a unit. Interesting to see if it works

Wouldnt be surprised to see us struggle though, I think teams like Fiji, PNG and Samoa will put out good sides out. Tonga would have been one of the favourites if not for their political issues

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, redsi42 said:

Only regan that would be missed.  I’d have charted a flight just for him 

maybe josh jones he’s be a nightmare in a nines squad

Seriously? Not the likes of Lomax, Percival, Makinson and Thompson? 

If they're trying to give this 9s comp significance, ensuring you can't pick players from the Grand Final is one sure-fire way to hamper that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I have a sneaky feeling they may win ...

Indeed.  I would take Daryl Clark ahead of Ben Hunt and Widdop ahead of Brimson but after that I am struggling to think of an England player I would definitely have ahead of their Australian counterparts.  Probably just Elliott Whitehead for one of their back rowers.

Not too many then!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Australian men's squad

Josh Addo-Carr

Jai Arrow

AJ Brimson

Nathan Brown

Kyle Feldt

Tyson Frizell

Reuben Garrick

Wade Graham

Clint Gutherson

Ben Hunt

Mitchell Moses

Ryan Papenhuyzen

Kalyn Ponga

Curtis Scott

Cody Walker

They’re clearly not bothered about picking forwards! A big contrast to the England side, be interesting to see how the 2 compete. A huge amount of individual ability and athleticism in that Australia line up 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RP London said:

Original Northern Union shirt was red and white hoops so wouldnt mind seeing it come back from the England International kit.. would make it different from other England sports teams too.

yes, the one they wore for that test in Oz a few years back was very nice.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

They’re clearly not bothered about picking forwards! A big contrast to the England side, be interesting to see how the 2 compete. A huge amount of individual ability and athleticism in that Australia line up 

Yes, very different make up of squads.  England have selected 4 middle forwards (Graham, T. Burgess, Watts and Sutton) plus 2 edge forwards (Hughes & Whitehead) while Australia go with just 2 middles (Arrow and Brown) and 2 edge forwards (Frizell & Graham).

Potentially I could see the Aussies suffering from being too lightweight in the middle... they have definitely put all their eggs in the speed basket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Probably asked before (sorry) but is this being televised?

yes, it will be on Sky

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't seen the Kiwi squad (if its been announced), but reckon they might fancy this.

The Aussies rarely get it wrong in terms of selection. The likes of Ponga, Papenhuyzen and Add-Carr are gonna love the extra space.

  • Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the England squad - I think we look a tad immobile and lacking invention, which I believe is more important for this format with more space available!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d have a stab at an England squad

Bateman 

Whitehead

Thompson 

Makinson

Mcgilvary

Lomax

Percival

Jones

Conner

Gildart

Clark

Philbin

Evaldes 

Hastings

Watts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Addo-Carr and Ponga should rip this up. 

I think our side is quite poor, tbh. 

They will do if we are picking players like Graham,T Burgess,Hall and Sutton for a nines comp. we should either pick a quality mobile side or go with young players. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Clark, Whitehead and Connor are particularly well suited to 9's.  The first two because of their pace and skill for forwards to go with workload and the latter because of creativity.

In the outside backs, we have gone for fast big men (McGilvary, Lyne & Hall) rather than out and out speedsters.  Maybe that is necessity over design but they are all quality players if fit and healthy.  Maybe Ash Handley will be a bolter!

The key for me is whether we have thrown too many big middles in the mix and whether Widdop, Williams, Trueman and Tomkins can provide enough creativity.

I think it is fair to say that not many of the English lads will be beating Papenhuyzen and Addo-Carr in a footrace but there is more to winning a game than out and out speed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I think Regan Grace is in the Welsh squad. 

My mistake I thought it was a GB squad

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Australian and New Zealand teams look far stronger and more suitable for nines than the England one. I just can't understand some of the England selections or the logic behind them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lebanese Rugby League Federation has selected the following players to represent the Lebanon Nines Squad in the Downer Rugby League World Cup 9s, at Bankwest Stadium on October 18 and 19.

 

Kayne Kalache

James Roumanos

Elie El-Zakhem

Reece Robinson

Travis Robinson

Jacob Kiraz

Jalal Bazzaz

Anthony Layoun

Bilal Maarbani

Jayden El-Jalkh

Adam Rizk

Josh Rizk

John Paul Nohra

Johnny-Lee Gabriel

Charbel Tasipale

Ahmad Harajly Ziad

Agha Jordan Samrani

 

Head Coach: Rick Stone

 

These guys are going to get slaughtered.

Edited by Pulga

new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pulga said:

The Lebanese Rugby League Federation has selected the following players to represent the Lebanon Nines Squad in the Downer Rugby League World Cup 9s, at Bankwest Stadium on October 18 and 19.

 

Kayne Kalache

James Roumanos

Elie El-Zakhem

Reece Robinson

Travis Robinson

Jacob Kiraz

Jalal Bazzaz

Anthony Layoun

Bilal Maarbani

Jayden El-Jalkh

Adam Rizk

Josh Rizk

John Paul Nohra

Johnny-Lee Gabriel

Charbel Tasipale

Ahmad Harajly Ziad

Agha Jordan Samrani

 

Head Coach: Rick Stone

 

These guys are going to get slaughtered.

One guy is a US RU 7s and 15s player.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_Harajly

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Damien said:

The Australian and New Zealand teams look far stronger and more suitable for nines than the England one. I just can't understand some of the England selections or the logic behind them.

I can. They play in Oz and it was cheap to just pick them. 

I mean, Ryan Sutton, James Graham and Tom Burgess are such no-brainers for 9s, and Ryan Hall has done so much to earn his spot this year. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I can. They play in Oz and it was cheap to just pick them. 

I mean, Ryan Sutton, James Graham and Tom Burgess are such no-brainers for 9s, and Ryan Hall has done so much to earn his spot this year. 

Indeed, I completely agree that is the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...