Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Mumby Magic

The Greatest ever RL XIII

I wouldn't be able to comment on players who finished their careers before I started watching the game (1984), the team below is the best I have seen when they are playing at their absolute best.

1. Darren Lockyer

2. Martin Offiah

3. Mal Meninga

4. Greg Inglis

5. Wendell Sailor

6. Wally Lewis

7. Andrew Johns

8. Kevin Ward

9. Cameron Smith

10. Glen Lazarus

11. Mark Graham

12. Paul Sculthorpe

13. Ellery Hanley

1. Inglis 

2. Offiah

3. Hanley

4. Meninga

5. C.Sullivan

6. Kenny

7. Murphy

8. Ward

9. Roby

10. Lazarus

11. Morley

12. Farrell

13. Price

Bench: Beetson.  Roach. Peacock. Crane

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The greatest of all time for a game where the aim is to score tries and goals .... and yet nobody has yet mentioned the all-time top try and goal scorers in Brian Bevan and Jim Sullivan  !!! 🤨

Never saw them play.  What were they like?

7 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The greatest of all time for a game where the aim is to score tries and goals .... and yet nobody has yet mentioned the all-time top try and goal scorers in Brian Bevan and Jim Sullivan  !!! 🤨

This is where these kind of debates fall down. Someone like Sullivan finished playing in 1946. Even a 80 year old would have only been 6 at this time and would be in no position to have an opinion other than one based on heresay. Anyone younger is picking people like that based on stats alone. Rugby League was a completely different game then with a completely different skillset.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Never saw them play.  What were they like?

Neither did I ... but the subject is the greatest of "ever" not the greatest of who anybody has seen.

As with all such polls concerning past players then people can only go off what they have heard, read or been told about.

Yes many past players might not have had the fitness or strength to compete in today's RL but you can only assess their abilities on what they achieved when the game was played at their time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

This is where these kind of debates fall down. Someone like Sullivan finished playing in 1946. Even a 80 year old would have only been 6 at this time and would be in no position to have an opinion other than one based on heresay. Anyone younger is picking people like that based on stats alone. Rugby League was a completely different game then with a completely different skillset.

True.  All I went by was who I’ve seen.

Seems crazy leaving out Sterling, Lewis, Webcke, Millward, Ettinshousen, Wiki, Graham, Karalius, etc etc etc and there are just as many from yesteryear.

Where is Kevin Costner when you need him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Neither did I ... but the subject is the greatest of "ever" not the greatest of who anybody has seen.

As with all such polls concerning past players then people can only go off what they have heard, read or been told about.

Yes many past players might not have had the fitness or strength to compete in today's RL but you can only assess their abilities on what they achieved when the game was played at their time.

Exactly.  How can I comment on who I’ve never seen?  So my greatest is there, so is Dunbar’s, so is Keith Mumby’s. - he wouldnt get in by the way.  Not for joinery either.

14 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Exactly.  How can I comment on who I’ve never seen?  So my greatest is there, so is Dunbar’s, so is Keith Mumby’s. - he wouldnt get in by the way.  Not for joinery either.

I never said about who you or anyone else should comment on. I, like you,  am just gaving an opinion to which you asked had I ever seen them.

However, as I said in my previous post, the subject is the greatest ever, so, going off your view then if people have never seen them play that would ignore all those who took part in about the first 40 years of our game.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

This is far too hard, my head hurts.😵

Although Tony Myler would be the first name in my 13. Utter class!

In shirt numbers 1-7, Sam Panapa. :kolobok_wink:

• Haha 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

My GB X111.  Again since the mid 80's and when each player was at their very best.

1. Jonathan Davies

2. Martin Offiah

3. Garry Schofield

4. Paul Newlove

5. Jason Robinson

6. Tony Myler

7. Andy Gregory

8. Kevin Ward

9. James Roby

10. Andy Platt

11. Paul Sculthorpe

12. Andy Goodway

13. Ellery Hanley

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, doc said:

This is far too hard, my head hurts.😵

Although Tony Myler would be the first name in my 13. Utter class!

Superb player.

• Like 1

This is like a poll last year where people were asked to vote for the top UK comedians of all time, Out of the top 30 there was only one who was at his peak before World War 2 and that was Stan Laurel .....  who was voted as No. 1 !!!!!!

ie .. No Charlie Chaplin, Max Miller, etc because today's generation didn't really know about them.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Gray Viane. 

Rex Turp.

41 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

This is like a poll last year where people were asked to vote for the top UK comedians of all time, Out of the top 30 there was only one who was at his peak before World War 2 and that was Stan Laurel .....  who was voted as No. 1 !!!!!!

ie .. No Charlie Chaplin, Max Miller, etc because today's generation didn't really know about them.

You should be thankful today's generation didn't know Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson. 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

You should be thankful today's generation didn't know Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson. 

And if today's generation had lived at that time then they would have laughed at them as well !

For their time they were great comedians.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

And if today's generation had lived at that time then they would have laughed at them as well !

For their time they were great comedians.

How old do you have to be to have laughed at them.  I am 49 years old and I knew from the first time I saw them they terrible and hateful ########.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Just amended it slightly; forgot about Webcke.

I see you swapped out Lazarus for Webcke.  Big call as Lazarus was a huge presence in the front row.  To make way for Webcke I would have kept Lazarus and swapped out Civoniceva.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I see you swapped out Lazarus for Webcke.  Big call as Lazarus was a huge presence in the front row.  To make way for Webcke I would have kept Lazarus and swapped out Civoniceva.

I did. I remember Lazarus being excellent for both club and country but I was still young so the memories of Webcke and Civoniceva are a bit clearer. The joys of youth! 😄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Just amended it slightly; forgot about Webcke.

Yes, some prop he was.

I remember taking a youth team to watch him play for Australia.  Aus scored and he appeared to be hobbling back to receive the restart - then we kicked off, he hit it up stronger than ever.  

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes, some prop he was.

I remember taking a youth team to watch him play for Australia.  Aus scored and he appeared to be hobbling back to receive the restart - then we kicked off, he hit it up stronger than ever.  

not good enough to lace the boots of Brendan hill, now theres a true great

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black