Sign in to follow this  
Damien

SBW signs for Toronto - Confirmed

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Strewth, I haven’t suggested SBW is the biggest name on the planet or anything. 

But to pretend this hasn’t given RL  massive exposure it normally wouldn’t have is just bizarre. 

No I agree, it’s an exciting move and it will have an impact. My comment was in response to the Magic Johnson comparison. Johnson would be known outside basketball circles (myself for one) whereas SBW outside the rugby codes would not, certainly not to any great degree. Only Lomu transcended RU. 

Prior to this move, I couldn’t have named who was the biggest name in RU. It has only been prompted by various media naming him as the biggest during this transfer that I considered him. And now thinking about it, he probably is (was), but there really is no household name in RU that joe public could name. Having watched the RUWC there wasn’t anyone that stood out, which is understandable as the way the game is played now makes it very very difficult for anyone to do so. Lomu did so due to turnstile defences (and tramping over Mike Catt), he couldn’t do that nowadays as he’d be met by bigger/bulkier opponents than he had to face and would also have less space to roam with defences much tighter. Barely noticed SBW throughout the last tournament, couldn’t help but notice Lomu throughout the two he played in.

43 minutes ago, DC77 said:

No I agree, it’s an exciting move and it will have an impact. My comment was in response to the Magic Johnson comparison. Johnson would be known outside basketball circles (myself for one) whereas SBW outside the rugby codes would not, certainly not to any great degree. Only Lomu transcended RU. 

Prior to this move, I couldn’t have named who was the biggest name in RU. It has only been prompted by various media naming him as the biggest during this transfer that I considered him. And now thinking about it, he probably is (was), but there really is no household name in RU that joe public could name. Having watched the RUWC there wasn’t anyone that stood out, which is understandable as the way the game is played now makes it very very difficult for anyone to do so. Lomu did so due to turnstile defences (and tramping over Mike Catt), he couldn’t do that nowadays as he’d be met by bigger/bulkier opponents than he had to face and would also have less space to roam with defences much tighter. Barely noticed SBW throughout the last tournament, couldn’t help but notice Lomu throughout the two he played in.

But I never suggested SBW would attract non RL fans (although it’s possible) I was just pointing out that big names can generate crowds amongst a sports followers. I merely said Magic Johnson as a random name that people will have heard of.

Besides any of that, perceptions can also be important. If it’s seen that RL can attract big names and splash the cash, it sends out the message that it’s still there and something high calibre people will get involved with.

This all has knock on effects for things like sponsorship etc etc.

• Like 1

Was in the pub last night with a couple of mates and there was four young ads on the next table, I think they were from the local union club.  Their conversation was about going down to that there London  to watch SBW and Toronto play St Helens in February. Probably 100 mile plus round trip for them, but it seems word is spreading.  

• Like 2