Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Wayne Bennetts future decided on several issues

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I completely agree that for the game to grow it needs more schools playing. However how do you suggest ‘we’ (by that do you mean the RFL or clubs?) go about it - the game is absolutely skint and it takes money to get people playing in non-Heartland areas (which the owners of London and Newcastle have and are prepared to spend). 

For example I live in Norfolk where I suspect there isn’t a single school playing the game. How, other than by paying coaches and offering them to schools for free, could it be done?

Kids don’t have to be playing in costly league arrangements at first.  Playing every 3 or 4 weeks in tournaments if good enough.  From those, local arrangements/matches can be made.

It doesn’t take mega bucks but it needs Volunteers. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jroyales said:

The shortage of players and the dependence on overseas players sits squarely at the RL management door. Summer rugby has reduced the number of lads playing the game at grassroots. In my playing day all amateur clubs had two teams, some had three, now in summer with all of the other things going on, clubs are struggling to field one side.

Also, SL aka Sky will be cutting funding to grassroots rugby so reducing the number of players even more!

I feel for Bennett having to field a competitive  side with very limited resources.

Nothing to do with summer switch, all major grassroots Sports are struggling with the changing society 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I agree we need to start somewhere and start now.

I dont know whether another academy taking players out of the amateur pool in greater manchester and hull are the answers.

 

A starting point would be one of the clubs who lie in saturated areas re-igniting the midlands junior league to feed into an academy.

Of course it requires money, vision, volunteers and support from Clubs foundations but sadly people all too often don’t seem to want to do the hard yards and develop a long term vision and strategy (which is what was so refreshing about Newcastle’s approach)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Kids don’t have to be playing in costly league arrangements at first.  Playing every 3 or 4 weeks in tournaments if good enough.  From those, local arrangements/matches can be made.

It doesn’t take mega bucks but it needs Volunteers.

It needs something else too: kids being inspired to want to play in the first place.  In the era when they all see continental-scale competitions like the Champions League, UEFA League and Heineken Cup as standard fare, how do you expect a sport which outsiders think (in and when they ever think of it that is) is a small time regional game with limited appeal to give that inspiration and desire to play to those kids?

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jroyales said:

The shortage of players and the dependence on overseas players sits squarely at the RL management door. Summer rugby has reduced the number of lads playing the game at grassroots. In my playing day all amateur clubs had two teams, some had three, now in summer with all of the other things going on, clubs are struggling to field one side.

Also, SL aka Sky will be cutting funding to grassroots rugby so reducing the number of players even more!

I feel for Bennett having to field a competitive  side with very limited resources.

It doesn't matter what team sport you care to mention - football, cricket, rugby league, union, anything else - the numbers are falling year after year. People just don't want to play team sports anymore. They like going to the gym, they like taking classes, they like occasional, casual sports events like softball and dodgeball and tag rugby after work. But they do not want to commit to a team where they have to train twice a week and play on weekends and be committed to something for 8 months of the year. They just don't. And it's even harder for a sport like RL where the risk of injury is high.

You can criticise it. You can complain about it. Your can talk about how it was when you were young. But it ain't gonna change a thing. It's the way the world is now.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

We need to play France in mid season in France and not have any NRL players and a maximum of 2 players per club and the team all Englishmen.

I see no value for the game of England playing against a team of plastic Scots, plastic Irishman and plastic Welshmen

Those "plastic" teams can actually be more competitive than France.


Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Nothing to do with summer switch, all major grassroots Sports are struggling with the changing society 

I'm not sure summer rugby has been a success.  

But referring back might be difficult now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Kids don’t have to be playing in costly league arrangements at first.  Playing every 3 or 4 weeks in tournaments if good enough.  From those, local arrangements/matches can be made.

It doesn’t take mega bucks but it needs Volunteers. 

 

Ok but getting volunteers is hard, especially in new areas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It needs something else too: kids being inspired to want to play in the first place.  In the era when they all see continental-scale competitions like the Champions League, UEFA League and Heineken Cup as standard fare, how do you expect a sport which outsiders think (in and when they ever think of it that is) is a small time regional game with limited appeal to give that inspiration and desire to play to those kids?

Do kids think RL is a small time regional game?  Very Parkyesque.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Ok but getting volunteers is hard, especially in new areas. 

It is mate, but get the kids playing and a parent or two will volunteer.  Many are just waiting to be asked.  It’s a big challenge to maintain though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Do kids think RL is a small time regional game?  Very Parkyesque.

Chances are that they do if they ever compare it to those other sports.  Other posters here who live outside the game's traditional heartland have said that in talking about the game with neighbours and work colleagues yjru found that the majority don't know anything about the game and most of the others have that negative view of it, so chances are that those others' kids have the same mix of lack of awareness and indifference/disinterest.

Edited by Big Picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

A starting point would be one of the clubs who lie in saturated areas re-igniting the midlands junior league to feed into an academy.

Of course it requires money, vision, volunteers and support from Clubs foundations but sadly people all too often don’t seem to want to do the hard yards and develop a long term vision and strategy (which is what was so refreshing about Newcastle’s approach)

I've thought similar. 

I'd accept the argument that maybe GM is saturated and Leigh or Salford academy wouldnt be worth it there. Cant say the same for Wales or Scotland or the Midlands 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Chances are that they do if they ever compare it to those other sports.  Other posters here who live outside the game's traditional heartland have said that in talking about the game with neighbours and work colleagues yjru found that the majority don't know anything about the game and most of the others have that negative view of it, so chances are that those others' kids have the same mix of lack of awareness and indifference/disinterest.

Sorry mate, nothing personal but tripe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Chances are that they do if they ever compare it to those other sports.  Other posters here who live outside the game's traditional heartland have said that in talking about the game with neighbours and work colleagues yjru found that the majority don't know anything about the game and most of the others have that negative view of it, so chances are that those others' kids have the same mix of lack of awareness and indifference/disinterest.

you could say the same about hockey but our local club side get about 9 adult male sides out and their junior teams are packed full of kids.. I wish our Rugby club was the same.. they also have a thriving female set up i just know less about it as my nephew plays down there so I am aware of the mens, however, if he didnt play down there neither myself nor my brother would be aware they existed, numbers would be the same though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

It doesn't matter what team sport you care to mention - football, cricket, rugby league, union, anything else - the numbers are falling year after year. People just don't want to play team sports anymore. They like going to the gym, they like taking classes, they like occasional, casual sports events like softball and dodgeball and tag rugby after work. But they do not want to commit to a team where they have to train twice a week and play on weekends and be committed to something for 8 months of the year. They just don't. And it's even harder for a sport like RL where the risk of injury is high.

You can criticise it. You can complain about it. Your can talk about how it was when you were young. But it ain't gonna change a thing. It's the way the world is now.

This is where things like touch/tag, 9s etc come in

5/6 a side football has grown massively

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be careful what you wish for.  He hasn’t had a full strength squad to go with this time.

Both assistants are relatively new to the International game.  Although I champion the assistant stepping up into the job, the England squad has had several including an Aussie or two.  Scully, Anderson, Watson, Danny Ward.

personally, I don’t think we can look beyond Powell or Wane.....in England.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Be careful what you wish for.  He hasn’t had a full strength squad to go with this time.

Both assistants are relatively new to the International game.  Although I champion the assistant stepping up into the job, the England squad has had several including an Aussie or two.  Scully, Anderson, Watson, Danny Ward.

personally, I don’t think we can look beyond Powell or Wane.....in England.

He hasn’t had a full strength squad so he calls for a specialist winger to fly 10,000 miles to join them (having only just come back from Australia) to not put him in the squad

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He hasn’t had a full strength squad so he calls for a specialist winger to fly 10,000 miles to join them (having only just come back from Australia) to not put him in the squad

See above.  

I think he’s been confused on what he could and couldn’t do.  Remember his quote regarding Grace when he said he didn’t know if he could or couldn’t call him up.

Two Leeds guys over there, they might have arranged it in case of someone not being match fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

A ringing endorsement for the coach right there!

Maybe.  I suppose if you don’t like him then every bit of dung sticks.

There might be rules around a touring international squad and adding players as well as times you add them.  I’m unsure.

anyway, Handley isn’t  playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 13:24, The Future is League said:

This past season Salford didn't have an academy team and Hull FC and Hull KR had a joint academy in a Rugby League city like Hull. Yet Newcastle and London run academies. How long has Rugby League been played in Hull and Salford?

Pathetic from Salford and the Hull clubs in my opinion.

how many players does each academy produce to SL or CH level should be more of an indicator, the joint CoHA was meant to reduce costs/shared facilities whilst still having similar number of players AFAICT. 

The actuality is that Hull is in fact smaller than the Wakefield and Wigan metropolitan areas' and indeed Warrington Borough is only a handful of thousand smaller than Hull too, so in reality we punch above our weight having two SL teams in an area that isn't by any stretch well off. Yyes rugby has been around for over 150 years in FCs case but that is meaningless, it's what is currently happening, what money there is now and where a club prioritises that money. 

A lot of fans want to go back to separate academies but honestly, the finances are being propped up at HKR by the council and crash for cash and FC are just about staying head above water.

 

As for Bennett, outstayed his welcome and by 2 years already, blew the chance of winning the WC with some terrible decision making. Sinfield isn't worth 10% of whatever he's been paid, a mouthpiece yes man, when he gets his beak out of Bennett's orifice he can go do one as well, what does he actually bring/do for his money?? Clearly incapable of grasping that certain players missing is not an excuse, especially when best case they were already on the wane in any case, failed to bring through and play players who should have been there in 2017, never mind 2019, ignores the outstanding efforts of some players and the poor performances of the golden children ever mind his exceptionally poor positioning of said players.

The way things are it's the first time in a long time were I've thought, do you know what, I'm not enthused to go to the next lot of home internationals because we are dog do and look like a team run by a Saturday pub team coach who has no players to choose from because half of them are doing a shift down t' local factory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...