coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

In Cambridge they are taking it more seriously than here in St Helens, that's for sure. 

I suspect it's because the university is closed, the tourist sites are closed and the city centre shops are closed (no supermarkets in the centre). Probably a much higher than average number of people who can work from home too - all those software & scientific companies.  

While I'm having a time-out with a cup of tea, here's an insight into the positive work we're doing that won't see, to help you understand the impacts.

Two weeks ago, the NHS was very much local work for local areas and there was vast resistance to actually learning from elsewhere as "they don't understand OUR needs". This morning, I was working with people from the The Wirral, Darlington, Barnet, Surrey and other areas getting clinical pathways right (essentially the flow-charts that help doctors with difficult choices). Those of us who truly believe in the N part of NHS have been let off our leash and told to just "get it done". The freedom...

We've done more change in two weeks than in the last six years I've been in the NHS.

Two weeks ago, moving to a largely tele/video conference model of general practice was treated as heresy "the patients won't stand for it!" "don't like it, need to see patients in person!" and "electrickery! I haven't even got the hang of antibiotics yet". Well, maybe not so much of the last one. We're not going back to mainly face-to-face appointments when this is done as even the most stubborn of stalwarts has accepted that this is the future.

The blockers are having a tough time of it. Those who will not make decisions are being ignored and wondering why no-one's calling them or emailing them. Those who just refuse to move as quickly as needed are likely to find themselves on the "manage out" path after this is over.

It is exposing some deep divides, but they've effectively been parcelled up, stuck in a box with an "open when COVID-19 goes away" label on them. That parking of egos is so welcome it's unbelievable. People responding with "yep, my error, here's the right one" rather than doubling down to defend the indefensible when two weeks ago they'd be arguing today was Friday if they made that mistake

So, this COVID-19 thing is a disaster for the country, but it will result in a far leaner and better NHS that's just sucked up all its problems and got on with it. It will likely lead to a brutal NHS civil war once it's over with the blockers doing their damnedest to keep their jobs while the agile lot will be determined to get shot of them immediately.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

While I'm having a time-out with a cup of tea, here's an insight into the positive work we're doing that won't see, to help you understand the impacts.

Two weeks ago, the NHS was very much local work for local areas and there was vast resistance to actually learning from elsewhere as "they don't understand OUR needs". This morning, I was working with people from the The Wirral, Darlington, Barnet, Surrey and other areas getting clinical pathways right (essentially the flow-charts that help doctors with difficult choices). Those of us who truly believe in the N part of NHS have been let off our leash and told to just "get it done". The freedom...

We've done more change in two weeks than in the last six years I've been in the NHS.

Two weeks ago, moving to a largely tele/video conference model of general practice was treated as heresy "the patients won't stand for it!" "don't like it, need to see patients in person!" and "electrickery! I haven't even got the hang of antibiotics yet". Well, maybe not so much of the last one. We're not going back to mainly face-to-face appointments when this is done as even the most stubborn of stalwarts has accepted that this is the future.

The blockers are having a tough time of it. Those who will not make decisions are being ignored and wondering why no-one's calling them or emailing them. Those who just refuse to move as quickly as needed are likely to find themselves on the "manage out" path after this is over.

It is exposing some deep divides, but they've effectively been parcelled up, stuck in a box with an "open when COVID-19 goes away" label on them. That parking of egos is so welcome it's unbelievable. People responding with "yep, my error, here's the right one" rather than doubling down to defend the indefensible when two weeks ago they'd be arguing today was Friday if they made that mistake

So, this COVID-19 thing is a disaster for the country, but it will result in a far leaner and better NHS that's just sucked up all its problems and got on with it. It will likely lead to a brutal NHS civil war once it's over with the blockers doing their damnedest to keep their jobs while the agile lot will be determined to get shot of them immediately.

For context, this in bold is the equivalent of an anti-expansionist rugby league fan suddenly posting that Toronto is the best thing to happen to the game since 1895

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

44 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Slightly worrying news via Wikipedia.

Spanish Flu in 1918 lasted 2 YEARS

Swine Flu 2009 lasted 18 months.

Some fairly good news.

This is not a 1919 situation. If it were, we would have complete lock down and a vaccine would be a month or two away by now. These are different diseases.

I would expect this to be over by this time next year and the worst to be over in six months.

I do not have knowledge of the experts, but I do know more than most on Facebook.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

40 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

In Cambridge they are taking it more seriously than here in St Helens, that's for sure.  While traffic isn't anywhere near as frequent nearby as normal, there is still a fair bit of it around, and more people are walking about here than there.  Maybe part of the difference is that where I live they have only back yards at best (lots of flats too) and so going for a walk is the only way to get away from the four walls.  But I have seen groups of three and four walking around occasionally, which is disappointing.  Mostly males, I have to say.

Our town centre was dead before the virus hit so there won't be much change there!  

I loved living in Cambridge.  It's a beautiful city and that drone footage shows it off so well.

I would expect that St Helens has not been hit as much as Cambridge. Also, the international nature of Cambridge perhaps means there will be more people taking it seriously? Who knows.

I live in an flat next to local parks. I do not go into shops or near people, but I have been going to the park daily!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Just had a colleague leave the company today. Odd and sad, having to say goodbye to her in a Zoom meeting, but she has promised that, when this dies down enough, she'll visit us and drinks will be arranged. Many, many drinks.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

As i didnt play in it and it now didnt happen - does the double negative men i actually got player of the season ?

Basically, they've done the same for the entire season as they do for matches against teams who don't finish the season or for matches that are abandoned. They are 'expunged'. Officially, they did not take place.

So you are as much player of the season as anyone else. Well done.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Basically, they've done the same for the entire season as they do for matches against teams who don't finish the season or for matches that are abandoned. They are 'expunged'. Officially, they did not take place.

So you are as much player of the season as anyone else. Well done.

How very... politically correct... a medal for everyone for just participating. ?

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Just had a colleague leave the company today. Odd and sad, having to say goodbye to her in a Zoom meeting, but she has promised that, when this dies down enough, she'll visit us and drinks will be arranged. Many, many drinks.

We are having a drink or two over Microsoft Teams tomorrow afternoon for a colleague leaving us.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We are having a drink or two over Microsoft Teams tomorrow afternoon for a colleague leaving us.

One of the directors has suggested a 4:30pm virtual drinks meeting every Friday. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bit more common sense from govt

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-changes-to-dbs-id-checking-guidelines

Due to current measures that have been put in place as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, we’re aware that organisations are having difficulty following the DBS ID checking guidance.

Currently, when validating ID documents, it is best practice to carry the examination out face-to-face with a live video link as an alternative method. Under the current guidance, the ID checker must be in physical possession of the original documents so they can be checked for indicators of fraud.

As the public is being advised to work from home where possible, this is causing difficulties in receiving the physical documents and is delaying applications, and in some cases, preventing applications from being submitted.

To ensure that the necessary DBS checks can still be carried out, the DBS ID checking guidance will be changed for a temporary period.

The change will enable:

• ID documents to be viewed over video link
  • scanned images to be used in advance of the DBS check being submitted

Its great to see the DPP taking a tough stance on people purposely coughing or spitting on key workers (hopefully this applies to anyone too):

Anyone who coughs on key workers as a threat amid the coronavirus crisis will face serious criminal charges.

The warning from the Director of Public Prosecutions for England and Wales comes after reports of essential workers being coughed at by people claiming they have the virus.

Max Hill QC said he was "appalled" by the incidents and the full force of the law would be used.

Two men in England have already been convicted - one of them jailed.

Coughs or spits directed at key workers - or threats to do so - can be considered crimes if they were meant to harm or cause fear, with criminals charged with common assault.

In England and Wales, common assault can lead to six months in prison - and attacks against emergency workers going about their duties carry a maximum sentence of two years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52052880

Meanwhile in the US - money, evangelism and racism take precedence over sense

Trump wants people back to work asap as record number signing on for Unemployment - https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-scrambles-to-develop-plan-to-speed-americans-return-to-work-11585171430

Liberty University planning on reopening after springbreak as usual - https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2020/03/24/coronavirus-liberty-university-reopening-jerry-falwell-jr-donald-trump/2911751001/

and someone wanted to blow up a hospital treating covid-19 patients as it was mainly non whites in it - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52045958

56 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Workington Reds 10 points clear in North Prem NW league ...☹️

Hastings clear in their division with games in hand, having played all the top of the table teams.

I am staying away from their Facebook page.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Hastings clear in their division with games in hand, having played all the top of the table teams.

I am staying away from their Facebook page.

sorry to go cross code - but imagine the union boards/pages if Leeds/Yorkshire and Saracens were to stay up for the same reason

9 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

sorry to go cross code - but imagine the union boards/pages if Leeds/Yorkshire and Saracens were to stay up for the same reason

I don’t know what they did with the leagues that have finished TBH

Archived