3 hours ago, Trojan said:

I just wonder if shutting everything down is the correct response. At the beginning of WWII the government shut down sport. theatres, the cinema, and then realised it was doing more harm than good. And the "it'll last twelve weeks" statement.  What is this based on?  Again at the start of WWI and WWII the belief was "it'll be over by Christmas"    It wasn't.  The flu epidemic immediately post WWI killed more people than the war, possibly partly because they were so worn down by the privations of the war.  I just think we should be asking these questions that's all.  

where did you get the last 12 weeks statement from...

If referring to Press Conf with Boris J it was absolutely clear what he said and it was not what your comment says. So I am assuming you have some other statement or is it miss-reporting of a specific comment from the PM/Boris...

No problem asking questions or debating but of so lets be more precise and specific if referring to whom said what or some statement...

2 minutes ago, redjonn said:

where did you get the last 12 weeks statement from...

If referring to Press Conf with Boris J it was absolutely clear what he said and it was not what your comment says. So I am assuming you have some other statement or is it miss-reporting of a specific comment from the PM/Boris...

No problem asking questions or debating but of so lets be more precise and specific if referring to whom said what or some statement...

In yesterday's press conference, or it may have been the day before, Johnson said he believed we could 'turn the tide' against the virus in 12 weeks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8131701/Boris-Johnson-says-Britain-turn-tide-coronavirus-12-weeks.html

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Its hardly armageddon in Italy. They have 886 cases per 1,000,000 of their population. It's important to keep some perspective in, as you say, very sobering situations. You don't have to do all you humanly can to help yourself (& everyone else I might add) you must follow current government advice and guidance as closely as possible. 

Well that's the confirmed figure from tests. As they have lost control and have had to impose a lockdown its fair to say the true figure is far higher.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Les Tonks,

I would hazard a guess that a full lockdown will come next week due to the numbskulls who are ignoring the requests and putting everybody in danger.I believe next week the Government are bring forward legislation to enable them to do whatever they think is appropriate to stop these idiots. Apparently the governments proposals are to be nodded through rather than having M.Ps queueing in the lobbies to register their votes as it would clearly be passed anyway. The sooner the better and then the pubs who have ignored last nights orders will have their licences revoked.

yes, I expect full lock down... I'm guessing the government via the SAGE/CMO/CSO plan has a clear date ready to do so. A date as to when they think maximum shut down is needed, the scenes on TV which show some people ignoring helps nations acceptance of harsh measures that come in... similar to the pub, etc shutdown, first step strong advise but when plan and model showed next step needed shut down of Pubs came.

Just now, gingerjon said:

In yesterday's press conference, or it may have been the day before, Johnson said he believed we could 'turn the tide' against the virus in 12 weeks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8131701/Boris-Johnson-says-Britain-turn-tide-coronavirus-12-weeks.html

Turning the tide and 'it'll last 12 weeks' are entirely different statements, and very clearly different statements.  Everyone understands what turning the tide means.  He also gave a hefty caveat: that we all had to do our bit and act on the advice and direction given.  He was very, very clear and at no time did he event hint that we'd be all done and dusted in 12 weeks.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well that's the confirmed figure from tests. As they have lost control and have had to impose a lockdown its fair to say the true figure is far higher.

Of course. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

yep exactly turn the tide as distinct from the comment And the "it'll last twelve weeks" statement... that was my point their is a difference.

Seen a couple of posts around here, commenting how busy Malham was. Problem is to some extent, the idea is to go and get fresh air and away from people as everything is closed. Problem is, everyone who doesn't know better picks the popular tourist locations. I could go for a fantastic walk for a full day from my doorstep on the height of summer, and still barely see a soul. 

Whilst social distancing is required, problem is there isn't enough imagination how, or where to do it. I hope that doesn't spoil things for those that us who can get out without running into others. 

Edited by gazza77
  • Like 3

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 minute ago, gazza77 said:

Seen a couple of posts around here, commenting how busy Malham was. Problem is to some extent, the idea is to go and get fresh air and away from people as everything is closed. Problem is, everyone who doesn't know better picks the popular tourist locations. I could go for a fantastic walk for a full day from my doorstep on the height of summer, and still barely see a soul. 

Whilst social distancing is required, problem is there isn't enough imagination how, or where to do it. I hope that doesn't spoil things for those that us who can get out without running into others. 

we are staying at home as we are in the high risk. Never-the-less live in the country and our lanes/roads near by are always empty apart from odd car or dog walkers.

So we went out for a walk to exercise as normally no people or at most an odd person to bump into... Chuckle was when we turned a bend and a family was walking towards us on same side of road, all be it a bit of a distance away but the gap closing rapidly...

Whats the protocol for a sudden Usain Bolt gold medal winning dash to other side of lane/road to ensure maximum distance without offending...

4 minutes ago, redjonn said:

we are staying at home as we are in the high risk. Never-the-less live in the country and our lanes/roads near by are always empty apart from odd car or dog walkers.

So we went out for a walk to exercise as normally no people or at most an odd person to bump into... Chuckle was when we turned a bend and a family was walking towards us on same side of road, all be it a bit of a distance away but the gap closing rapidly...

Whats the protocol for a sudden Usain Bolt gold medal winning dash to other side of lane/road to ensure maximum distance without offending...

I've just seen a Facebook post from a former neighbour. He mentioned that everyone suddenly seems head down, ignore everyone. No need not to smile and greet people from a distance. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

56 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

There is nothing in the guidance about getting off the streets.......

The closest it comes to is under point 4. Avoid large and small gatherings in public spaces. To be fair, people are not typically on a street with the intention of gathering into a large or small group, normal use of a street would be to go somewhere with a valid reason? Home? Work (If can't work from home) shop for essentials? Bank? Pharmacy? 

Yes. Once again, the written guidance on the NHS and Gov websites do not really get across the severity of this. It really should say in red, stay in your house! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Its unbelievable that the Police haven't been given powers to take action.

Can somebody tell me -  have we still got a Home Secretary ? I know we used to have one because she got to become Prime Minster. Did we bother replacing her ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I am working at the NHS now and we have a lot of staff self isolating.

As a result I am doing a far wider range of duties than I ever expected. I was Triaging last week which I've never done before. 

It's only a small role in the wide context but I am pleased to help in a small way. 

Like others, I get frustrated when I see the shelves empty after work so I am pleased about the NHS shopping hour some stores are doing. 

• Like 2

It seems pretty clear that Great Britain has dropped the ball on this situation...you guys are late off the mark.

49 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I've just seen a Facebook post from a former neighbour. He mentioned that everyone suddenly seems head down, ignore everyone. No need not to smile and greet people from a distance. 

yep...

just to reassure we all said hello, and remarks to keeping distance... and all had a big smile...

even the lone cyclist pedaling past got a friendly wave...bearing in mind that of a weekend we gets tons of cyclist riding multiple abreast on narrow roads making it impossible to pass in a car... practicing their Tour de France team riding...

• Like 1

How are people on here finding it personally? 

Other than very surreal times, I'm actually in a mixed, but generally good point. Being a NHS employee, I'm in a secure role, with good pay, but may end up doing tasks way outside my remit. I'm good with that, and will help where I can. Downside is I've lost over £1k in Airbnb bookings in the last 3 days, and expect more to come. 

My biggest concern is risk to family. My Dad hits about 3 or 4 out the 10 or so high risk groups. My in-laws hit a couple. I know full well that individuals will start to see loved ones pass away, and I'm scared I may be one of them. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

That's a lovely photo. You must be a very proud grandad.

If she has an EHCP then she should still be able to attend school if that is the best for her? That was one of the commitments made.

They are fully equipped at home to cope with her physical needs, they have a wet room. they have a hoist and a lift, but she really benefits from the school.  How vulnerable she would be to corona virus I'm not able to say.  But I thought it was us old buggers who were likely to catch it.  If we're willing to take the chance, why not let us?  Nothing turns you into being a lonely old ###### more than being a lonely old ######.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

8 minutes ago, Trojan said:

They are fully equipped at home to cope with her physical needs, they have a wet room. they have a hoist and a lift, but she really benefits from the school.  How vulnerable she would be to corona virus I'm not able to say.  But I thought it was us old buggers who were likely to catch it.  If we're willing to take the chance, why not let us?  Nothing turns you into being a lonely old ###### more than being a lonely old ######.

Those most at risk are those with underlying medical conditions. Respiratory conditions are amongst those most at risk. 

The older amongst us are statistically most likely to suffer such conditions, such as COPD, but they're far from being the only ones. 

70+ I not a hard and fast deadline, but in such circumstances, black & white is far easier to explain. 

Latest info:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/major-new-measures-to-protect-people-at-highest-risk-from-coronavirus

Edited by gazza77
Updated news

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

And what about the people that have to look after the children? What about their family and their children that may have health conditions? What about the families of other children? It is far from as simplistic as you are making out and schools are really struggling with this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

And what about the people that have to look after the children? What about their family and their children that may have health conditions? What about the families of other children? It is far from as simplistic as you are making out and schools are really struggling with this. 

The schools cannot be opened until the outbreak is over for at least two weeks or else this is all for naught..

21 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Other than very surreal times, I'm actually in a mixed, but generally good point. Being a NHS employee, I'm in a secure role, with good pay, but may end up doing tasks way outside my remit. I'm good with that, and will help where I can. Downside is I've lost over £1k in Airbnb bookings in the last 3 days, and expect more to come. 

My biggest concern is risk to family. My Dad hits about 3 or 4 out the 10 or so high risk groups. My in-laws hit a couple. I know full well that individuals will start to see loved ones pass away, and I'm scared I may be one of them. 

just trying to keep positive but it impacts all our close family one way or another..

at the risk of boring you a quick snippet but we all positive at the moment as we know their are people worst off then us..  It at least gives the cross sectional impact to one small group.

Elder Daughter has just temporary (hope)shut her small business, informing her regular customers today... She has been worrying about her staff all week but the aid package helps there. Although not herself as she is classed as self employed.

Youngest daughters partner as in Son-in-law has own business and again similar issue but for him at moment its lower amount of business but will have to layoff staff.

Son's wife as in daughter in law is pregnant and hence is worrying. My son is able to work from home so that helps but are staying at home because of risk.

Youngest daughter works in finance department for a Super Market Group and is able to work from home... She is working overtime to keep on top of things as she is redeployed  to other tasks as well to keep things afloat....

They are all worrying about us two as in Dad and Mum.. as we are in high risk group, especial wife who recently had a cardiac arrest... and spent weeks in ICU and then few weeks in Hospital... All fine but a worry and ignoring my own stroke from other year... we have children and neighbours plus local stores in nearest town and local pub doing deliveries of goods/ ready meals all eager to help as and when.

So lots of community positives coming through.. if we keep the news channels off.

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

I've had to adjust to the fact that I'm in the extra-isolated category until this gets done. I got nominated as the "fixer" for our area and that means I cannot afford to get ill because they're relying on me to have access to everyone if there's a problem. The little spider in the middle of the web paying attention for twitches that need my attention and planning so that they don't need attention in the first place. This could be a long, long time at home with only occasional runs out to the supermarket for food.

It has its benefits as that means I'm far less likely to infect the wife. She currently doesn't trigger any of the warning groups but her previous double-pneumonia means if she gets it then it's probably going to be a bad one, still young enough that she should batter through it but that's not exactly comforting.

So, that's the pair of us in the house until restrictions are lifted. Good and bad.

I find it hard that I'm directing people two counties away into roles where they are at genuine risk, we're creating "hot hubs" where potential carriers or infected folk will be sent if they need face-to-face appointments for anything. Remember, patients still have to be treated for everything else. Until now, I'd be in there showing that I'll do what I ask them to do (or at least front up with them and let them do the clinical work!)

Even in the army, I came out at Bdr rank (artillery equivalent of Corporal) so I've never had to send people into direct risk without me being there as well. I don't like it, but it has to be done. Now all they get from me is a videoconference view of me in my home office.

My pay isn't a problem. I'm employed at 4 days a week but now doing 6 (5-7 depending on the week) and I'm not too fussed if they get around to moving it to full-time pay given the chaos everyone else is under. A secure income is good enough.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

skft-452c3752eb8536069c6df6cba7444bf1.jp

• Haha 7

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just read on Facebook that the virus dies if it is exposed to temperatures of 85c or more.

So I have just had my first cup of tea in about 5 years.  Hoping that cuppa will now keep me safe for the next 5 years.

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Haha 1