coronavirus

56 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

There is nothing in the guidance about getting off the streets.......

The closest it comes to is under point 4. Avoid large and small gatherings in public spaces. To be fair, people are not typically on a street with the intention of gathering into a large or small group, normal use of a street would be to go somewhere with a valid reason? Home? Work (If can't work from home) shop for essentials? Bank? Pharmacy? 

Yes. Once again, the written guidance on the NHS and Gov websites do not really get across the severity of this. It really should say in red, stay in your house! 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am working at the NHS now and we have a lot of staff self isolating.

As a result I am doing a far wider range of duties than I ever expected. I was Triaging last week which I've never done before. 

It's only a small role in the wide context but I am pleased to help in a small way. 

Like others, I get frustrated when I see the shelves empty after work so I am pleased about the NHS shopping hour some stores are doing. 

49 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I've just seen a Facebook post from a former neighbour. He mentioned that everyone suddenly seems head down, ignore everyone. No need not to smile and greet people from a distance. 

yep...

just to reassure we all said hello, and remarks to keeping distance... and all had a big smile...

even the lone cyclist pedaling past got a friendly wave...bearing in mind that of a weekend we gets tons of cyclist riding multiple abreast on narrow roads making it impossible to pass in a car... practicing their Tour de France team riding...

How are people on here finding it personally? 

Other than very surreal times, I'm actually in a mixed, but generally good point. Being a NHS employee, I'm in a secure role, with good pay, but may end up doing tasks way outside my remit. I'm good with that, and will help where I can. Downside is I've lost over £1k in Airbnb bookings in the last 3 days, and expect more to come. 

My biggest concern is risk to family. My Dad hits about 3 or 4 out the 10 or so high risk groups. My in-laws hit a couple. I know full well that individuals will start to see loved ones pass away, and I'm scared I may be one of them. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

That's a lovely photo. You must be a very proud grandad.

If she has an EHCP then she should still be able to attend school if that is the best for her? That was one of the commitments made.

They are fully equipped at home to cope with her physical needs, they have a wet room. they have a hoist and a lift, but she really benefits from the school.  How vulnerable she would be to corona virus I'm not able to say.  But I thought it was us old buggers who were likely to catch it.  If we're willing to take the chance, why not let us?  Nothing turns you into being a lonely old ###### more than being a lonely old ######.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

8 minutes ago, Trojan said:

They are fully equipped at home to cope with her physical needs, they have a wet room. they have a hoist and a lift, but she really benefits from the school.  How vulnerable she would be to corona virus I'm not able to say.  But I thought it was us old buggers who were likely to catch it.  If we're willing to take the chance, why not let us?  Nothing turns you into being a lonely old ###### more than being a lonely old ######.

Those most at risk are those with underlying medical conditions. Respiratory conditions are amongst those most at risk. 

The older amongst us are statistically most likely to suffer such conditions, such as COPD, but they're far from being the only ones. 

70+ I not a hard and fast deadline, but in such circumstances, black & white is far easier to explain. 

Latest info:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/major-new-measures-to-protect-people-at-highest-risk-from-coronavirus

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

And what about the people that have to look after the children? What about their family and their children that may have health conditions? What about the families of other children? It is far from as simplistic as you are making out and schools are really struggling with this. 

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

And what about the people that have to look after the children? What about their family and their children that may have health conditions? What about the families of other children? It is far from as simplistic as you are making out and schools are really struggling with this. 

The schools cannot be opened until the outbreak is over for at least two weeks or else this is all for naught..

21 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Other than very surreal times, I'm actually in a mixed, but generally good point. Being a NHS employee, I'm in a secure role, with good pay, but may end up doing tasks way outside my remit. I'm good with that, and will help where I can. Downside is I've lost over £1k in Airbnb bookings in the last 3 days, and expect more to come. 

My biggest concern is risk to family. My Dad hits about 3 or 4 out the 10 or so high risk groups. My in-laws hit a couple. I know full well that individuals will start to see loved ones pass away, and I'm scared I may be one of them. 

just trying to keep positive but it impacts all our close family one way or another..

at the risk of boring you a quick snippet but we all positive at the moment as we know their are people worst off then us..  It at least gives the cross sectional impact to one small group.

Elder Daughter has just temporary (hope)shut her small business, informing her regular customers today... She has been worrying about her staff all week but the aid package helps there. Although not herself as she is classed as self employed.

Youngest daughters partner as in Son-in-law has own business and again similar issue but for him at moment its lower amount of business but will have to layoff staff.

Son's wife as in daughter in law is pregnant and hence is worrying. My son is able to work from home so that helps but are staying at home because of risk.

Youngest daughter works in finance department for a Super Market Group and is able to work from home... She is working overtime to keep on top of things as she is redeployed  to other tasks as well to keep things afloat....

They are all worrying about us two as in Dad and Mum.. as we are in high risk group, especial wife who recently had a cardiac arrest... and spent weeks in ICU and then few weeks in Hospital... All fine but a worry and ignoring my own stroke from other year... we have children and neighbours plus local stores in nearest town and local pub doing deliveries of goods/ ready meals all eager to help as and when.

So lots of community positives coming through.. if we keep the news channels off.

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

I've had to adjust to the fact that I'm in the extra-isolated category until this gets done. I got nominated as the "fixer" for our area and that means I cannot afford to get ill because they're relying on me to have access to everyone if there's a problem. The little spider in the middle of the web paying attention for twitches that need my attention and planning so that they don't need attention in the first place. This could be a long, long time at home with only occasional runs out to the supermarket for food.

It has its benefits as that means I'm far less likely to infect the wife. She currently doesn't trigger any of the warning groups but her previous double-pneumonia means if she gets it then it's probably going to be a bad one, still young enough that she should batter through it but that's not exactly comforting.

So, that's the pair of us in the house until restrictions are lifted. Good and bad.

I find it hard that I'm directing people two counties away into roles where they are at genuine risk, we're creating "hot hubs" where potential carriers or infected folk will be sent if they need face-to-face appointments for anything. Remember, patients still have to be treated for everything else. Until now, I'd be in there showing that I'll do what I ask them to do (or at least front up with them and let them do the clinical work!)

Even in the army, I came out at Bdr rank (artillery equivalent of Corporal) so I've never had to send people into direct risk without me being there as well. I don't like it, but it has to be done. Now all they get from me is a videoconference view of me in my home office.

My pay isn't a problem. I'm employed at 4 days a week but now doing 6 (5-7 depending on the week) and I'm not too fussed if they get around to moving it to full-time pay given the chaos everyone else is under. A secure income is good enough.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 hours ago, Kayakman said:

It seems pretty clear that Great Britain has dropped the ball on this situation...you guys are late off the mark.

You do not know what you are writing about. Thank you for your "expertise" though.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Ok, so where are we (you) at the moment?

5018 confirmed cases, rising exponentially 

233 deaths

The plan to suck it and see and hope for herd immunity was rightly abandoned. 

Self-isolation and social distancing measures have rightly been increased. Probably with more to follow. 

This seems unsustainable for the time period required. 

It has been suggested that the reins will be loosened and tightened as required to manage icu capacity. The timescale of this looks similar to waiting for a vaccine. 1-2 years?

I was pondering what else could be done.

Would it be possible to run a controlled infection programme alongside the current measures in order to seek that herd immunity? 

Start small and develop it, if it works. Use volunteers who have been screened by doctors for known risk factors. 

Use somewhere which can be self-contained and isolated such as a military barracks or holiday camp. 

Keep the subjects there for 2-3 weeks or until they recover from a confirmed case. With prepations to abandon if it goes wrong. Also include volunteers who have already recovered, to see the effect on them. Use it also as a live lab to further understand the nature of the virus. 

Herd immunity, it's said, would need 60% population, so about 40 million in the UK. 

I'm not sure what the nation's capacity is for suitable locations, but if the camps were used on a rolling basis is this possible in a reasonable timescale? 

Would this speed up a return to normal? 

9 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Ok, so where are we (you) at the moment?

5018 confirmed cases, rising exponentially 

233 deaths

The plan to suck it and see and hope for herd immunity was rightly abandoned. 

Self-isolation and social distancing measures have rightly been increased. Probably with more to follow. 

This seems unsustainable for the time period required. 

It has been suggested that the reins will be loosened and tightened as required to manage icu capacity. The timescale of this looks similar to waiting for a vaccine. 1-2 years?

I was pondering what else could be done.

Would it be possible to run a controlled infection programme alongside the current measures in order to seek that herd immunity? 

Start small and develop it, if it works. Use volunteers who have been screened by doctors for known risk factors. 

Use somewhere which can be self-contained and isolated such as a military barracks or holiday camp. 

Keep the subjects there for 2-3 weeks or until they recover from a confirmed case. With prepations to abandon if it goes wrong. Also include volunteers who have already recovered, to see the effect on them. Use it also as a live lab to further understand the nature of the virus. 

Herd immunity, it's said, would need 60% population, so about 40 million in the UK. 

I'm not sure what the nation's capacity is for suitable locations, but if the camps were used on a rolling basis is this possible in a reasonable timescale? 

Would this speed up a return to normal? 

You really used too many words on him. He has already shared his intellect.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

After a local student tested positive, government schools in Canberra are going pupil free from Tuesday until the upcoming school holidays. During that time teachers will work on online learning strategies.

I think this counts as "bad publicity". Although I have sympathies with anyone in retail trying to survive in what was already a terrible environment you have to take some steps to protect your employees and customers - at the very least appreciate you'll need them later on.

14 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Many are still open.

Perhaps I was unfair on him. Perhaps he has worked on an implementation strategy and can show you how he is assessing the well thought out risks on both sides. Otherwise, he is a knob.

22 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Many are still open.

As far as I can tell, pretty much every school is going to open in some capacity. Each with a slightly different interpretation of what they are doing and why.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Damien said:

I'm not advocating anything, just showing the other side of the coin.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

As far as I can tell, pretty much every school is going to open in some capacity. Each with a slightly different interpretation of what they are doing and why.

Not sure what situation is in England. In our borough only 5 schools including mine will be open for key workers children, spread out across the borough. Some boroughs all the schools are closed totally, Swansea has loads open for kw children. 

Archived