1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Exactly, nobody wants this do they.

It's odd. I have never witnessed as negative a signing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Exactly, nobody wants this do they.

Well Catalans seem to!...I guess you folks don't have alot of born again Christians or other weird religious sects over there.

What Wigan has done is in poor taste...in situations like this it is best to take the higher road.

Better to be classy than trashy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

It's odd. I have never witnessed as negative a signing. 

Totally agree. Its like the RU player who signed for London Irish with the rape trial hanging over his head, people just don't want the association

6 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Union can't find sponsors now they couldn't afford to lose Qantas 

Qantas is a publically listed company providing excellent flight services 

Its CEO personal views have no relevance to the company 

He should worry about hedging his oil and currency exposure and let the aru decide how to run it's business 

The qantas ceo is running qantas. Qantas has core business values that they want to align with. This is very common across the corporate world.  Qantas should not have to change or overlook their entire corporate values because a high profile rugby union player wearing their brand name wants to spout hateful rhetoric.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

And nor was Israel Folau. He said that's where he believed they went (and, by extension of my personal misdemeanours, I'd be going with them).

Gonna be bloody packed in there, I’m a knocking bet for it too. 

• Like 2

Israel Folau has not encouraged violence against homosexuals. He has said he believes they are condemned in the afterlife. If you disagree with his theology you will think that isn't going to happen so no big deal. It would be different if he was calling for the public execution of homosexuals.

• Like 1

Brilliant! The new season is upon us, the media is actually doing a decent job of promoting SL, there's real interest in Wolfpack, SBW, great publicity, so much to look forward to, THEN BANG! TGG shoots itself in the foot again. Oh well, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This just doesn't feel like something we should be getting our hands grubby over.

It’s the literally the only publicity we’ve had before the season starts.   No one was interested until today.

The cynic in me suggests it wasn’t a coincidence to announce it 2 days before the season kicks off 😁

Edited by Cheshire Setter

Totally agree. Its like the RU player who signed for London Irish with the rape trial hanging over his head, people just don't want the association

However, couldn’t you make an argument for supporting players until they are found to be guilty of something, rather than ostracising them based on accusations? 

Just now, Kayakman said:

Well Catalans seem to!...I guess you folks don't have alot of born again Christians or other weird religious sects over there.

What Wigan has done is in poor taste...in situations like this it is best to take the higher road.

Better to be classy than trashy.

Its south west of France only Catholics, Cathars and Huguenots.

I think Wigan have realised the game needs some good PR in relation to this and this is the best we can do. Their  former women's team captain is gay (just left for St Helens to play with her partner).

Taking a stand has no shame in it

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Wigan have taken the higher road.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Its south west of France only Catholics, Cathars and Huguenots.

I think Wigan have realised the game needs some good PR in relation to this and this is the best we can do. Their  former women's team captain is gay (just left for St Helens to play with her partner).

Taking a stand has no shame in it

It will come off as being done in poor taste...could even make a hero out of him to the religous right if he handles all the taunts etc. with dignity.

Its a mistake.

1 minute ago, eal said:

Israel Folau has not encouraged violence against homosexuals. He has said he believes they are condemned in the afterlife. If you disagree with his theology you will think that isn't going to happen so no big deal. It would be different if he was calling for the public execution of homosexuals.

Exactly this. This all day.

Is Folau out-of-his-crust and lacking reason... yes. Very yes. Has he incited hatred... no.

That's why when the ARU went weapons-grade virtue signalling he got a payout.

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

However, couldn’t you make an argument for supporting players until they are found to be guilty of something, rather than ostracising them based on accusations? 

There's a good thread on the CCF on this where I talked about this, I suspect we agree on this too, but don't really want to bring it to derail this thread

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

No...Wigan has taken the easy path.   We all know the poem by Frost

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

It will come off as being done in poor taste...could even make a hero out of him to the religous right if he handles all the taunts etc. with dignity.

Its a mistake.

He already is a hero to the religious right, if they want to be morons then let them be. He won't get taunts, he'll most likely be shamed however. 

5 hours ago, ckn said:

I wonder how they're fitting that into their salary cap. That's a lot of "marquee" players...

Wouldn't Folau qualify under the same exemption for rugby union "converts" that allowed Toronto to sign SBW for such a huge salary?

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

No mention of Ian Lenagan signing a goalkeeper,who had been jailed for killing a person when driving a motor vehicle while having too much alcohol in his system?

Tad more serious than words on social media.

I don't think supporters of his football club,Oxford,I think,made as much drama out of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Its a mistake.

Look, if you're uncomfortable with standing up to homophobia, just say.

It's going to be fabulous.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I think there is certainly a case for existing employers supporting people, but I think London Irish (IIRC) signed him after he had been found not guilty, but an awful lot of unsavoury behaviour came out in the case, meaning it was his behaviour rather than the rape allegation that was criticised. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He already is a hero to the religious right, if they want to be morons then let them be. He won't get taunts, he'll most likely be shamed however. 

A public shaming...I thought we had left the Dark Ages a long time ago...its in poor taste.

This isn't Game of Thrones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angelic Cynic said:

No mention of Ian Lenagan signing a goalkeeper,who had been jailed for killing a person when driving a motor vehicle while having too much alcohol in his system?

Tad more serious than words on social media.

I don't think supporters of his football club,Oxford,I think,made as much drama out of it.

Indeed , sticks and stones comes to mind in all this 

Just now, Angelic Cynic said:

I didn't mention it because I wasn't aware I was on a football messageboard. But, from memory, I did condemn the leniency of his sentence and the lack of remorse he apparently showed. I had no idea what happened to him after that but if he was playing for any club I followed or for any sport I had a close interest in then, yes, I would make my opinion known.

• Like 1