Jump to content

Israel Folau


fevnut

Recommended Posts

So is it using his faith that is the problem here? - there are plenty of blokes playing top class rugby league gone beyond "belittling, intimidating . . . . . . anyone else"  to actually commit violent crimes against others and they are still allowed to sign large contracts and play at the elite level.

I have difficulty not laughing at his comments -  first his belief in places heaven and hell when we all move on . . . . and then that the great Lord rejects those who like a bit of fun. My god if heaven is to be bereft of everyone on Folau's list there's not going to be many folks there to share it with and they are not the type of folks id want to be spending my after life with anyway.

All he has said is there are people whose behaviour he doesnt like and that unless they change their behaviour (repent!) then he believes  they  wont be joining him in the promised land once old father time arrives. I dont see where this incites violence. Bully for him - he is going to be very disappointed when the time comes..in my view.

And when is someone going to stand up for the fornicators and alcoholics of this world - we all seem to be getting upset about him saying gays cannot enter heaven but I dont believe alcoholism or adultry is a crime either. Where are the complaints against alchophobics and fornicophobics! They have rights and feelings too!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folau's genuine religious belief is gay people, adulterers, atheists, drunks etc will go to hell in the afterlife unless they repent and believe in god. In this life Folau means no harm to gay people and believes he is trying to help gay people, adulteres, atheists, drunks avoid forever after in hell. Folau mistake was not realising could be interpreted as harmful by others. Folau has committed no crime, and is definitely entitled to make a living from his god given / human made talents. Would a person who had hatred for gay people appear on the cover of a gay magazine promoting gay rugby. This whole thing is being used by the media as click bait.

 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We seem fixated only on Israel Folau's denunciation of homosexuals. But let us consider the entire gamut of offenders of fundamentalist Christianity whom he denounced:

Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. 

 

There's the entire adult population of Leeds, Hull, Huddersfield, Castleford, Wakefield, Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, and Salford,  right there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, SL17 said:

 Catalans are not welcome?  Has the team you support ever had a player who had his own agenda? 

Did they take drugs? Did they get arrested for domestic abuse?

He has an opinion of life. He is entitled to that. 
 

For Trinity... Yes and as far as I am aware they were all sacked... and rightly so.... and from Sharks viewpoint I cancelled my family membership when the Dank saga transpired. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

 Catalans are not welcome?  Has the team you support ever had a player who had his own agenda? 

Did they take drugs? Did they get arrested for domestic abuse?

He has an opinion of life. He is entitled to that. 
 

Lol you defending an expansion club when it suits you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

We seem fixated only on Israel Folau's denunciation of homosexuals. But let us consider the entire gamut of offenders of fundamentalist Christianity whom he denounced:

Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. 

 

There's the entire adult population of Leeds, Hull, Huddersfield, Castleford, Wakefield, Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, and Salford,  right there!

Thanks for excluding the good people of Rochdale, but they needn't worry about entering heaven, they are already there!  Its just trying to keep those from Oldham out that occupies our thinking.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Would a person who had hatred for gay people appear on the cover of a gay magazine promoting gay rugby.   

Obviously the answer is yes.

Because he did.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Thanks for excluding the good people of Rochdale, but they needn't worry about entering heaven, they are already there!  Its just trying to keep those from Oldham out that occupies our thinking.?

Interesting you should mention Rochdale given they've just signed someone who only last month was convicted of assaulting his girlfriend, punching her and forcing his hand down her throat.

Whilst deploring what Folau said, RLs moral compass is totally messed up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Moove said:

Interesting you should mention Rochdale given they've just signed someone who only last month was convicted of assaulting his girlfriend, punching her and forcing his hand down her throat.

Whilst deploring what Folau said, RLs moral compass is totally messed up.

yeh folau shouldve just bashed his missus and committed a crime.  people wouldve forgotten by now lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

yeh folau shouldve just bashed his missus and committed a crime.  people wouldve forgotten by now lol

I'm confused.

Do you want him here or not?

Because once you remembered that he'd shafted league in the past you seemed to be saying he was beyond the Pale. Now, you're on board because he's not a wife beater?

I mean, I admire the high standards you set but a little clarity would be good.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Moove said:

Interesting you should mention Rochdale given they've just signed someone who only last month was convicted of assaulting his girlfriend, punching her and forcing his hand down her throat.

Whilst deploring what Folau said, RLs moral compass is totally messed up.

You are right, of course, in that neither should have any place in the game unless and until they sort themselves out.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm confused.

Do you want him here or not?

Because once you remembered that he'd shafted league in the past you seemed to be saying he was beyond the Pale. Now, you're on board because he's not a wife beater?

I mean, I admire the high standards you set but a little clarity would be good.

i said it before you mustve missed it

im perfectly happy for folau to be banned from rugby league because of the way he treated the game when he left and was helping to undermine rugby league in sydney.  i dislike him intensely bc he thinks hes better than rugby league

but i wouldnt want him banned for his twitter posts bc he didnt actually really do anything unlike loads of current players who did and the game has taken them back.

banning folau for his own beliefs on twitter when wife bashers and drug takers are allowed in the game is very hypocritical.

also i suspect there are actual rugby league players who are genuine homophobes and not for religious reasons currently playing the game.

having said that im actually happy for super league theyve gotten a good player

but i feel he is using rugby league again to rehabilitate him as a rugby player and in a years time when the heat dies down he will take a better offer in french union.

i personally dislike folau intensely.  but hes a very very good player imo

and i never forget when a player ditches league lol.  i still dislike wendall sailor for example wish wed never taken him back.  id be perfectly happy once they leave to shut the door on them for good

rugby league isnt a doormat.  the game doesnt need these attention seeking drama queens.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ahh the French!  Despite all of the outrage in the UK and Australia, I guarantee 100% that no one in Perpignan gives a ###### about what Folau said or did.  I grew up with Francos, they tend not to give a ###### about this sort of stuff, it's a cultural thing.

Let's face it, Catalans have been near the cellar the past few seasons and need the firepower.  They probably even got a discount on account of Israel's "baggage".  Smart rugby move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/greater-western-sydneys-israel-folau-footys-new-8-million-man/news-story/98acb40c34a342b5e137f3a400f31647?sv=8d3ab2d441ba86c1ea628d87cfb3220

 

"Initially lambasted as little more than a marketing tool in the AFL's invasion of western Sydney, the national appeal of football has almost tripled Folau's advertising appeal from his days as a rugby league player."

"The AFL's marketing division is so calculating that when it came time to enter one of the GWS players in the Cleo Bachelor of the Year competition, the Giants told Folau he had to do it."

 

this is why i dislike Folau.  the AFL openly used him to push into rugby league heartland and he was more than happy to be their poster boy.  AFL saw him as bringing in all the polynesian players into their sport than rugby league.

folau is a mercenary whose only loyalty is to his hip pocket.  but hes a damned fine footballer

 

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/afl/israel-folau-kevin-sheedy-says-afl-should-target-tonga-if-rugby-league-blocks-move/ar-AAHOMfN

 

this shows how desperate AFL is to expand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Did he not also look the bushfires to being a punishment from God for these beliefs? 

Doesn't sound very tolerant here.. 

The most intolerant people on this planet are the vociferous so called "tolerant left".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

i said it before you mustve missed it

im perfectly happy for folau to be banned from rugby league because of the way he treated the game when he left and was helping to undermine rugby league in sydney.  i dislike him intensely bc he thinks hes better than rugby league

but i wouldnt want him banned for his twitter posts bc he didnt actually really do anything unlike loads of current players who did and the game has taken them back.

banning folau for his own beliefs on twitter when wife bashers and drug takers are allowed in the game is very hypocritical.

also i suspect there are actual rugby league players who are genuine homophobes and not for religious reasons currently playing the game.

having said that im actually happy for super league theyve gotten a good player

but i feel he is using rugby league again to rehabilitate him as a rugby player and in a years time when the heat dies down he will take a better offer in french union.

i personally dislike folau intensely.  but hes a very very good player imo

and i never forget when a player ditches league lol.  i still dislike wendall sailor for example wish wed never taken him back.  id be perfectly happy once they leave to shut the door on them for good

rugby league isnt a doormat.  the game doesnt need these attention seeking drama queens.

 

 

I agree with a lot that you say but I feel as a game we need to look at why we lose the stars from our game , is it money , lack of an international profile and international Rugby?; we need the stars in our game although not at any cost I must stress

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keegan Hirst on BBC breakfast this morning could do with finding a more prominent job in the games for him when he finishes. As for Folau it’s not so much what he said as everyone can make a mistake and get a second chance. The issue is he still doesn’t think he’s done anything wrong. People comparing it to drug cheats or wife beaters. If those drug cheats had said publicly that they are sorry for any upset but they are their own personal drugs and they will be using them in private would they still be getting signed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, iangidds said:

I agree with a lot that you say but I feel as a game we need to look at why we lose the stars from our game , is it money , lack of an international profile and international Rugby?; we need the stars in our game although not at any cost I must stress

money was the only reason

they can say they want to play a higher level of internationals but its always at higher money

with the nrl salary cap where it is keeping players except wingers isnt really a problem anymore

folau went to AFL on 2 million a year for example

the NRL salary cap is around 10 million.  if it were 15 or 20 million then not a single player would leave if they wanted to be retained.  by the next tv deal it should be around 15 million

in terms of losing players, its only wingers now the nrl loses and they are dime a dozen.

oh theres the nfl thing but that seems to be dieing out too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Keegan Hirst on BBC breakfast this morning could do with finding a more prominent job in the games for him when he finishes. As for Folau it’s not so much what he said as everyone can make a mistake and get a second chance. The issue is he still doesn’t think he’s done anything wrong. People comparing it to drug cheats or wife beaters. If those drug cheats had said publicly that they are sorry for any upset but they are their own personal drugs and they will be using them in private would they still be getting signed. 

ok do a lie detector test on every super league player and ask them if they think being gay is ok.

ban every single one who fails.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Ahh the French!  Despite all of the outrage in the UK and Australia, I guarantee 100% that no one in Perpignan gives a ###### about what Folau said or did.  I grew up with Francos, they tend not to give a ###### about this sort of stuff, it's a cultural thing.

Let's face it, Catalans have been near the cellar the past few seasons and need the firepower.  They probably even got a discount on account of Israel's "baggage".  Smart rugby move.

The first few comments under this article are rather scathing.. plenty more of that too..
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby-a-xiii/Actualites/Israel-folau-a-signe-chez-les-dragons-catalans/1103493

“Les Dragons catalans ont fait un choix. En conscience. Désormais j'en fais un aussi : je ne les soutiens plus et j'espère leur dégringolade. Ils choisissent un joueur infréquentable et insoutenable, qu'ils n'espèrent pas être soutenus.”

”À ce stade là tu ne peux pas compartimenter le privé et le pro. En le signant, ça revient à cautionner les déclarations publiques de ce garçon. Grossière erreur de la part des Dragons.”

“C’est une blague? On va laisser un homophobe notoire fouler nos pelouses? Vous avez perdu un spectateur chers Dragons, j'ai autre chose à faire que de regarder un extrémiste faire mumuse avec une baballe“

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...