Israel Folau

fevnut

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

It's not as black and white as that though is it.

Yes, he hasn't said gay people are bot welcome in RL but he has said they need to 'repent' in order to save their eternal souls.

The idea that gay people need to repent inherently shows that he (and all fundamental Christians plus other religions) believe that being gay is wrong and being gay is wrong and unnatural. 

It is these types of messages about homosexuality being wrong and unnatural, perpetuated by the influence of the church, which breeds intolerance and more dangerous homophobia. 

Folau may sincerely believe what he is saying is saving people's souls but the underlying message is that homosexuality is wrong and sinful which is not the message that a progressive and inclusive sport such as Rugby League should be associated with.

Rugby League should welcome all people and that includes fundamental Christians but that should not be a license for these people to then publicly label other parts of our community as sinful or unnatural. 

Folau has done this but not under the banner of Rugby League. 

I would prefer we didn't welcome him in but as he is here I hope he remains the hypocrite he has shown himself to be and keeps his mouth shut.

Totally agree. 

You know its bad when even the Pope thinks you're too conservative in your views.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RMBJ said:

Look at the demonisation of Jordan Peterson. He was smeared, misrepresented and no-platformed for having the 'audacity' to say the Left were getting out of control.

I think that is different though. I don't agree with Peterson's deplatforming at all. I'm all for free speech and discussion of ideas which some at universities are deeply wary of.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of judgement by others on that speech.

9 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

Personally, I think he's perfectly entitled to air any opinion he likes, and people are perfectly entitled to respond to those opinions appropriately. Employing him is not the correct response if you strongly disagree with those views.

I think this is very well put.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It's not as black and white as that though is it.

Yes, he hasn't said gay people are bot welcome in RL but he has said they need to 'repent' in order to save their eternal souls.

The idea that gay people need to repent inherently shows that he (and all fundamental Christians plus other religions) believe that being gay is wrong and being gay is wrong and unnatural. 

It is these types of messages about homosexuality being wrong and unnatural, perpetuated by the influence of the church, which breeds intolerance and more dangerous homophobia. 

Folau may sincerely believe what he is saying is saving people's souls but the underlying message is that homosexuality is wrong and sinful which is not the message that a progressive and inclusive sport such as Rugby League should be associated with.

Rugby League should welcome all people and that includes fundamental Christians but that should not be a license for these people to then publicly label other parts of our community as sinful or unnatural. 

Folau has done this but not under the banner of Rugby League. 

I would prefer we didn't welcome him in but as he is here I hope he remains the hypocrite he has shown himself to be and keeps his mouth shut.

He wants me to repent as well , along with the vast majority of the human population , he's a nutjob , so are we to banish all nutjobs from our sport ? , Not be enough to fill a squad at Toro to if we did 

6 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

Look at the demonisation of Jordan Peterson. He was smeared, misrepresented and no-platformed for having the 'audacity' to say the Left were getting out of control.

I love Jordan Peterson

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Great. What is the point?

Your club employed a player who smeared peanut butter on his todger and then filmed his dog licking it off , the point is there's all sorts of strange people out there with some very strange ideas about what's right or wrong , just where do you draw the line ? 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

He wants me to repent as well , along with the vast majority of the human population , he's a nutjob , so are we to banish all nutjobs from our sport ? , Not be enough to fill a squad at Toro to if we did 

We should banish all nutjobs who damage our sports/league/clubs reputations now and going forwards as that is detrimental.

Folau is the highest profile one to air how much of a nutjob he is!

2 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The Tonga team wowed the RL World Cup. Wonder if any of them hold fundamental Christian ideology?

Of course that seems a reasonable proposal. None of them have used their profile and platform to share and promote those views though have they?

8 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

That and being a plank.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Tommygilf said:

We should banish all nutjobs who damage our sports/league/clubs reputations now and going forwards as that is detrimental.

Yes , when he wasn't a RL player , and he has now stated he won't do it again , just what punishment do you think he deserves ?

This furore reminds me of the Ched Evans case. Everybody and his superficial auntie climbed on board the bus to denigrate him after a trial that had obviously delivered a dodgy verdict.

I didn't notice any clamour of apologies when his sentence was quashed.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fury has apologised, distanced himself from the comments, said he was wrong and attempted to make amends. Things that Folau crucially has not done.

Regardless, no rugby league club has signed Tyson Fury. One has signed Israel Folau

Since when do fake apologises make up for slagging off an entire group of people?  Whether you agree with his views of not, at least Folau is man enough to stand by what he says instead of bending down to the people who sit and wait on social media to be offended by something. 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Your club employed a player who smeared peanut butter on his todger and then filmed his dog licking it off , the point is there's all sorts of strange people out there with some very strange ideas about what's right or wrong , just where do you draw the line ? 

Was it a Cocker?

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Like Zac , like Bailey , like half the Aussies we employ ?

Anyway work to be done , I don't get paid for sitting at a desk posting on a RL forum all day 

Be back later with perhaps more than the 200 replies that were waiting yesterday 

Storm in a teacup comes to mind 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Yes , when he wasn't a RL player , and he has now stated he won't do it again , just what punishment do you think he deserves ?

I think should apologise and take back what he said, remove the social media posts and then find a job in Japanese RU or wherever. He'll be gone from our comp by the end of October to a payday in French or Japanese RU and we'll have been left with all the bad press and our reputation for being a friendly space tarnished.

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

There is a difference between beliefs and actions.

I work with a Christian who I occasionally discuss such theological matters with.

But he doesn't use his publically accessible, work related, social media profile to announce that all gays are going to help if they don't repent. Even though he believes it.

And I don't use my publically accessible, work related, social media profile to announce that all religious people are deluded. Although I believe that.

Folau has a history, after being warned, of not being sensible enough to keep his private beliefs private.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

How much of your own money would you be willing to gamble that Folau doesn't say something homophobic while employed by a RL club?

2 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Since when do fake apologises make up for slagging off an entire group of people?  Whether you agree with his views of not, at least Folau is man enough to stand by what he says instead of bending down to the people who sit and wait on social media to be offended by something. 

Fake apology or not, that is your opinion to have. All it reinforces to me is that Folau isn't very bright or savvy.

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Like Zac , like Bailey , like half the Aussies we employ ?

Anyway work to be done , I don't get paid for sitting at a desk posting on a RL forum all day 

Be back later with perhaps more than the 200 replies that were waiting yesterday 

Storm in a teacup comes to mind 

None had the profile to damage the game here in this way and you know it. Shouldn't have gone near him.

4 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

This furore reminds me of the Ched Evans case. Everybody and his superficial auntie climbed on board the bus to denigrate him after a trial that had obviously delivered a dodgy verdict.

I didn't notice any clamour of apologies when his sentence was quashed.

What a ridiculously thick-headed opinion.

Archived