Jump to content

Companies that were villains during the Coronavirus crisis


Recommended Posts

A local Dominoe's Pizza place is telling kids they must come into work even if someone in the household is showing symptoms.

Madness.

  • Sad 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I've seen a letter sent to subcontractors by a major main contractor construction firm threatening them with withholding of monies owed and also the imposing of penalty clauses and potential legal action if they either withdraw their labour off sites and/or do not keep to the programmed schedule.

  • Sad 2

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/03/2020 at 21:39, LeeF said:

Sports Direct - their idiotic stance & comments about being an essential business showed Ashley for what he is (again unable to use the correct words on this forum)

Mike Ashley again, Newcastle United have taken the quarterly portion of the season ticket payments from their supporters £635

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Banks for demanding personal guarantees for emergency loans, HSBC and Barclays being examples. When the government are guaranteeing 80%,of the loan they are clearly a bunch of thieves, particularly when they are offering eye watering interest rates of 22%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

Banks for demanding personal guarantees for emergency loans, HSBC and Barclays being examples. When the government are guaranteeing 80%,of the loan they are clearly a bunch of thieves, particularly when they are offering eye watering interest rates of 22%.

Where have you seen those interest rates?

The scheme is set at much lower rates so they must be for something else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In many ways, the high profile villains are, to state the obvious, easy to spot.

I suspect that there may be some lower profile ones too.  I pay a set amount each month for a dental plan.  Today, the dentist phoned to say that my next routine check up has been postponed for the time being.  I understand; I don't have a problem with that.

I had to phone my home care scheme at the weekend as I had a slight leak in a tap on the outside wall of the house (so costing me a bit in water and wasting water too)  When I honestly described the problem, I was told that, because of the current situation, nobody could attend; it wasn't a major emergency, they said, which is true.  I also took the chance to double check on my annual gas boiler service; no, sorry, they were in abeyance too.  Again, I have no problem with any of this.

However, when it comes to next month's regular payment, how much will each of these contractors expect?

Serious answers only, please...!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

If you read the article the facility he was offered was not one of the CBILS

The scheme is very strictly controlled and rates should be nowhere near 22%

It's clearly not strictly controlled is it, otherwise he would have been offered CBILS in the first place.

Nothing like an apologist for an effing scandal. I suppose you approve of how RBS behaved 4 years ago. FFS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ackroman said:

It's clearly not strictly controlled is it, otherwise he would have been offered CBILS in the first place.

Nothing like an apologist for an effing scandal. I suppose you approve of how RBS behaved 4 years ago. FFS. 

It is very strictly controlled. If you think otherwise you are mistaken

The CBILS was only launched this week so that might be your answer. Whatever the reason he hasn’t been offered a CBILS at 22%

I’m not an apologist and have never approved of RBS but I do tend to work with facts rather than misreading and twisting erroneous media articles

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

It is very strictly controlled. If you think otherwise you are mistaken

The CBILS was only launched this week so that might be your answer. Whatever the reason he hasn’t been offered a CBILS at 22%

I’m not an apologist and have never approved of RBS but I do tend to work with facts rather than misreading and twisting erroneous media articles

 

Don't patronise me. Theres plenty of politicians decrying the fact banks are demanding personal guarantees to get access to cash. I don't see what's erroneous, its banks being banks. If they can get a desperate customer to pay 22% on a loan rather than do the right thing, they will, FACT. There's a long history of abuse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ackroman said:

Don't patronise me. Theres plenty of politicians decrying the fact banks are demanding personal guarantees to get access to cash. I don't see what's erroneous, its banks being banks. If they can get a desperate customer to pay 22% on a loan rather than do the right thing, they will, FACT. There's a long history of abuse.

Don't make stupid comments & accusations if you don't want to be patronised 

All you are doing is showing your complete ignorance FACT

And FYI blocked 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sykes Cottages.. I have ten people booked into a cottage in the lakes for four nights in April. 

Well by the UK lockdown this is now against the rules. 

Only offering no fee to rebook later in the year but they seem to have pushed their prices up. 

Plus travelling from Holland we are unsure when we can all get together. 

KLM have given us travel vouchers for up to twelve months. Arnold Clark already returned the car hire fees in full but Sykes Cottages won't budge on over 1000 euro ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yanto said:

Sykes Cottages.. I have ten people booked into a cottage in the lakes for four nights in April. 

Well by the UK lockdown this is now against the rules. 

Only offering no fee to rebook later in the year but they seem to have pushed their prices up. 

Plus travelling from Holland we are unsure when we can all get together. 

KLM have given us travel vouchers for up to twelve months. Arnold Clark already returned the car hire fees in full but Sykes Cottages won't budge on over 1000 euro ??

This can work both ways. I'm an Airbnb host, and have lost around £2k of bookings so far. Fortunately this is only an additional income, not my main one. Airbnb policy has been to allow cancellation and 100% refund to guests irrespective of booking criteria , within a narrow window of dates, but that has meant hosts having their cancellation policy ignored and thus them out of pocket. It is what it is to me, but for those making a living from hosting, it's had their pants well and truly pulled down. 

Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/03/2020 at 20:17, Copa said:

BA would only give us credit for a future flight within the next 12 months. That’s over $4000.

EU laws are quite strict, they cancel, they refund for EU flights. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/03/2020 at 05:39, Ackroman said:

Don't patronise me. Theres plenty of politicians decrying the fact banks are demanding personal guarantees to get access to cash. I don't see what's erroneous, its banks being banks. If they can get a desperate customer to pay 22% on a loan rather than do the right thing, they will, FACT. There's a long history of abuse.

Do i.. should i.. 

Nah. Cant be bothered

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ckn said:

EU laws are quite strict, they cancel, they refund for EU flights. 

I could do with some guidance on this

wife and children were due to fly to Philippines last night

Emirates only offering rebooking but we would have to pay any increased cost. The youngest is nearly two so very low fare paid but they would want full fare if we rebook for after his birthday

additional cost likely to exceed £1000 and not willing to pay that amount, when no guarantee won’t happed to new flights and my ongoing financial circumstances are like every ones else’s uncertain

looked at the legislation and seems does not apply in exceptional circumstances


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gazza77 said:

This can work both ways. I'm an Airbnb host, and have lost around £2k of bookings so far. Fortunately this is only an additional income, not my main one. Airbnb policy has been to allow cancellation and 100% refund to guests irrespective of booking criteria , within a narrow window of dates, but that has meant hosts having their cancellation policy ignored and thus them out of pocket. It is what it is to me, but for those making a living from hosting, it's had their pants well and truly pulled down. 

Totally understand but it's unprecedented times. We are in fact banned from travelling and gathering as a group,completely out of our hands.

In Sykes case everyone else, host agency, continues to make money and the customers pay? 

Are Companies like this it getting government assistance??

Are Airbnb hosts also not allowed to claim for loss of income as small buiseness / self employed? 

Reading up there are a lot of very angry people out there who feel they are being ripped off. 

Even though we never took it out I am unsure if their travel insurance would even cover something of this nature. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, groundhopper said:

I could do with some guidance on this

wife and children were due to fly to Philippines last night

Emirates only offering rebooking but we would have to pay any increased cost. The youngest is nearly two so very low fare paid but they would want full fare if we rebook for after his birthday

additional cost likely to exceed £1000 and not willing to pay that amount, when no guarantee won’t happed to new flights and my ongoing financial circumstances are like every ones else’s uncertain

looked at the legislation and seems does not apply in exceptional circumstances


 

 

Direct link to EU guidance. They cancel, they refund if you want it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ckn said:

According to Simon Calder yesterday....as the airlines are in such dire straits, shortly there may be a relaxing of the laws around refunds, and vouchers will become acceptable

Will take one major country to allow this for the dam to break. Get in quickly for the proper cash refunds before the vouchers come in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

It does state that all that is void is the airline can prove extraordinary circumstances. Which it’s fairly clear they will be able to.

As Shaun mc says above, get refunds in before the first country buckles!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...