Brian McDermott’s Four Quarters Idea

You almost certainly couldn’t bring this in after we’ve already played a handful of Super League games as a way to help finish the current season.

I understand the points made about the possibility of two games a week and how it will affect the game, the players and the clubs involved but you can’t change the season once it’s started, unless you void off those games and start again, IMO. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well if we want the North American market then its the way to go....

then we can evolve a bit more and bring in idea's to increase intensity of hits and to further improve those short duration intensities 15min quarters... eventually join the  NFL and there we are the game has a future...

25 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The complete difference in rules, perhaps. 

Which rules of 9s make it League whereas that difference in rule makes 7s Union? 

I’m not saying you’re wrong btw, I don’t watch 9s, 7s or other than very occasionally Union so don’t know the rules. 

5 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Deliberate obtuseness is not a great look. 

Laws of the game called Rugby League since 1895 and still to this day...

Length of game 1. The game shall normally be of eighty minutes duration.

Interval At half time there shall be an interval of five minutes but this may be extended or reduced.

Some rules are fundamental to the sport.

So where in the 1895 rules did it mention extra time or golden point, substitutes, 13 man teams, 4 or 6 tackles, video referees, 10mt defensive lines, 40/20s. You adapt to the times, thats been the games strength.

Until this virus is defeated and there are no more deaths or new cases,any talk of rugby league or indeed any other sport resuming should be stamped on.

And in my opinion the decision on whether to resume rugby league or any other sport should be taken away from the sporting bodies and it should be up to the emergency services and the NHS as to whether or not they are able to provide cover and care for players who will get injured.And right now I am sure the NHS doesn’t need the extra pressure of having to put rugby players shoulders back into place when they are fighting this evil man made virus from China that has found it’s way here.

And if it means that there is no rugby league for the rest of the year then so be it.

There is a far bigger battle being fought.

6 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Two 60 minute games a week is far more sensible than three 80 minute games which has been the other suggestion put forward.

Used to knock a couple of games in a week in the past and those guys were not as fit and did a 40 hour (37.1/4 hours if they worked at the pit) week.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

5 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Deliberate obtuseness is not a great look. 

Laws of the game called Rugby League since 1895 and still to this day...

Length of game 1. The game shall normally be of eighty minutes duration.

Interval At half time there shall be an interval of five minutes but this may be extended or reduced.

Some rules are fundamental to the sport.

As others have noted, MF, if the word 'normally' is included it indicates quite clearly that there may be circumstances in which a game is not 80 minutes in length.  I could see matches played with atypically short intervals between them in the balance of a severely truncated season possibly being one such context.  It makes sense to me.

By the way, how comfortable are you with all the other rule changes since 1895, when, incidentally, and as far as I am aware, the game was not called rugby league as you suggest, but rather Northern Union?  I imagine you must be particularly unhappy and uneasy about the relentless devaluing of a drop goal.

4 15 minute quarters is indeed too much like an North American football, and therefore far too radical for RL.

3 20 minute periods instead.

Besides, who decided on an 80-minute game anyway? That's kind of an odd number.

4 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Until this virus is defeated and there are no more deaths or new cases,any talk of rugby league or indeed any other sport resuming should be stamped on.

Like every other business in the country RL clubs are strategising and scenario-planning the re-opening phase. The idea that this shouldn't be discussed because...? is a bit bonkers.

Nobody's saying it should happen before the authorities give an OK, but clearly rugby league is rightly working out how to get back on its feet when it's all over.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

What makes it rugby league, distinguished from say Union 7s? 

Eddie it's better .... always was and always will be, even if covid 19 sees it off!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 minutes ago, M j M said:

Like every other business in the country RL clubs are strategising and scenario-planning the re-opening phase. The idea that this shouldn't be discussed because...? is a bit bonkers.

Nobody's saying it should happen before the authorities give an OK, but clearly rugby league is rightly working out how to get back on its feet when it's all over.

But until we know when , we won't know what we can fit in , and at this moment nobody knows , so anybody actually suggesting this that or the other is just pointless imo , of course 

Archived