super league re start

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not Relevant, it will be if it is 'carry on as nornal' do you know of any definative statement regarding P&R Tommy, as it been officially scrapped thus season or not?

I don't have anything saying it is or not H. All I can say is that getting the Super League back on Sky and not compromising England at the World Cup next year is the only 2 things we have confirmed as priorities.

As for my own opinion as to why we've heard little about P/R, I think its because they can't confirm anyone will be playing in a league to promote from. Relegation is reliant on promotion and as it stands the championship is far behind Super League in restarting. We know from the Toulouse press release that the championship is either looking at resumption or cancellation. It would be impossible for Super League to say anything about p/r before the championship decides which of these two it goes for, though I can see how SL confirming or denying relegation would make the decision clearer for the Championship also. I doubt SL could do that unilaterally however.

It may transpire to be all good going forwards and we have 2 full league seasons with p/r, point is they can't confirm that right now. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And the question of P&R?

Is irrelevant at this stage.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

31 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Is irrelevant at this stage.

Maybe not for you, but it will be very relevant for some clubs preperation if it is to be maintained.

I agree with Tommy that it is not just a decision that SL can take, the Rugby League are also involved and considering you are putting a lot of the emphasis on Sky do you think they will want to broadcast a lot of friendlies? 2/3rds of the games will be just that with no more than 5 clubs vying for finishing positions in the top 5. 

The race to avoid relegation last season will be what the Sky producers would like to repeat itself it made for great television, and the fact that Toronto could/would most likely be involved in that race will whet the appetite of the viewers whichever camp they sit in with regards Toronto.

PS, Taking so long to announce that the Championship will not be playing for promotion, indicates to me that there may just be a different comp for the teams that wish to play on, without penalty for those who don't want to.

22 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

How about getting some SL on terrestrial as per the Premier league

Sky has the pick of their 2/3 games then put two more a week on BBC

That would be good with no fans at grounds . Plenty of channels on free view. Couple of games a week seems like slim pickings anyway 

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Maybe not for you, but it will be very relevant for some clubs preperation if it is to be maintained.

Not right now though. The two priorities for the game as a whole are next year's World Cup and the coverage of this season's Super League.

Details around promotion and relegation are minor at this stage. They'll be important later but are a total irrelevance now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not right now though. The two priorities for the game as a whole are next year's World Cup and the coverage of this season's Super League.

Details around promotion and relegation are minor at this stage. They'll be important later but are a total irrelevance now.

Getting SL underway, surely before a ball is kicked those who may be competing to avoid relegation will need to know if it is being maintained or not.

You are dead right it will be important later. As of now with no announcement saying that P&R as been scrapped for this season we can only assume that it is to be maintained.

And as I posed the question, do you consider Sky will want a load of friendly fixtures to choose from?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Getting SL underway, surely before a ball is kicked those who may be competing to avoid relegation will need to know if it is being maintained or not.

You are dead right it will be important later. As of now with no announcement saying that P&R as been scrapped for this season we can only assume that it has been maintained.

And as I posed the question, will Sky want a load of friendly fixtures to choose from?

There’s play off qualification and a title to play for.

By the time the season restarts we’ll know what’s happening with regards to P&R but it’s a low priority right now.

14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So 22 games in 14 weeks ? , That'll test squad numbers ?

Once the games in hand are played all teams will have played 7 of those 22 already so it will be 15 games each in the remaining time. IIRC three midweek rounds were in the published plans.

2 hours ago, POR said:

But nothings written in stone there's no reason the world cup cant be put back a year ala football euros olympic games 

The euros and olympics were put back because the travel involved and fans needed to make the events were totally incompatible with Virus containment. Barring any new virus or disaster they and the RLWC will take place next year.

Point being they weren't just put back on a whim, they were put back because they were a) impossible to stage and b) in the euros case to give extra time for domestic leagues to finish.

43 minutes ago, gingerjon said:
  1. There’s play off qualification and a title to play for.
  2. By the time the season restarts we’ll know what’s happening with regards to P&R
  3. but it’s a low priority right now.

1. I already mentioned that which you conveniently skipped by, but as I pointed out how many clubs do you think will be competing for those qualification places?

2. I should hope so, but why prolong the announcement if it was definate there will be no P&R there is no point in holding back, the longer the delay the more chance it is being maintained.

3. It shouldn't  be.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

1. I already mentioned that which you conveniently skipped by, but as I pointed out how many clubs do you think will be competing for those qualification places?

2. I should hope so, but why prolong the announcement if it was definate there will be no P&R there is no point in holding back, the longer the delay the more chance it is being maintained.

3. It shouldn't  be.

1. No idea but it doesn’t make any game a friendly

2. probably because they aren’t 100% what’s happening with the Championship or League 1 and so making an announcement either way would be a very silly thing to do

3. It is because the reality of what’s important for the whole game dictates that it is

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

3. It shouldn't  be.

Harry, you and I both know P/R is far more important for the division below. For Super League its a decision they cannot make unilaterally anyway so all they can say right now is "we want to restart asap" - its not a priority for them because its ultimately dependent on the championship. Multiple CEOs, including Elstone centrally, have expressed reservations about the implications of relegation this year. Even Leigh's Mr Beaumont has recognised in these times very few SL chairmen are going to come out supporting relegation in all of his proposed ideas - 13 team SL in 2021, a 16 team comp this year with 4 relegated in November.

Regardless, as I said P/R is most important to the divsion below. As it stands that second division has only 2 club chairmen (Leigh and Fev) openly championing a return asap, with London and Toulouse being ambiguous thus far and the rest seeming to be prioritising being around for next year ahead of on field aspirations. 

Its a very fast moving situation, we may see crowds return in a small capacity much sooner which may enable the Championship to restart and it all to go as planned just delayed, it may also be the case that we don't see that and nobody is promoted from a championship that doesn't take place this year.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just read through all that, have I missed something and has a decision been taken that there is no P&R this year, it has not been mentioned on this thread.

If there is to be no P&R (in whatever format it could be decided for the Championship) then why try to cram all those games in such a tight schedule in SL?

Spot on - If there is to be no consequences to clubs at the bottom end of Super League then there is no point in cramming in additional fixtures that are deterimental to player welfare.

You would like to think common sense would prevail in that scenario but we are posting about Rugby League....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

That would put it pretty much directly in competition with the football world cup

but only the semis on 19th of november and the final on 27th  would be played along side group games of football world cup which starts on 14th

Just now, POR said:

but only the semis on 19th of november and the final on 27th  would be played along side group games of football world cup which starts on 14th

Oh no worries then only the 3 biggest games...

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Oh no worries then only the 3 biggest games...

Agreed but  simple solution instead   of starting on the 23rd of october and running 5 weeks finishing on 27th start on the 9th and running 5 weeks finish on the 13th day before football starts

3 minutes ago, POR said:

Agreed but  simple solution instead   of starting on the 23rd of october and running 5 weeks finishing on 27th start on the 9th and running 5 weeks finish on the 13th day before football starts

What, hold the opening game (England vs Samoa) the same weekend as the Grand Final

22 hours ago, POR said:

interesting idea Kman so that's

Sunday   1week  sunday  2 weeks Sunday  sounds very familiar?️

I bow to tour greater experience and knowledge of the history of the game (I don't know it they did it before or not).... I was just thinking of the players is all...its way too many games.

16 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here...Toronto and their twenty-two man squad finish bottom having never played a home game in Canada in 2020, should they be relegated?

No over the last 2years they have proved themselves to be far too good for the Championship.I dont agree with the fact that special conditions have been allowed for Toronto.

21 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

3. It shouldn't  be.

you;ve answered all your questions with the answer to 2.. its not definite what is going to happen yet therefore they are not announcing it.. there was another thread on here a while back asking for outlines of plans for how/when etc we get back up and running and I argued that there was no point until we were sure of what was happening because otherwise there would be thread on thread picking apart plans for every little unknown bit.. to leak a bit of information here and there would leave people questioning it all without the full picture.. it would appear I was right. 

Take it as it is.. this is the first piece of a massive jigsaw that needs to be put together.. The money from SKY is vital and to get that they need games to show.. the Championship needs todays announcement from the government to get a better idea of when/if they will be able to play infront of crowds (thats if the announcements give a clue to that) no crowds = no income = a huge likelihood the champ cannot afford to restart. Therefore no P&R but before we get to that point there cannot be an announcement for something that is not decided. No relegation from Super League is not ideal in terms of "something riding on the matches" but it is what it is and you make the best of a bad situation. 

Finish this season in whatever form it is, it is much better than having some form of "interim season" and then restart next year as close to normal as possible (if we can) in the run up to the world cup. write off 2020 as a weird year and move on.. any lag of the 2020 season to next year would be daft IMHO.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here...Toronto and their twenty-two man squad finish bottom having never played a home game in Canada in 2020, should they be relegated?

Call me biased but I think there would be significant sporting integrity problems there for me. If it was my club I wouldn't accept it. 

Archived