Ryan Hall should be back playing in the NRL for many weeks.

5 hours ago, Aussie Bronco said:

I don’t buy into this conspiracy theory that the roosters aren’t giving Hall a chance. He’s simply just been unlucky, his time will come 

I'm not one for that type of thinking either but this one is pretty obvious.   I'm not blaming the Roosters...its a player thing not passing to him or other players for various reasons...he seems to be getting along Okay with the other players in the clubhouse...someone needs to have a talk with Morris.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I'm not one for that type of thinking either but this one is pretty obvious.   I'm not blaming the Roosters...its a player thing not passing to him or other players for various reasons...he seems to be getting along Okay with the other players in the clubhouse...someone needs to have a talk with Morris.

Hall has played 3 games this season, which 5 are you referring to? 

The Morris twins are brilliant footballers to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Does anyone else think Hall was brought in primarily for his defensive ability and being able to make good metres coming away from the line? 

He replaced Ferguson who is a very good metre maker as well as outstanding all round winger. Not one for scoring tons and tons of tries though. 

Maybe Hall was not brought in with try scoring a priority? 

28 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Does anyone else think Hall was brought in primarily for his defensive ability and being able to make good metres coming away from the line? 

He replaced Ferguson who is a very good metre maker as well as outstanding all round winger. Not one for scoring tons and tons of tries though. 

Maybe Hall was not brought in with try scoring a priority? 

I am sure that you are wrong about the reason for hiring Ryan Hall. Trent Robinson is much more ambitious than that.

I think Hall's ability to carry the ball strongly in his own half was absolutely part of Robinson's thinking in bringing him to the Roosters. 

All teams require their wingers to do the hard yards with the ball but this is heightened at the Roosters. Whatever combination of wingers they have fielded in recent years, the wingers are constantly turning in 150 metre plus games. In turn, this allows the forwards to have the energy for the oppressive defense that has been a big part of their success. Everyone has a role and it is executed perfectly. 

This is not unique to the Roosters but they do it better than all the others and they are the double premiers for a reason.

Of course Robinson needs his wingers to finish well but their overall game is more than that and especially at the Roosters. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think Hall's ability to carry the ball strongly in his own half was absolutely part of Robinson's thinking in bringing him to the Roosters. 

All teams require their wingers to do the hard yards with the ball but this is heightened at the Roosters. Whatever combination of wingers they have fielded in recent years, the wingers are constantly turning in 150 metre plus games. In turn, this allows the forwards to have the energy for the oppressive defense that has been a big part of their success. Everyone has a role and it is executed perfectly. 

This is not unique to the Roosters but they do it better than all the others and they are the double premiers for a reason.

Of course Robinson needs his wingers to finish well but their overall game is more than that and especially at the Roosters. 

Thanks, you articulated that much better than I did. Agree with all of it.

I've watched the last 3 roosters games in which he has played and there seems to me to be a reluctance by other players to use him in attack whether by design or not. Last week he played on the right wing and everything went left and this week he played on the left and everything went right. 

Seeing the team as a whole, and particularly the other wingers, score so many tries must be absolutely devastating to his confidence and i may be wrong but i think from watching that this is the case. The paradox of being part of a winning team but not actually feeling part of it.

8 hours ago, Matthias said:

I've watched the last 3 roosters games in which he has played and there seems to me to be a reluctance by other players to use him in attack whether by design or not. Last week he played on the right wing and everything went left and this week he played on the left and everything went right. 

Seeing the team as a whole, and particularly the other wingers, score so many tries must be absolutely devastating to his confidence and i may be wrong but i think from watching that this is the case. The paradox of being part of a winning team but not actually feeling part of it.

He didn’t play against the storm though? What game are you referring to last week?

so many conspiracy theorists on here as to why ryan hall isnt scoring. Watch the games and you'll see! The roosters 6-7 combo arent structured halves but play to what's in front of them and tedesco reads the defence so well and also launches the attack from the back directing the halves to which side of the field the attack. The right defence of the cowboys was shocking hence ikuvalu side benefiting but I think had radley and cordner played against the cowboys hall would've seen more ball. I feel for ryan but its not a deliberate act to deny him ball or opportunity plus if you compare him and morris, morris actually goes in field in search of the ball. He still racked up over 100 metres and his post contact is always strong, i dont see any reason for robinson to demote him.

4 hours ago, Aussie Bronco said:

He didn’t play against the storm though? What game are you referring to last week?

True, i'm referring to the previous game he played against the dragons on 26 June when he played on the right wing.

17 hours ago, Matthias said:

Playmakers have a tendency to play one way and patterns of play are developed over years. I have seen some players being very under utilised over the years as a result. It simply is not plausible that a team changes the way it plays week to week whether Hall is in the side or not. Especially when it is a team as well drilled and experienced as the Roosters. It would also mean the players on his inside not getting the ball either and upsetting them. This gets even less plausible when a stand in comes in and scores 5 tries on the wing that Hall was previously, I simply don't believe that the Roosters would suddenly think to go his Ikuvalu's wing on purpose to engineer this.

Some of the NRL commentators need to take a look at Halls international try scoring record which is almost a try a game across nearly 44 internationals. (37Trys/44Int)

Not one of them comes close, maybe not even collectively!

A bit of respect from them is in order.

With Morris returning, Ikuvalu gets the nod on the wing for the Roosters ahead of Hall this week.

Only fair. We can lament all we want about the Roosters not shifting the ball to Hall's wing, but you can't drop a player after a 5 try performance. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

With Morris returning, Ikuvalu gets the nod on the wing for the Roosters ahead of Hall this week.

Only fair. We can lament all we want about the Roosters not shifting the ball to Hall's wing, but you can't drop a player after a 5 try performance. 

I agree. Also, I am sure that Matt Ikuvalu is earning a lot less money than Ryan Hall. He comes from a humble background on the NSW Central Coast, with a Tongan father who is a factory worker there. Matt used to work in the same factory, but set his sights on improving himself, and has been studying at university to become a school teacher. 

https://www.athletesvoice.com.au/matt-ikuvalu-mile-in-dads-shoes/#vItC2OOmS4IKHexZ.97

He is probably on a small wage from the Roosters, perhaps affected by his game time in the NRL. So his selection will probably enhance his economic situation in the Covid 19 economic crisis.

From his post match interview after his last record breaking game Matt showed himself to be a humble and pleasant person.

I haven't heard any commentators being disrespectful of Ryan Hall at all. They mention his lack of tries in the NRL as an interesting point, GIVEN his great record in superleague and tests. He's been a perfectly adequate performer for the roosters, but he's clearly been out performed by not just their other quality test wingers, but now also Ikuvalu. For all the lack of quality ball (which is not a conspiracy of course!) I've also gotta query whether he's putting himself in the right position. When his opposition winger dropped a bomb last week, he wasn't there to pick it up. When breaks are made, he's not there demanding the ball. I hope he gets another chance this week and takes it. He's been a great player in his prime and remains a good one now.

• 4 weeks later...

This Thursday could be the last chance that Ryan Hall has to score a try in the NRL. Both Brett Morris and Daniel Tupou could be fit and back in the Roosters team the following week. Ryan Hall and the Roosters have a mutual option for 2021, but it may be that the Roosters are considering another wing option, such as the more versatile young Englishman Herbie Farnworth, for 2021 and beyond. I feel very sorry for Ryan Hall because he had a glittering career until he tore his ACL in his last season with Leeds, and he has been a role model for young players. He has not played badly in the NRL, though he has had a few defensive lapses, especially two against St.George-Illawarra last week.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Ryan Hall can score a try against Melbourne, when he will mark Fijian star Suilasi Vunivalu, on Thursday.. He did score a try when marking Vunivalu, playing for Leeds in the World Club Challenge a few years ago. But Ryan Hall was in his prime back then.

4 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Left out today and replaced by a debutant - think that's the final nail in any chance he'll be there next year. Not to dig out a young kid on debut but the guy who's come in for him is having a bit of a mare himself, not helped by the fact the Roosters are getting pumped in general.

Isn't he missing with a knee injury ?

18 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Left out today and replaced by a debutant - think that's the final nail in any chance he'll be there next year. Not to dig out a young kid on debut but the guy who's come in for him is having a bit of a mare himself, not helped by the fact the Roosters are getting pumped in general.

Also, just remembered i'm watching this delayed so just seen the young lad scored! great effort

Read on the Roosters website that Hall was taken out of the top squad and the debutant came in as a replacement. No mention of injury or anything. Doesn't mean of course that he hasn't picked up an Injury.

I guess you wouldn't choose to blood a young kid against the Storm unless you had to.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived