October Comp

Batley Bob

So Lunt and Scott are presumably still under contract and receiving payment from the club until November. If this competition starts in October will they be selected to play, and if so, I wonder what their reaction will be?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fredm said:

So Lunt and Scott are presumably still under contract and receiving payment from the club until November. If this competition starts in October will they be selected to play, and if so, I wonder what their reaction will be?

I doubt anyone can be forced to play,they might need to play but had rather still wait for 2021.

It was the same when Day and Harrison signed for Featherstone but finished the season off with Batley, they even had photo's taken of them wearing Featherstone shirts, nothing wrong with that.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

That may well be the outcome unfortunately. An added problem, of course, is the expectation in some quarters that it will simply "go away" before next year.

I tend to agree with your sentiments.

I would hope that the powers at be at the RFL, and the clubs themselves, would be pushing the technological boundaries and be well on the way to sorting out ways to live stream all of next seasons games as a contingency, in case we are having to play behind closed doors. The clubs could then at least, make a start on getting sponsors onboard and attempt to budget for the coming season.

Personally, I'd like to see all clubs selling season tickets collaboratory, that would allow access through a paywall to all of the streamed games on the Our League app. Maybe split 80% to the club that sells the season ticket, with 20% equally shared amongst all of the other clubs, to compensate the less well supported clubs for the lack of away support. However, I would be very surprised if it is even being discussed.

18 minutes ago, ChampagneCharlieReturns said:

York have said no haven't they? Didn't the rfl say it needed a minimum of 8 teams

Don't think York have said anything officially yet, although I have seen posts on forums suggesting that they pulled out at the same time as they withdrew from the CC.

Edit - just seen they confirmed non entry an hour ago

15 minutes ago, fredm said:

And what will be different from now in 6 months time?

No one knows, it could be worse, or it could be better. So what choice does the game have? Sit back and do nothing assuming it is going to be just as bad, or at least prepare in the assumption that it might be possible to play?

Have we signed up for this? I thought the deadline was yesterday?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

2 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Have we signed up for this? I thought the deadline was yesterday?

Mushrooms again PM?

It is inconsequential I reckon - I don't see how the competition could realistically go ahead now.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Mushrooms again PM?

It is inconsequential I reckon - I don't see how the competition could realistically go ahead now.

Thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. Was yesterday not the date for clubs to say whether they were committing?

56 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. Was yesterday not the date for clubs to say whether they were committing?

I wasn't implying that it was unreasonable DD, just that the reply may well be inconsequential.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I think Kevin mentioned in his update that clubs had let the rfl know by the 14th if they were interested. There would be another meeting a week later to decide if the competition would go ahead.

The key word in that for me, is "interested", showing interest and committing to do something are very different things.

As a black belt in procrastination, they are very different things, just ask her indoors.. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Well if there are 4 teams participating surely the obvious solution is the following:

2 x semi finals played on the same day 

Then the final as the curtain raiser potentially for the SL Grand Final

£50k to all 4 teams with the extra £50k going to the winner.

1 hour ago, Nick07 said:

Well if there are 4 teams participating surely the obvious solution is the following:

2 x semi finals played on the same day 

Then the final as the curtain raiser potentially for the SL Grand Final

£50k to all 4 teams with the extra £50k going to the winner.

...or just give Bradford the £250,000. 

Archived