Cameron Smith

30 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I was hoping this thread was about him joining a SL club. Is that ever likely to happen?

No, if he’s any sense, and he has very good judgement, he’ll not be like Coops, he’ll remain a one club player at Storm until he retires when he’ll cement his reputation as a legend of the game with a crop of records in the NRL that will stand for a long time.

6 minutes ago, Rioman said:

Hopefully he won't be lost to the game and will take up playing when he finishes as a referee.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

8 minutes ago, Rioman said:

Hopefully he won't be lost to the game and will take up playing when he finishes as a referee.

Today he did the reffing for Cummins (?) with an excellent Captain's Challenge. 

On a serious note, were he to leave the Storm when he retires for, say, media work which is highly probable, where would that leave Bellamy? Bellyache is an awesome coach but I'd guess that Smith has an enormous influence on on-field matters. Would Bellamy's tenure start to fray at the edges?

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Today he did the reffing for Cummins (?) with an excellent Captain's Challenge. 

On a serious note, were he to leave the Storm when he retires for, say, media work which is highly probable, where would that leave Bellamy? Bellyache is an awesome coach but I'd guess that Smith has an enormous influence on on-field matters. Would Bellamy's tenure start to fray at the edges?

I wonder what impact the captains challenge will have in the long term.

Players like Smith have always been in the ear of the referees looking to influence decisions and all the challenge will do is prove to the players that they were right.

I agree that the decision was correct in the end and the challenge was appropriate but I worry that all it does is erode the confidence and authority of the referees and that can't be good for our game in the long run.

I really do feel for the ref's in the NRL, every mistake they make is apologised for and now there is a law which assumes they get calls wrong.  Their confidence must be shot.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

35 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that the decision was correct in the end and the challenge was appropriate but I worry that all it does is erode the confidence and authority of the referees and that can't be good for our game in the long run.

It could work the other way. Was it last week when a team was sounding off about a decision and the ref simply asked if they wanted to make a Captain's Challenge. No? Well, end of conversation.

3 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

It could work the other way. Was it last week when a team was sounding off about a decision and the ref simply asked if they wanted to make a Captain's Challenge. No? Well, end of conversation.

Yes, I think you are right there.  It is a good way for the ref's to hit back and I have seen that a few times.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Anyway, on Smith. I thought he was outstanding today, completely controlled the game and, like all great players, always seems to have so much time to put in the perfect pass or kick.

I am sure that the likes of Harry Grant would step into the void at the Storm and do well but it would require a different way of playing for them... their halves and full back are a threat running the ball because they know Smith will manage the game so well.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Anyway, on Smith. I thought he was outstanding today, completely controlled the game and, like all great players, always seems to have so much time to put in the perfect pass or kick.

I am sure that the likes of Harry Grant would step into the void at the Storm and do well but it would require a different way of playing for them... their halves and full back are a threat running the ball because they know Smith will manage the game so well.

If Smith plays on next year what does Harry Grant do then 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If Smith plays on next year what does Harry Grant do then 

Probably stays at the Tigers is what the commentators were saying today. Don't know if that is an extended loan or permanent though. 

He is a top player but so too is Brandon Smith who could be the next Storm 9 as well.

Cameron Smith is one of the greatest players of all time. Of course, there are (and have been) more skilful players, but this guy has been at the top level for 15 years and is still one of the top 10 players in the world. That is an amazing legacy. 

I've been thinking about him a lot recently since I heard an aussie commentator state, without any doubt in his voice, that he is the best player ever.

He's undoubtedly one of the greats, obviously, but where does he really rank in best players ever? Considering his physical limitations, his influence on the game is immense and he is clearly one of those players who, as a fan, is impossible to rate from leadership, game management, mentorship perspective,

Having said that, best hooker ever, probably. Best player ever...not for me. For someone who touches the ball more than anyone in a game, his line breaks, assists and tries numbers dont put him in that category. It's hard to see through the fog of Aussie pre-ordained immortalism, but objectively speaking I dont think he fits in the category of best ever.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 24/07/2020 at 19:53, Dunbar said:

Grant is at least as good as Smith now from what I see. Possibly even better as a running threat

9 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I've been thinking about him a lot recently since I heard an aussie commentator state, without any doubt in his voice, that he is the best player ever.

He's undoubtedly one of the greats, obviously, but where does he really rank in best players ever? Considering his physical limitations, his influence on the game is immense and he is clearly one of those players who, as a fan, is impossible to rate from leadership, game management, mentorship perspective,

Having said that, best hooker ever, probably. Best player ever...not for me. For someone who touches the ball more than anyone in a game, his line breaks, assists and tries numbers dont put him in that category. It's hard to see through the fog of Aussie pre-ordained immortalism, but objectively speaking I dont think he fits in the category of best ever.

Watch any of Andrew John's highlights and it makes it clear Smith is not even the greatest this millenium

13 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

No way . His longevity is amazing as is his consistency but best player ever territory , with sheer individual jaw dropping brilliance you want to watch over n over . Nah , but then I just don’t like the bloke 

Archived