Ed Barber

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

When players are given advice on use of social media, why don't they listen?

Making insinuations as to reasons behind these localised lockdowns.

Good on Jermaine McGillvary for calling him out on it as well.

Not a follower of Barber so can't actually see his tweets - probably a blessing by the sounds of it.

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

He fully deleted it last night after he was called out on it. If there was any doubt as to the meaning behind his tweet, this pretty much removed it. 

Apparently he retweeted some dubious stuff too

6 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

He fully deleted it last night after he was called out on it. If there was any doubt as to the meaning behind his tweet, this pretty much removed it. 

When someone asked him what he meant, he replied "it's not rocket science", and when he brought his Twitter back, he forgot to delete that reply.

But here's the thing. He has been called out on it by Jermaine McGillvary, Alex Rowe, Jason Robinson, Omari Caro...virtually every player I have seen comment on it on Twitter has been black/mixed race. It's things like this that led to the #silenceiscompliance slogan in the systemic racism debate.

If you look at Jermaine McGillvary's Twitter account @j_mcGillvary there's a screenshot of the original tweet.

i have to be honest, I'd never heard of him before I saw McGillvary's tweet, but surely someone must have seen those previous retweets and had a word, and if not, why hadn't they?

Like it or not, a player, or anyone involved in the sport, it held to a higher standard than supporters.

10 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

i have to be honest, I'd never heard of him before I saw McGillvary's tweet, but surely someone must have seen those previous retweets and had a word, and if not, why hadn't they?

Jordan Andrade made a comment on Twitter saying he'd "seen a few suspect tweets from Halifax players". Certainly, one ex-Fax player used to be a constant cheerleader for Yaxley-Lennon and Katy Hopkins and said he would love them to have kids. You'd think most clubs probably have some players with similar views to be fair but presumably most clubs have fairly rigorous briefings to their players about what they should and shouldn't say on social media.

10 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

You'd think most clubs probably have some players with similar views to be fair but presumably most clubs have fairly rigorous briefings to their players about what they should and shouldn't say on social media.

I'm sure they do, some are smart enough not to let the mask slip!

24 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

You'd think most clubs probably have some players with similar views to be fair but presumably most clubs have fairly rigorous briefings to their players about what they should and shouldn't say on social media.

Think this applies to everyday life without any "briefing"

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Stuff like this really annoys me. If you are going to say something like that, you should be prepared to back it up and argue your point with evidence.

To delete the tweet and account says either he knew his view was factually incorrect, he is too cowardly to argue the point and not enough of a person to apologise.

That being said, a ban or fine is the wrong approach. That gives the message that to say something racist is wrong. It does nothing to alter behaviour. Education to solve ignorance is a far better approach and achieved so much more.

25 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Stuff like this really annoys me. If you are going to say something like that, you should be prepared to back it up and argue your point with evidence.

To delete the tweet and account says either he knew his view was factually incorrect, he is too cowardly to argue the point and not enough of a person to apologise.

That being said, a ban or fine is the wrong approach. That gives the message that to say something racist is wrong. It does nothing to alter behaviour. Education to solve ignorance is a far better approach and achieved so much more.

He's a public representative of his club (employer) and sport (industry). If Halifax and the RFL take no action against him they are saying they don't have a problem with his views. They are within their rights to do that, but we are well within our rights to judge the character of the club and the sport in its response. 

7 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

His team mates obviously find it funny.

Fine the player and fine the club. This has been the stance by the RFL recently (2019)

And send every player at the club on a anti racism course. Unfortunately there’s a lot of narrow minded, knuckle draggers in the game. Education is the only way to eradicate it.

I thought the answer was obvious these areas have a lot of poverty and large concentrations of social and economical depravation, add in poor quality housing and it becomes a prime candidate for infectious disease. So to remedy this we need to look at ways of changing this. 

p.s I presume he wasn’t alluding to this reason, but another ignorant reason 

17 minutes ago, Bostik Bailey said:

I thought the answer was obvious these areas have a lot of poverty and large concentrations of social and economical depravation, add in poor quality housing and it becomes a prime candidate for infectious disease. So to remedy this we need to look at ways of changing this. 

p.s I presume he wasn’t alluding to this reason, but another ignorant reason 

Exactly

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

He needs to be sent to a re-education camp. 

Looks like M.P. Craig Whittaker will be joining him.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Its an utterly moronic comment. 

There's plenty of legitimate reasoning why certain groups are affected. Particularly due to poverty and the reality of multigenerational living. 

That said, a conservative MP has come out and been even more explicit today. 

Archived