Forgotten teams?

bar red

43 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Mansfield Marksmen came and went around that time too.

Played originally at Field Mill the home of Mansfield Town then moved to Alfreton. They were named after Mansfield Breweries Marksman Lager. They had one really decent season when they made the Division Two Play Offs.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Played originally at Field Mill the home of Mansfield Town then moved to Alfreton. They were named after Mansfield Breweries Marksman Lager. They had one really decent season when they made the Division Two Play Offs.

Just had a look on Wiki:  Their 1st competitive game was in the 2nd division and they beat Wakefield 15-0, and Trinity fans think we're struggling now?

Evolved into Nottingham City.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

16 hours ago, bar red said:

Did these clubs have 9 different investors or was it the same people under a different guise.?

Blackpool Borough was actually a limited company and over the years various directors put their hands in their pockets to keep the club afloat

They had to  leave Blackpool In 1987 because they couldn’t afford to meet Blackpool Council ground regulations imposed after the Bradford City fire. When they decamped to Wigan then Chorley, the same board of directors was in place.

After one season at Chorley, some board members wanted to relocate to Altrincham as Trafford Borough. At this point, five Blackpool-based directors resigned and stayed behind to form a brand new club which they confusingly named Chorley Borough. All the Blackpool-based fans who had stayed loyal through previous moves stayed with the new Chorley Borough and new board members were attracted from the local area.

By the time of their next move I had given up watching so I don’t know who the investors were in all their later incarnations.

It would make a fascinating book, for me at least!

13 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Don’t think Leeds would be big enough for two big teams. Seems more sensible to focus all the resources on Leeds and have a big rivalry with Bradford

I get that, but having even a clearly smaller rival South of the River or wherever would give Leeds a different sort of match than we currently could have. The Rhinos are a bit monolithic and all consuming and smaller places like Hull have two teams plus the smaller towns that support a team. Hunslet do obviously still exist as well.

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I get that, but having even a clearly smaller rival South of the River or wherever would give Leeds a different sort of match than we currently could have. The Rhinos are a bit monolithic and all consuming and smaller places like Hull have two teams plus the smaller towns that support a team. Hunslet do obviously still exist as well.

Back in the day where Leeds and Hunslet almost equal in stature? Derbies are great and fuel teams to develop, that’s why I never understand why people leave out HKR when they’re doing there wish list of who should be in SL. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Back in the day where Leeds and Hunslet almost equal in stature? Derbies are great and fuel teams to develop, that’s why I never understand why people leave out HKR when they’re doing there wish list of who should be in SL. 

In times gone by, Hunslet were more successful than Leeds.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Back in the day where Leeds and Hunslet almost equal in stature?

Was this before or after Hunslet went bust and had to reform as New Hunslet?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Depends how far back you go I suppose.

The obvious breaking point of leaving Parkside in the early 70s really marked the end for the club and "New" Hunslet have never reached the same highs as the days of yore. That said the slide probably started in the late 50s as what was effectively slum clearance meant Hunslet went from being in the heart of a residential area to an industrial estate in the space of a few decades. The current ground isnt actually too bad, a bit like Saracens Allianz park really. I really don't see where they can go however from this point with a long term future unless crowds pick up a bit more and they get themselves better known.

12 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Always had a soft spot for this Mansfield Marksman back cover programme ad...

Mansfield Marksman RLFC_Match programme back cover scan_35p, 16pp_versus York_Second Division Championship_09-12-84.jpg

11 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I believe once upon a time there used to be a very succesful team that played out of Bradford.

Yeah, there's been a couple of good Bradford teams back in the day, two founding members of the league actually. Manningham who won the first championship and the challenge cup the following season I think it was, and Bradford F.C. who also won a championship and a challenge cup but unfortunately they both switched to football right early on becoming Bradford City and Bradford Park Avenue respectively. 

On 03/09/2020 at 11:53, Tommygilf said:

Yeah in 1907 and 1938 I'll give you that

Tommy your forgetting the 1960s . when Hunslet played Wigan in 65 , and finished above Leeds a few times in the 60s and in the top 5. Remember in 1999 Wakefield and Leeds voted against Hunslet entering Super League when we won promotion to it. I think any team would have fallen down in these circumstances , they did well to keep going. Anyway sorry for derailing this thread as the topic is about teams who used to be in the leagues.

What about Cardiff Dragons who played at Ninian Park , I could be wrong but didnt they become South Wales then moved to Bridgend or even Merthyr Tydfil.

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yeah, there's been a couple of good Bradford teams back in the day, two founding members of the league actually. Manningham who won the first championship and the challenge cup the following season I think it was, and Bradford F.C. who also won a championship and a challenge cup but unfortunately they both switched to football right early on becoming Bradford City and Bradford Park Avenue respectively. 

Manningham never won the Challenge Cup (they have won the FA Cup as Bradford City), the only truly defunct club to have won it was Broughton Rangers in 1901/02 and 1910/11 (coincidentally the same year that Bradford City won the FA Cup).

On 03/09/2020 at 11:53, Tommygilf said:

Yeah in 1907 and 1938 I'll give you that

Given the level of support, it's little short of a scandal that Leeds took over sixty years to win their first championship.

Until recently, they have been perpetual underachievers.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 02/09/2020 at 17:22, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Wakefield and Castleford are also basically suburbs of Leeds

In the same way as Glasgow is a suburb of London ?

Aye ... right.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Given the level of support, it's little short of a scandal that Leeds took over sixty years to win their first championship.

Until recently, they have been perpetual underachievers.

Agreed. In the years between Roy Francis and Graham Murray Leeds were a club who paid a lot of money but never achieved/were in Wigan's shadow. 

That doesn't make Hunslet successful by comparison!

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed. In the years between Roy Francis and Graham Murray Leeds were a club who paid a lot of money but never achieved/were in Wigan's shadow. 

That doesn't make Hunslet successful by comparison!

I was thinking a bit further back than Roy Francis.

2 hours ago, owls said:

What about Cardiff Dragons who played at Ninian Park , I could be wrong but didnt they become South Wales then moved to Bridgend or even Merthyr Tydfil.

Cardiff City Blue Dragons (1981-84) went to Bridgend (under new owners, as Bridgend Blue Dragons) when they were kicked out of Ninian Park. Played at the Bridgend football ground (since demolished). The club folded a few days before the start of the 1986-87 season.

Cardiff City RL.jpg

2 hours ago, wiganermike said:

Manningham never won the Challenge Cup (they have won the FA Cup as Bradford City), the only truly defunct club to have won it was Broughton Rangers in 1901/02 and 1910/11 (coincidentally the same year that Bradford City won the FA Cup).

My mistake, I stand corrected. 

Archived