Broadcasting rights go out to tender

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

I agree and hope there are separate streaming packages.

No clue how to attract international broadcaster. Maybe on the basis of rolling contracts or secured spots for french/canadian clubs. Is the tender based on P&R?

Nail, hit, head there I think mate

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yes, hence the word sport

The reason I asked was prompted by the other thread you started with regards to people attending 'live' games wgen allowed to do so, I quote you:-

"to attend matches, away trips, weekend plans, watching your side on TV more etc"

This statement doesn't apply to clubs below SL level does it? So hopefully you can see why I posed the question in relation to your intention of the amount of contract monies that will be awarded.

Your answer above has now cleared that up.

It will be a new deal with SKY (And with SKY you get great potential for International distribution rights FOX etc)

I expect that maybe the BBC will show 1 SL match a week on a delayed telecast (Sky match in full) along with a new deal with the BBC for CC and Internationals.

France

At best a deal that pays the production costs for the Dragons (We need Toulouse in for any chance of a paid deal)

Canada

No chance of anything unless the club pay for the production costs.

30 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

I agree and hope there are separate streaming packages.

No clue how to attract international broadcaster. Maybe on the basis of rolling contracts or secured spots for french/canadian clubs. Is the tender based on P&R?

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Nail, hit, head there I think mate

Hopefully not, I have given reasons on more than one occasion why I do not agree with secured or for protecting any team from relegation.

Please give me any logical reason whatsoever that any TV company would want to end P&R and purposefully agree to reducing the amount of 'interesting' content to broadcast, there are two ends of any league table, the jeapordy aspect last season made for great TV,  and also the race for promotion in the Championship was given plenty of 'Air' time, just concentrating on the top of SL will greatly reduce the the number of competitive interesting games.

Also last week when the % issue was formulated and raised, on these pages there was quite a number of 'concerned' posts in relation to how the system could be abused, if in the same League structure some teams could be relegated whilst others are protected, can you not see how that could be flung wide open to accustaions of games being manipulated and abused, especially by the 'protected' teams?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hopefully not, I have given reasons on more than one occasion why I do not agree with secured or for protecting any team from relegation.

Please give me any logical reason whatsoever that any TV company would want to end P&R and purposefully agree to reducing the amount of 'interesting' content to broadcast, there are two ends of any league table, the jeapordy aspect last season made for great TV,  and also the race for promotion in the Championship was given plenty of 'Air' time, just concentrating on the top of SL will greatly reduce the the number of competitive interesting games.

Also last week when the % issue was formulated and raised, on these pages there was quite a number of 'concerned' posts in relation to how the system could be abused, if in the same League structure some teams could be relegated whilst others are protected, can you not see how that could be flung wide open to accustaions of games being manipulated and abused, especially by the 'protected' teams?

Why would any Canadian or French broadcaster buy Super League or the RFL rights on a significant multi year basis when in any given off season the teams from their countries could be in the other set of TV rights?

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Why would any Canadian or French broadcaster buy Super League or the RFL rights on a significant multi year basis when in any given off season the teams from their countries could be in the other set of TV rights?

And when there is only one team too.

Two packages for sale.

Does anyone know, to whom the invitations to tender, have been sent?

The best lever in any negotiation is ''walk away power'' but if there are no alternatives to Sky then we have a very weak hand indeed.

If the total amount of money raised from this sale can't be increased, then we face a miserable slide to oblivion.

Breaking up the offerings for sale to different broadcasters may at least provide exposure to new people, some additional income and over time, convince other broadcasters of the value of our product and induce one of them to challenge Sky for the privilege of representing Rugby League down the line.

Offering a simple bulk-buy, take it or leave it package, is asking for trouble. 

I'd break it up into as many chunks as we can.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Tommy, these overseas clubs are part of the system that is the British Rugby Football League, when people join any organisation they abide by what the system is, not changing it to suit them.

But anyway please give me as I requested any logical reason why a TV company would reduce any amount of games of more interest in agreeing to abolish P&R as I described.

Talk of different packages and such is Bull droppings the SL & RFL are in no position to set the agenda, they don't have enough parties interested enough to be dictating terms, it's a case of take what's on offer if anything and lump it.

57 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Tommy, these overseas clubs are part of the system that is the British Rugby Football League, when people join any organisation they abide by what the system is, not changing it to suit them.

But anyway please give me as I requested any logical reason why a TV company would reduce any amount of games of more interest in agreeing to abolish P&R as I described.

And if the British (actually English but anyway) Rugby Football League want to make as much money and draw as much value from them then the solution is obvious. 

Sky can still show P/R between the English teams (which is fantastic) whilst we get money from extended French and Canadian TV deals. Who loses? Nobody. Who wins? Rugby league in 3 countries.

Ps. Even the assertion that its the British RFL is dubious, its Super League.

18 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

So that we as a game can get a tv deal that generates money in france and creates a more competitive French international side.  

Short versión: For genuine expansion.

SB I have been involved on and off in French RL for a number of years to be honest its tough going however IMHO there are 2 scenarios that work.

1/Good old fashioned comp featuring traditional teams on TV (We had this 1999/2002 on Pathe Sport and 2003/2005 on Sport +) 

The TV viewing figures whilst not massive were OK and growing all the time it enabled us to pay the clubs decent money for sponsorships in the form of perimeter advertising and shirts etc (Sadly it ceased when the Dragons came in to SL)

2/Catalan Dragons/Toulouse in SL with a French TV deal which at least pays for the production.

Brilliant that the Catalan Dragons have done so well in SL and also would be great if Toulouse came in (They would certainly attract some decent sponsorship)

As for myself I do miss the old Elite 1 Monday night TV game it was such great fun made so many friends for life memories of

St Gaudens v Toulouse

Carpentras v Limoux

Pia (ANY HOME MATCH:)

Carcassonne  v Limoux 

Lyon v Villefrance 

The list goes on I could write a book of the characters I met and the fun and madness we had:)

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

This sounds excellent (the first one) but that ship maybe sailed with Catalan heading to SL. 

It would be incredible one day if France had a strong league of it's own in terms of financial support.  For now,  Toulouse and Catalán ringfenced in SL with a French Tv deal feels like an open goal we are missing.  

And on the memories, I need to put visiting a French RL game on the target list post covid. 

There is a way forward SB and that is YOU TUBE  something that is being discussed things have moved on since  then.

It is what it is and in a funny way its what makes it special I am living between a little village in Kent and a village in Catalonia (Just over the border from France ) prob 60/40 however when I am back in Catalonia (Spain) I prefer my rugby fix at places like Palau and St Esteve 🙂

15 years ago Cats were invited to take a British clubs spot in SL, and since then have been given £15m or so of British RL money. 15 years on the governing body cannot create a joined up product that is irresistible to French TV or the new Canadian market.

It should have had TO and Avignon in it, together with TW and Ottawa - it should have been an aggressive 2 division structure with 20 FT clubs showcasing a great product that meets the psychy of the Euro public via P and R.

Just now, sweaty craiq said:

15 years ago Cats were invited to take a British clubs spot in SL, and since then have been given £15m or so of British RL money. 15 years on the governing body cannot create a joined up product that is irresistible to French TV or the new Canadian market

And it won't SC until someone understands the French mentality and market place.

There are the people there that can make it work would take an effort but its worth one final push to be honest I would rather assist the Elite 1 as I find it rewarding and fun friendship wise (Maybe a sign of getting old) Toulouse is a must many don't understand that to 99% of France Perpignan is a backwater TOULOUSE NOT:)

Paul

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Recalling the fact that the BBC can't afford to pay nearly what Sky can, that automatically implies that the Championship and League 1 clubs are in for a big cut in the money they'll receive from TV rights.

The BBC could afford if it wanted to. But it wastes shed loads of money on its dark dim dramas and sleazy soap operas, and crass comedians.  The BBC could afford it, it rakes in billions and it is supposed to have a constitution to support diversity.

14 hours ago, RP London said:

to be fair hes done well then... its a Yak each... i would have expected the usual incompetence and a number that meant there would be some debate about which clubs got 2 yaks and which yak we had to saw in half... things are looking up

It’s the usual RL balls up.  12 Yaks, 11 teams.  I wonder how long it will take the SL club chairman to agree how to divide up the Torontonian Yak!

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

And if the British (actually English but anyway) Rugby Football League want to make as much money and draw as much value from them then the solution is obvious. 

Sky can still show P/R between the English teams (which is fantastic) whilst we get money from extended French and Canadian TV deals. Who loses? Nobody. Who wins? Rugby league in 3 countries.

Ps. Even the assertion that its the British RFL is dubious, its Super League.

Really?

Secondly, so you consider in a League that has different connotations of being an easy ride for some but the very real prospect of jeapordy happening for others it will run smoothly with no accusations of wrong doing or manipulating of games as the season pans out?

I never thought I would say this to you Tommy, even for your young years I consider you to be one of the more articulate posters on these pages but on this subject I consider you to be totally deluded, perhaps that is a frailty of your youth and lack of life expierence if you think that everything will be hunky dory and pass unscathed in such a bastardised system.

No hard feelings.

3 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

It’s the usual RL balls up.  12 Yaks, 11 teams.  I wonder how long it will take the SL club chairman to agree how to divide up the Torontonian Yak!

Ralph keeps that one for doing a bang up job... hes got this sorted dont you worry.. :kolobok_ph34r:

Archived