Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kev p

Catalans & Play-offs

Recommended Posts

if catalans do not get 15 games played does this automatically exclude them from the play-offs? if there position after 14 games & in a play-off position with a percentage that could afford them to lose the 15th game, i feel that they should get that place. if Covid continues to cause havoc, we could get to the stage that only 4 teams reach 15 matches. so would those 4 play off? the top team could have played 14 & the bottom team 15! this would exclude the team in top position but include the bottom placed team, which would not make sense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd agree if that was the case after 14 games. It would be sad to see them miss the playoffs because they haven't been able to play 15 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

the rule was clear I though about needing to play 15 games 

 

what if only 3 teams make 15 games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kev p said:

what if only 3 teams make 15 games?

There are already 3 who have played 15 (Warrington, Hull FC and Huddersfield)

There are another 5 who have played 14 (St. Helens, Wigan, Castleford, Hull KR and Wakefield)

Leeds and Salford on 13 and Catalans on 12.

If none of the second group play another game, I'd say we have much bigger problems than who plays in the GF.

That Catalans won't play another 3 games in the next 3 weeks is a very outside bet, but should they fail to do so, then, even if they're in the top 4 %-wise, they shouldn't qualify.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catalans play hull on Thursday and Warrington on' Monday which will hopefully take them to 14 games, when are the playoffs due to start? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, this thread looks like a re-run of parts of the one entitled  "What does the season look like from here?", so I am not sure of the point of it.

The rule about needing to play 15 games is not as clear cut as some above seem to think.  Here is the link:

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57071/-betfred-super-league--competition-update

I recommend reading it all closely to get the accurate picture which some of you currently seem to lack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saints already played weakened teams last year because they were certain of finishing top. 

We have a hectic end of season now.  So clubs, not simply Saints may play weakened teams which might affect the ladder.  And even if Cats put in the games their schedule might affect their form and cause losses.  Or the opposite might benefit Cats...

Lets face it, this season is bad enough without squeezing all these last matches. It might just be pot luck to finish in top 4.  But PLEASE superleague give our clubs a good post season so we can have a decent pre season. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kev p said:

what if only 3 teams make 15 games?

then those 3 teams play out the series although with hull having played 16 . Warrington 15, Huddersfield 15  and another 5 clubs having played 14 so far its hard to imagine most teams wont play the magic figure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catalans game against Hull postponed as Catalans announce seven positive covid tests. Five players and two members of staff

Edited by Irish Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is going to make it virtually impossible for Catalan to get to 15 (surely they cannot play midweek?) and the lack of them playing other teams will one way or another also impact the teams on the ladder.  And the effect of just giving Catalan a free pass would impact on the unfairness of some other clubs who lose a chance to beat them.

Virus issues have been getting worse, not better.  The top 4 has, as suspected, turned out to be a lottery.  Its probably too late but the regular season should be shortened by a week, the games  then scheduled sensibly to cut the max numbers to say 16, 17 or18, and just then run a top 8 knock out competition (just straight knock out, for simplicity, not like the NRL).

Its all basically pot luck so just accept it and give it a shout for the middle 4...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

It is going to make it virtually impossible for Catalan to get to 15 (surely they cannot play midweek?) and the lack of them playing other teams will one way or another also impact the teams on the ladder.  And the effect of just giving Catalan a free pass would impact on the unfairness of some other clubs who lose a chance to beat them.

Virus issues have been getting worse, not better.  The top 4 has, as suspected, turned out to be a lottery.  Its probably too late but the regular season should be shortened by a week, the games  then scheduled sensibly to cut the max numbers to say 16, 17 or18, and just then run a top 8 knock out competition (just straight knock out, for simplicity, not like the NRL).

Its all basically pot luck so just accept it and give it a shout for the middle 4...

catalans getting 15 games in now looks unlikely, changing the rules for play offs at this stage would lose credibility also. anyway 8 team knockout is far too many in an 11 team league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really bad luck on the Dragons fingers crossed for them.

My hunch would be once the SLGF is out of the way next season to start end of March a nice nearly 4 month break and dont they deserve it 🙂

 

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Catalans game against Hull postponed as Catalans announce seven positive covid tests. Five players and two members of staff

According to the local media in the Hull area, the game has been cancelled rather than postponed and is not expected to be rearranged.


Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The top 4 has, as suspected, turned out to be a lottery.  Its probably too late but the regular season should be shortened by a week, the games  then scheduled sensibly to cut the max numbers to say 16, 17 or18, and just then run a top 8 knock out competition (just straight knock out, for simplicity, not like the NRL).

 

😆 Do you do stand-up in your spare time ? One of, if not the most ludicrous suggestions ever on this board - an 8 team knockout in an 11 team league to decide the champions - Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!

Its looking like the only team who wont manage to play 15 games will be Catalans, so while many feel the competition has already been devalued by having a % system in place to suddenly switch to an 8 team knockout just to accommodate 1 team who's had Covid issues is ridiculous.

Wakefield have had just as many Covid issues as Catalans but they've played on. While they've had a few heavy beatings as a result they will manage to play 15 games. Catalans could have played some of the games that were cancelled but chose not to, so if they miss out on the play-off as a result then that's tough. They knew the rules at the re-start and rolled the dice with their choice to cancel.

  • Like 3

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

catalans due to play toronto on with catalans due play toronto on oct 29, a agme should be arranged for catalans with their date free now. it would make more sense to do so, with the format of rearranging games that were cancelled first being the criteria to be played. it would not just be a random choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

😆 Do you do stand-up in your spare time ? One of, if not the most ludicrous suggestions ever on this board - an 8 team knockout in an 11 team league to decide the champions - Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!

Its looking like the only team who wont manage to play 15 games will be Catalans, so while many feel the competition has already been devalued by having a % system in place to suddenly switch to an 8 team knockout just to accommodate 1 team who's had Covid issues is ridiculous.

Wakefield have had just as many Covid issues as Catalans but they've played on. While they've had a few heavy beatings as a result they will manage to play 15 games. Catalans could have played some of the games that were cancelled but chose not to, so if they miss out on the play-off as a result then that's tough. They knew the rules at the re-start and rolled the dice with their choice to cancel.

Who cares about the fact that there is only 11 in the league.  We have been playing silly bees for most of the season.  There is massive unfairness all around.  

And PS... its not me , but some others, who are suggesting Catalan get a free pass into the top 8.

Edited by Rupert Prince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Who cares about the fact that there is only 11 in the league.  We have been playing silly bees for most of the season.  There is massive unfairness all around.  

And PS... its not me , but some others, who are suggesting Catalan get a free pass into the top 8.

Its not unfair, every team is in the same position. In a competitive sport the right to call yourselves league champions has to be earned by how you perform on the pitch over the season.

No team who finished 8th in an 11 team league has earned the right to even compete for a place in the GF. To finish 8th and then be only 2 games away from a GF place is utterly ludicrous and makes a complete mockery of having a league in the first place.

  • Like 5

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Its not unfair, every team is in the same position. In a competitive sport the right to call yourselves league champions has to be earned by how you perform on the pitch over the season.

No team who finished 8th in an 11 team league has earned the right to even compete for a place in the GF. To finish 8th and then be only 2 games away from a GF place is utterly ludicrous and makes a complete mockery of having a league in the first place.

Tbe league is Mickey Mouse this season, so much so that one team withdrew.  Its highly likely that Warrington will not play Catalan next week, irrespective of whether Dragons players are fit, there is a curfew being imposed on Perpignan.  This is no ones fault, no doubt everyone is doing their best, but the result is absurd. Lets no one pretend that the top four is an otherwise respectable result. 

But hey ho, we have to plough on.  At least we are not as stupid as the Barbarians.  

Edited by Rupert Prince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Its not unfair, every team is in the same position. In a competitive sport the right to call yourselves league champions has to be earned by how you perform on the pitch over the season.

No team who finished 8th in an 11 team league has earned the right to even compete for a place in the GF. To finish 8th and then be only 2 games away from a GF place is utterly ludicrous and makes a complete mockery of having a league in the first place.

The system lacks credibility for me the moment you get half the league or more qualifying for play offs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Damien said:

The system lacks credibility for me the moment you get half the league or more qualifying for play offs.

Thete is no credibility in tbe NRL system then? Never mind that it makes a fortune?

There was no credibility in the old Top 16 playoff? Never mind it was to make money.

The playoffs are there because not everyone plays everyone else, home and away.  And that currently is the silly mess we are in.  

The is of course no space for an extra knock out round... rather we are running our players into the ground to squeeze the regular games in.  But this is the trouble with British Rugby League, it is hidebound.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Thete is no credibility in tbe NRL system then? Never mind that it makes a fortune?

There was no credibility in the old Top 16 playoff? Never mind it was to make money.

The playoffs are there because not everyone plays everyone else, home and away.  And that currently is the silly mess we are in.  

The is of course no space for an extra knock out round... rather we are running our players into the ground to squeeze the regular games in.  But this is the trouble with British Rugby League, it is hidebound.

Making money does not equate to credibility and this is a discussion about Super League. In a 12 team league I prefer a top 5 play off. For me its the best system with the fairest reward for performance over the season. Others may think differently and that is their perogative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...