Toulouse olympique promo video

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What’s your favourite railway station in Norfolk? I’m trying hard to think of a rugby league link to this so Harry doesn’t get upset but it’s difficult. 

Oh well that's easy, it has to be Berney Arms Station, one of the most remote in the country, no roads lead to it, closest one is miles away, can only be accessed by foot but you can get close to it by river. I think its the River Yare which has a little dock as close to the station as you can get on the river. It's a request stop and only a few hundred people use it each year. Don't know much about Berney Arms the place, I think it's just a hamlet, I'm guessing named after a pub in the hamlet maybe, unless it is just a pub in the middle of nowhere, could be, there is a lot of isolated pubs and inns in Britain after all. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Oh well that's easy, it has to be Berney Arms Station, one of the most remote in the country, no roads lead to it, closest one is miles away, can only be accessed by foot but you can get close to it by river. I think its the River Yare which has a little dock as close to the station as you can get on the river. It's a request stop and only a few hundred people use it each year. Don't know much about Berney Arms the place, I think it's just a hamlet, I'm guessing named after a pub in the hamlet maybe, unless it is just a pub in the middle of nowhere, could be, there is a lot of isolated pubs and inns in Britain after all. 

Good choice. It’s not even a hamlet, just that pub and a windmill (ie the arms). Nice walk from Yarmouth along the river, and then on to Reedham. RL related? Yes, it’s one of Darren Lockyer’s favourite walks. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Good choice. It’s not even a hamlet, just that pub and a windmill (ie the arms). Nice walk from Yarmouth along the river, and then on to Reedham. RL related? Yes, it’s one of Darren Lockyer’s favourite walks. 

Very interesting! I've never been there, just know about it from reading articles online. Is that actually true about Darren Lockyer? Another RL reference is the fact there is a train station which delivers you to a pub! After all RL fans know how to drink! Let's take Magic to Great Yarmouth! 😁

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I have never pretended to be anything other than immensely childish.

But, also, I don’t think your point is fair. Football was on this thread as a context for why Toulouse might not be a “known” in this country.

How many threads not just this one drift into Association Football quite a lot is the answer, to someone who is a supporter of that game it can create interest and is not very noticable, to someone like me who honestly can't see what all the fuss is about with football I think it should as I said be put in a place for those who want to discuss it further, away from the RL pages.

57 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What’s your favourite railway station in Norfolk? I’m trying hard to think of a rugby league link to this so Harry doesn’t get upset but it’s difficult. 

Talk about promotion and relegation of train stations, that’ll make Harry happy 😃 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Football appears a lot in threads because of its popularity in this country. Even people who do not follow football, don't support a team or particularly watch it seem to have a decent, passing, casual knowledge of the sport just from things you glance in the newspapers or hear on the news sports bulletin in passing as you live your life. I don't follow football but seem to know a bloody lot about it by accident, just from growing up in a country obsessed with the sport. You can't get away from it, it's absolutely everywhere. 

And so because so many people have a relatively decent knowledge of football it is appropriate to use references and analogies to football to highlight a point in a discussion about something else because more people will understand the reference than a reference to handball or kabaddi or something with a much more niche audience. 

Fair comment, but people also use references and analogies to highlight a point but use Union for the comparison(s) that gets a warning and is banished to a dark place that doesn't see much light, it should be the same with football.

PS, if there is one good thing from Toronto's exclusion on these pages it is the near silence of the mention of all the North American sports and other Toronto sports teams that some thought it good to compare with Rugby League usually in a financial respect, what's was all that about it had no relevance whatsoever.

Dr Beeching must have been a Norfolk man.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Fair comment, but people also use references and analogies to highlight a point but use Union for the comparison(s) that gets a warning and is banished to a dark place that doesn't see much light, it should be the same with football.

PS, if there is one good thing from Toronto's exclusion on these pages it is the near silence of the mention of all the North American sports and other Toronto sports teams that some thought it good to compare with Rugby League usually in a financial respect, what's was all that about it had no relevance whatsoever.

Also a fair comment Harry, can't disagree with any of that. 

14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well if you were creating a Super League of train stations, where do you think would get in?? 

Wymondham would definitely get in, it was Warmington-on-Sea’s station in Dad’s Army and wins plenty of awards. 

I have just google mapped this.

I think I may need help.

Norfolk station wise my list is a short one, Norwich and Hoveton & Wroxham

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I think it's great Trent supported TO but how many times does it have to be said letting TO in SL is not expansion and that's true for all the candidates whether they've made a good fist of labelling or not!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Dr Beeching must have been a Norfolk man.

Please don't mention that man makes my blood boil 😞

Beeching was an ex ICI technocrat who for us oldies is not much better than Hitler and Stalin.

He closed a lovely local  branch line down here in Kent that ran from Dunton Green to Westerham I remember it as a little boy one engine and a carriage that was it:)

We do though now through the hard work of railway enthusiasts have some really fantastic steam railways locally like the Blue Bell line (Horsted Keynes station is a gem) Kent and East Sussex from Bodium.

I remember it was always Horsted Keynes that featured in some of the old Ealing black and white comedies when the country phone was answered Horsted Keynes 727  Penelope Fulton-Smythe speaking LOL:)

Paul 

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There's name recognition but I'm not sure there's much more than that.

I think the comment that a lot of English people derive their awareness of 'foreign' based on successful or visible football teams is all too true. St Etienne would be because of the band though these days.

Toulouse FC do have a nice badge though.

Toulouse FC 2018 logo.svg

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There's name recognition but I'm not sure there's much more than that.

I think the comment that a lot of English people derive their awareness of 'foreign' based on successful or visible football teams is all too true. St Etienne would be because of the band though these days.

Toulouse FC do have a nice badge though.

Toulouse FC 2018 logo.svg

There is nothing wrong in that at all. It's a starting point especially for children, who then learn more about the town and the culture. 

It's just as viable as someone deriving their awareness of "foreign" from a book or an opera. 

16 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Please don't mention that man makes my blood boil 😞

Beeching was an ex ICI technocrat who for us oldies is not much better than Hitler and Stalin.

To be fair to Beeching (it's hard, I know), he was asked to work within extremely limited parameters when drawing up his infamous report. In a nutshell: save money, any way you can, and don't concern yourself with the consequences. 

Beeching merely recommended closures. Transport Ministers rubber-stamped them. The real villains were Ernest Marples (whose family was in the roadbuilding business; talk about a conflict of interests) and Barbara Castle (who, despite Labour pledging to slow down rail closures, ended up shutting more lines than Marples).

In some respects, British Railways, having squandered millions through the crackpot 1955 Modernisation Plan, had only itself to blame.

Despite all the line/station closures, and job cuts, the Beeching axe had barely any effect on BR's dire financial position.

*Thetford was a nice Norfolk station, until they uprooted all the semaphore signals.

*Having watched Toulouse's eye-catching promo video, I'm less confident about York's chances.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think the band (while superb) are that well known, especially among millennials? I always thought they should have been a lot bigger than they were, class act. 

St Etienne are evocative of the old European Cup for me, clubs like them, Red Star Belgrade, PSV etc who sadly can’t compete in the era of TV money and billionaire investment. 

Exactly.

That's why a club such as Red Star would be a good choice to expediate. They have the name to attract supporters.

1 minute ago, Niels said:

Exactly.

That's why a club such as Red Star would be a good choice to expediate. They have the name to attract supporters.

Agreed, the interest in them when they entered the CC was pretty big, much bigger than if it had been another Serbian side other than them or Partizan. 

50 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think it's great Trent supported TO but how many times does it have to be said letting TO in SL is not expansion and that's true for all the candidates whether they've made a good fist of labelling or not!

It’s expansion of professional RL, probably a better expression. 

14 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

To be fair to Beeching (it's hard, I know), he was asked to work within extremely limited parameters when drawing up his infamous report. In a nutshell: save money, any way you can, and don't concern yourself with the consequences. 

Beeching merely recommended closures. Transport Ministers rubber-stamped them. The real villains were Ernest Marples (whose family was in the roadbuilding business; talk about a conflict of interests) and Barbara Castle (who, despite Labour pledging to slow down rail closures, ended up shutting more lines than Marples).

In some respects, British Railways, having squandered millions through the crackpot 1955 Modernisation Plan, had only itself to blame.

Despite all the line/station closures, and job cuts, the Beeching axe had barely any effect on BR's dire financial position.

*Thetford was a nice Norfolk station, until they uprooted all the semaphore signals.

*Having watched Toulouse's eye-catching promo video, I'm less confident about York's chances.

Thanks HM aware of this, however we need a fall guy and to us railway anoraks it will always be that dreaded word BEECHING LOL:)

Paul

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mods, why can't we have a cross code section for football, there are far more references to Association Football than Union, and if Union gets brought up it gets banished pretty quickly, can you not do the same with the aberration that is football. 

And nobody tell me that people like and support Football, yes they do and there are plenty sites and platforms dedicated to it, simple go discuss it there and leave this for RL.

Apologies Harry, I do this a lot.

For me, football has been the gateway to most things in my life, so I feel comfortable using it as an analogy. 

I will try to mention it less🙂

Archived