TRL Helpdesk: Walking Boots

After several years of lightweight walking shoes and boots, I've decided I want to go back to a traditional full grain leather boots for spring/autumn & winter. As much as I like trail running shoes, they aren't really suited to deep mud for dog walking, and I also find I wear them out fairly quickly. 

Any recommendations? I've been looking online at a variety of options, but everything I've looked at so far seems to get mixed reviews for longevity and waterproofing. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I've got some leather berghaus boots. I've had them for years and hardly have a scratch on them, bit of scuffing on the toe where I've caught them on rocks but that's about it and one of my hobbies is long distance walking and mountain hiking. 50 miles in 3 days in Northern Ireland last year, 7 mountain peaks, that's when I scuffed them. By scuff I mean a few scratches, a couple quite deep, don't know exactly how I did it, but it hasn't affected the boots at all. I walk hundreds of miles a year in them and there is very little wear on the soles and grip. 

When it comes to heavy duty boots, cost does make a difference. Mine cost £95 in a sale, I think they are actually £130 boots, I've had cheap boots before and ripped my feet to shreds. I will never buy cheap boots again in my life. Start your search around the £100 mark, you can go a bit under but have that as your starting point. Berghaus is my recommendation. 

Start trawling websites for discounted end-of-line footwear from trusted brands. It'll be just as good as the latest model, but sellers will be eager to shift the old stock. Same with most consumer goods.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

As a long-time mountain walker, the best advice I can give is to go to a shop where you are able to try on various pairs of boots and be served by someone who knows the walking boots they stock and can point you toward brands that may be suitable for your feet. Therefore, I travel an hour to George Fisher's in Keswick for walking boots.

Everyone's feet are different and there are slight differences in fit in each major brands of walking boots. I have narrow heels, so Salomon and Asolo are brands that have boots that are more likely to be comfy. Also a Salomon size 8 will be a touch smaller in size than a Berghaus 8 for example

You are going to have the things on your feet for hours at a time, so its essential that they fit correctly. Buying off the internet to save a few quid is asking for trouble IMO. 

Any decent walking shop will spend time with you finding the right boots, and some will take them back after a couple of walks if they really aren't working for you

Leather boots can take longer to wear in and aren't essential for wet or winter walking. 3/4 season Gore-tex boots that are a combination of man made materials will do the job and will be just as waterproof

Take the walking socks that you are likely to wear walking on the day along with to help get the fit correct

Brands I'd recommend - Asolo, Berghaus, Salomon and Meindl. If you find boots in a sale less than £100 it'll be a bargain. I'd say starting at £120

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

As a long-time mountain walker, the best advice I can give is to go to a shop where you are able to try on various pairs of boots and be served by someone who knows the walking boots they stock and can point you toward brands that may be suitable for your feet. Therefore, I travel an hour to George Fisher's in Keswick for walking boots.

Everyone's feet are different and there are slight differences in fit in each major brands of walking boots. I have narrow heels, so Salomon and Asolo are brands that have boots that are more likely to be comfy. Also a Salomon size 8 will be a touch smaller in size than a Berghaus 8 for example

You are going to have the things on your feet for hours at a time, so its essential that they fit correctly. Buying off the internet to save a few quid is asking for trouble IMO. 

Any decent walking shop will spend time with you finding the right boots, and some will take them back after a couple of walks if they really aren't working for you

Leather boots can take longer to wear in and aren't essential for wet or winter walking. 3/4 season Gore-tex boots that are a combination of man made materials will do the job and will be just as waterproof

Take the walking socks that you are likely to wear walking on the day along with to help get the fit correct

Brands I'd recommend - Asolo, Berghaus, Salomon and Meindl. If you find boots in a sale less than £100 it'll be a bargain. I'd say starting at £120

^

|

|

|

|

What he said.

As a Podiatrist I cannot emphasise enough the importance of getting the right fit.

I always ask my patients what size shoes they wear. I can count on one hand how many actually know.

They all know the length. When I ask them the width I am faced with blank looks. I can tell by the corns on their toes that the third dimension the height is never considered either.

For men the height is of less importance especially in boots as the toe box is higher.

A good Clarke's shop will measure your feet by width as well as by length but I don't know that even they do not sell in width sizes.

Italian shoes are made on narrower lasts than English so that might be a consideration.

The advice above about buying from a a good shop is sound. Wear socks similar to those you will wear on the hill and take in to account that your feet will swell after a days walking.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, shaun mc said:

That is very good advice in my opinion. I can't comment on Asolo or Berghaus footwear (though I have had plenty of other Berghaus gear which I'd recommend) but Salomon and Meindl boots I have had have been superb, including trekking in them for several days.

If you were going to the trouble of travelling to Keswick, in addition to George Fisher, another shop I have had good experience of was Keswick Boot Co which isn't far from George Fisher

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Thanks for all your comments. 

It's some years since I've had leather boots, however my experience of man made with goretex or similar liner isn't great, with life expectancy being 6-12 months in average before they are no longer watertight, and in some cases are just falling apart. Brands tried include Salomon, Adidas, Meindl, and I'm currently trying Hi-Tec as a cheap alternative given the lifespans of more expensive brands.

Innov8 have been the only footwear that had lasted as expected, however I've never had anything waterproof from them. My last heavier boots were Scarpa, which were OK, but again didn't last much more than a couple of years before leaking badly. 

I'm hopeful that leather boots if properly looked after will offer better water resistance if treated properly, as well as offering better scope for re-soling if required. 

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

41 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

A recommendation for leather boots from a mate is Alt-Berg

They have a factory shop in Yorkshire and he goes to Castleberg Outdoors in Settle for his size 14's

That's one of the options I'm considering. 😉 Happy to pay a premium for quality, not happy to pay a premium just for a name. 

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

I use Keen boots and shoes, primarily as they have a nice wide toe box.  

But as has been said, what boots work for me, might ruin your feet!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I went to a shop in Keswick as I wanted some boots rather than the shoes. It was an independent shop. I tried all the different brands and couldn't find a suitable pair. They suggested Alt Berg and a custom made last. I haven't gone for that.

I also have narrow heels and the Salomon brand are the best for me. Having slightly different sized feet doesn't help.

I wouldn't buy on line without trying the brands either.

Another consideration leather vs non-leather is weight - can be up to 200g per boot. On a long day that can make a difference.

Non-leather boots need to be cleaned to stop the mud n stuff eating away at the Gore-Tex membrane, which will shorten its life. Then use a waterproof spray from Nikwax or Graingers after cleaning them

IMO its very difficult to be truly waterproof. Rain and moisture will get in somehow.. Once the insole is wet, thats it for the day

On 18/11/2020 at 13:48, gazza77 said:

That's one of the options I'm considering. 😉 Happy to pay a premium for quality, not happy to pay a premium just for a name. 

I've got a pair of altbergs and they are great. If you are after a visit to a shop which will do a full fitting and also do insoles then there is one is Marsden that I would recommend. I think it is called mountain feet. He really knows he stuff about both feet and the outdoors.

Archived