The NRL should invest in French Rugby League NOT Super League

I actually don't think SL Clubs will agree to the NRL having a majority stake in the competition, why do I think that? The NRL will want the ability to shape the direction of the competition, I see that clashing with the self interests of the clubs. 

Unfortunately we're at a stage in the history of UK RL where the interests of clubs outweigh the health of the competition. 

The NRL will get better value and cooperation from the French game. In my view they should invest in a French league instead, there's plenty of potential there.

With the reported £75 million they are said to be investing in SL they could buy tv coverage in France on a major station, say 2 live games a week for several years and fund a couple of teams in a pro league. 

16 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I actually don't think SL Clubs will agree to the NRL having a majority stake in the competition, why do I think that? The NRL will want the ability to shape the direction of the competition, I see that clashing with the self interests of the clubs. 

Unfortunately we're at a stage in the history of UK RL where the interests of clubs outweigh the health of the competition. 

The NRL will get better value and cooperation from the French game. In my view they should invest in a French league instead, there's plenty of potential there.

With the reported £75 million they are said to be investing in SL they could buy tv coverage in France on a major station, say 2 live games a week for several years and fund a couple of teams in a pro league. 

Which pro league ?

@The Daddy i think the passion in your post is there and I love the romantic side of the suggestion, but I don’t see the NRL getting a return on investment in the French game.

I think you would sooner find the NRL looking to buy out NZRL, PNGRL and all the other Pacific nations before any purchase of France before SL.

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Agree 

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

@The Daddy i think the passion in your post is there and I love the romantic side of the suggestion, but I don’t see the NRL getting a return on investment in the French game.

I think you would sooner find the NRL looking to buy out NZRL, PNGRL and all the other Pacific nations before any purchase of France before SL.

The NRL would get a much better return by investing in a 2nd or even 3rd NRL franchise in New Zealand with the Wellington orcas and Christchurch bulls.

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Do you see the NRL getting a return on investment in the English game, because I sure don't.

55 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Do you see the NRL getting a return on investment in the English game, because I sure don't.

It depends on what the investment is actually in and the terms of said investment

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

If it was based on bang for bucks would make sense

I have been saying for ages that considering what the French clubs are up against and being based mainly in small towns and villages the number of quality players they have produced over the years is staggering.

With some money from the NRL it would certainly be fantastic for them.

Paul

So, let me get this straight, the NRL shouldn’t invest in Super League, which is populated by small provincial towns and apparent “small attitudes” depending your views on Toronto and Leigh but they should invest in Elite 1 Rugby League in France, which is populated by small provincial towns, which would almost certainly lead to calls of “small attitudes” towards the NRL?

I think this whole idea that NRL is this messiah that is suddenly going to lead us all to the promised land has now gone a bit too far.  Some of the most vocal advocates of them taking over SL, have been the same people rubbishing them for as long as I can remember.  But the whole Wolfpack saga suddenly flipped a switch inside them and a lot seem to have done a 180 degree turn.

16 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If they made a European Super League and franchised it,  maybe.  Problem is that NRL may not appreciate that to grow the game they need an international europe competition (a rl six nations) so that would mean spending money up front to build a stadium in Wales and one other country. 

The franchises would all have to be in big cities too, so none of the current clubs could be included because with (maybe) one exception none of them are in the right locations to be able to generate the necessary revenues.

21 hours ago, The Daddy said:

So basically pi$$ money up against a wall?

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

I think they would not be throwing out Wigan St Helens or clubs with healthy crowds,  you dont grow a sport by killing them but I can see they would have London locked in,  probably Newcastle and would certainly get a team in the  city of Manchester. 

You wouldn't throw anyone out of the league they are in.  You'd form a whole new league instead with the franchises strategically located to maximize the value of the TV rights, sponsorship, etc.

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

I get that, and Saints/Wigan would still be in because you still need these big traditional teams whilst you grow it in Manchester for example. Were would the 3rd French team be to get back on topic. 

What makes you think that anyone in Manchester rates St Helens or Wigan as a visiting team worth their time and money to go and watch any more than Londoners do?

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

A fair point but I don't think you would lock those out until you had built the Manchester vs London or London vs Newcastle up to levels that surpass or match what Wigan and St Helens bring in. 

You can't include them for the simple reason that they'd inhibit building up those Manchester vs London, London vs Newcastle and other rivalries to the level necessary to attract big money from TV partners and sponsors.  You'd need to build those up before the first match is played and then go on from there.

58 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Heard a bit of chasing kangaroos yesterday and I dont believe that SOO or World Club Challenge really are these events that have purchase outside of where the game is already strong.  It's internationals we need and expansion should be targeted to build international teams to create something viable.  A couple of million to build a real home for Welsh RL would give us a chance to build a viable 4 nations tournament every single non World Cup year.  

I think the 4 Nations every year would be amazing.... Same time each year 

One of the few times RL gets advertised outside pubs here in Luton was fir the old 4 Nations games...

Wed piggy back off a familiar idea from union and get some traction after a few times doing it

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Heard a bit of chasing kangaroos yesterday and I dont believe that SOO or World Club Challenge really are these events that have purchase outside of where the game is already strong.  It's internationals we need and expansion should be targeted to build international teams to create something viable.  A couple of million to build a real home for Welsh RL would give us a chance to build a viable 4 nations tournament every single non World Cup year.  

The WCC, at least in the UK, still has significant pull. But its going backwards and needs to show ambition. 

The international game is absolutely ripe for PE.

Archived