And now the news where you are.

On 24/11/2022 at 03:39, Farmduck said:

Today I learned that the English English keyboard exists. No, that's not a typo. Before today I had always used an American English keyboard, not knowing about the English English version.

It was only through installing a Windows partition on my machine that I encountered the setup option of Choose Keyboard. Since I had always chosen English English - as opposed to American English for things like spell check - I assumed I had been using English English keys all along.

The only difference I've found thus far is that " and @ are swapped. Having @ right next to the Shift key does seem very convenient but it sacrifices the obvious  move of having ' and " on the same key.

I didn't know about different keyboards until I started spending a lot of time in Germany. It took a long time to get used to a Qwertz keyboard as opposed to a Qwerty one. If I remember rightly the Z and Y swap was the only at least in terms of the letters but my God, it took some learning when you can touch type on a Qwerty keyboard. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I didn't know about different keyboards until I started spending a lot of time in Germany. It took a long time to get used to a Qwertz keyboard as opposed to a Qwerty one. If I remember rightly the Z and Y swap was the only at least in terms of the letters but my God, it took some learning when you can touch type on a Qwerty keyboard. 

At work, we have a certain part of our software that works on a remote desktop. Every now and then the settings get updated or altered by the operators and occasionally they switch the keyboard settings to USA so the time I next log in and try to enter an email address I get the wrong character instead of @, after it being perfectly fine on my own desktop with the same keyboard hardware.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Researchers from two Queensland Universities have published a study showing that the drunker you get, the less likely you are to realise how drunk you are.

I've already nominated them for the "No ship, Sherlock" Awards for 2022

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

Not a headline you see every day 

Dog shoots owner dead

I had to find that story to see the circumstances. Very sad but one line caught my attention: "The Police took the dog into custody." Why? And charged him with what, exactly? I guess they mean that it was out in the bush somewhere so somebody had to get the dog home.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/firefighters-sent-rescue-seagull-frozen-7926700

Oh my God! I am literally laughing my hole off at this! 🤣🤣🤣

Quote of the year: "And we all wonder why this country has gone to s**t. What a waste of money. 1 man and an air rifle would have been the better option." 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• 2 weeks later...

A walrus appears in Scarborough, causing cancellation of New Year fireworks. And not only that...

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

A tragic story but I think the Dull Daily Wail headline could have been better...

"Bride-to-be, 24, dies days after proposal after using wrong spoon to stir her tea"

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/bride-be-24-dies-days-8059935

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Classic local news! I stuck BBC Look North on to see if there is any new information about the murder investigation in Market Weighton and the top story, TOP story, is a bloke from Bridlington has flown to Turkey to get his teeth fixed. There has been a murder but that is bumped for a bloke getting his teeth fixed! 😂

Well, there's that, at least.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...