More positive news from Nottinghamshire

Bassetlaw Bulldogs RLFC, in their 3rd year of existence as a Junior RL Club, are working with their local council to build a pavilion on their home ground. They have managed to find £160k of funding, including £15k from the RLWC2021 Legacy Fund and £60k from Sport England. Additional funding from the District and Parish Councils means the funding target is only a couple of thousand quid short of the anticipated cost of the project. Building work will begin in the coming few weeks on the building which houses two changing rooms, a small communal area, a referees room, kitchen and toilets.

The building comes on the back of the replacement of a former football pitch with a rugby league pitch, with a new set of posts. 

The club plans to run teams at U7,U9, U11 and U13s in the coming season, whenever that might be, with strong numbers already registered at each age group.

It has also been brilliant that the likes of Phil Clarke and Bill Arthur made time to appear on the club's virtual awards evening, offering the club a huge boost. Bill voiced over the season report and Phil sent a video message of congratulations to everyone involved.

May be an image of outdoors

681717326_Barneytackle.jpg.7af026e4dd9b5263abb87b0ac13398ad.jpg

102754700_885229028628357_6713309981325656064_n.jpg.9566116a9c47f2f62dde2c93543f83e1.jpg

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 37

Great story, please keep us up to date about any developments in your part of the world? 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Got a link mate? 

I use an app on my phone but it looks like they can be found here - Jan 26th https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/13-pro-am-community-rl-show-13-pro-am-CLXx-9ZHwi3/#episodes

They make an interesting point that it’s not difficult to get kids in Nottingham along, but finding local teams to play against which is the issue. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Great news. Is there a men’s team in the Worksop area for these lads to progress onto when they get older @Northern Eel?

The plan is to take the U13s through to U16s and establish an open age side for them to begin to feed into at the right time. Essentially, it’s the main reason for building from the bottom up.  No reliance on, or competition from, any other sport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I use an app on my phone but it looks like they can be found here - Jan 26th https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/13-pro-am-community-rl-show-13-pro-am-CLXx-9ZHwi3/#episodes

They make an interesting point that it’s not difficult to get kids in Nottingham along, but finding local teams to play against which is the issue. 

We’ve not had any problem getting fixtures, funnily enough, but then the vast, vast majority of our players don’t play other sports during the RL season so our season spans 7 uninterrupted months. We’re a leisurely 45 mins from Nottingham. 

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'll give that a listen thanks. The fact that they have their own ground and based in a major UK city is a big plus. 

6 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

We’ve not had any problem getting fixtures, funnily enough, but then the vast, vast majority of our players don’t play other sports during the RL season so our season spans 7 uninterrupted months. We’re a leisurely 45 mins from Nottingham. 

I guess for kids and their families that’s a fair trek for a game though, and are most of your games North of Worksop too? 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I guess for kids and their families that’s a fair trek for a game though, and are most of your games North of Worksop too? 

No. Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottingham, Bolsover, Immingham, over in West Midlands too etc. All over the place really. We’ve got great buy in from parents, who travel in good numbers. 

This link to our fixtures (Covid permitting) gives a flavour of our season. https://bassetlawbulldogs.co.uk/fixtures-and-results

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

No. Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottingham, Bolsover, Immingham, over in West Midlands too etc. All over the place really. We’ve got great buy in from parents, who travel in good numbers. 

This link to our fixtures (Covid permitting) gives a flavour of our season. https://bassetlawbulldogs.co.uk/fixtures-and-results

Great work mate. You`re making a lot of little Rugby League fans for life.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

Immingham is a fair trek 😁. It’s a real bug bear of mine that the Hull clubs haven’t spread their wings into North Lincolnshire.........there really should be a cluster of clubs there. 

Didn’t know there was a club in Mansfield these days, do you have any more info?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Immingham is a fair trek 😁. It’s a real bug bear of mine that the Hull clubs haven’t spread their wings into North Lincolnshire.........there really should be a cluster of clubs there. 

Didn’t know there was a club in Mansfield these days, do you have any more info?

Sherwood Wolf Hunt? They play in the Challenge Cup too.

• Like 3

On 09/02/2021 at 20:55, Northern Eel said:

Bassetlaw Bulldogs RLFC, in their 3rd year of existence as a Junior RL Club, are working with their local council to build a pavilion on their home ground. They have managed to find £160k of funding, including £15k from the RLWC2021 Legacy Fund and £60k from Sport England. Additional funding from the District and Parish Councils means the funding target is only a couple of thousand quid short of the anticipated cost of the project. Building work will begin in the coming few weeks on the building which houses two changing rooms, a small communal area, a referees room, kitchen and toilets.

The building comes on the back of the replacement of a former football pitch with a rugby league pitch, with a new set of posts. 

The club plans to run teams at U7,U9, U11 and U13s in the coming season, whenever that might be, with strong numbers already registered at each age group.

It has also been brilliant that the likes of Phil Clarke and Bill Arthur made time to appear on the club's virtual awards evening, offering the club a huge boost. Bill voiced over the season report and Phil sent a video message of congratulations to everyone involved.

May be an image of outdoors

681717326_Barneytackle.jpg.7af026e4dd9b5263abb87b0ac13398ad.jpg

102754700_885229028628357_6713309981325656064_n.jpg.9566116a9c47f2f62dde2c93543f83e1.jpg

More of this please !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Quite agree - defo both Hull clubs should have spread the word into Lincolnshire

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

This. Remove  hull and Lincolnshire and replace them with st helens&warrington with Merseyside or wigan and north/central Lancashire.

Its RL all over.

If Saints had a spare £100m to chuck at it I still wouldn’t advise them to try to crack Liverpool. 

• Like 3