Powell OUT??

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, OMEGA said:

In a long coaching career he’s won nothing of significance and has a terrible record in big games when it matters!

8 of those years he's been at one of the worst resourced Super League clubs with some of, if not the worst facilities in the league and despite losing his star players and consistently having to rebuild his squad he's led his teams to more finals, semi finals and playoffs than every other club outside the big 4 in his tenure establishing them as a force on the field in the League.

I think he knows he's done as much as he can with Cas. 

25 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

Powell has undoubtedly done great things on limited budgets at Cas, and seems to be a very good coach... yet if the Wire rumours are true, I find it surprising. The thing that Warrington need is to get over the line - there have been 4 GFs now, but no trophy, so what Wire really need is a proven winner of a coach. Brian Mac and Shaun Wane seemingly both available for a club job next season, and both very much proven winners, the guys that deliver the big trophies. I'm surprised if Wire have gone for Powell and not one of those two.

I agree I don't think Powell is the right man for Warrington to get them over the line. He's improved Cas since taking over but ultimately always seems to come up short when it matters, and thats Warrington's problem as well.

Wire need a coach who will bring that winning mentality and not just continue the 'nearly men' mentality they currently have.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

15 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Hes regarded as a huge failure by Featherstone fans!

During his tenure he had the money and players which should have seen him win promotion to SL or at least take the minor cup comp but he did neither. He has a terrible record in ‘Must Win’ games even when the odds are in his favour.

Perfect fit for Warrington then!

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I dunno. I’m not aware of what’s coming through at Wire but Ratchford will be 33 this summer, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them sign Evalds as his successor at FB. 

Is he on a 1 year deal at Cas too?

I am amused... what do some mean by big games.

I assume they mean finals, as surely to get to finals a team must have won big games on the way, namely semi's or other.  I guess for instance if I take saints for a long time they lost grand finals for a number of years, I'm guessing they have a record of losing big games in that period, ignoring the big games they won to get to the final of course.

19 minutes ago, muckymunksy said:

New he was off wire few week ago.

Evalds Trueman and Oneil will all be at wire next season. 

I wouldn't be so sure on Evalds. Before deciding to sign for Cas he spoke with Saints (well his manager did) but at the time was told they had no room for him for 2021 because Coote was still under contract. He was told that if Coote retires at the end of the season then Saints will offer him a contract, hence why he only chose to sign a 1Yr deal at Cas so he's free to leave.

He may end up at Wire but Saints is his first choice, but it all depends on Coote's retirement (or I guess if Wire decide to throw silly money at him to sign for them instead).

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

28 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Genuine question

Throughout his long coaching career, what has he won?

Not much, but he’s had Cas punching well above their weight most seasons. It’s easier to win trophies at big clubs. 

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I dunno. I’m not aware of what’s coming through at Wire but Ratchford will be 33 this summer, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them sign Evalds as his successor at FB. 

Maybe, I'd like to see them try and develop Ashton into his replacement though as I think he is a bit wasted on the wing. 

There's so many positives about his coaching - he improves players, the culture within the squad is brilliant. I really enjoyed the style that we played with. Don't forget Ryan Sheridan in this too - he does just as much as Powell.

But there is this questions about finals. His record at Featherstone was questionable on this:

1. League title 2010, 11, 12
  2. 1 Grand final win / 3
  3. 1 NRC Final Loss (11) & lost in the dying minutes of the semis in 10 & golden point in 12.
  4. 1 European Cup Win ✌️

He can build a very a solid, workman like team. 

I thought after Castleford, he might go to a team like Hull, Huddersfield.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I am amused... what do some mean by big games.

I assume they mean finals, as surely to get to finals a team must have won big games on the way, namely semi's or other.  I guess for instance if I take saints for a long time they lost grand finals for a number of years, I'm guessing they have a record of losing big games in that period, ignoring the big games they won to get to the final of course.

Yup, it's a similar point I made a few weeks back about Wire. We've knocked Saints out in a couple of big semi finals now - ultimately we just lost a few close games due to 80m rugby reasons IMHO. 

3 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

There's so many positives about his coaching - he improves players, the culture within the squad is brilliant. I really enjoyed the style that we played with. Don't forget Ryan Sheridan in this too - he does just as much as Powell.

But there is this questions about finals. His record at Featherstone was questionable on this:

2. 1 Grand final win / 3
  3. 1 NRC Final Loss (11) & lost in the dying minutes of the semis in 10 & golden point in 12.
  4. 1 European Cup Win ✌️

League title 2010, 11, 12 chris FEV came top four years on a row  2010, 11, 12, 13 then powell left

51 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You do realise that for most of his Featherstone tenure, promotion was decided by licensing and Powell did his part (winning onfield to be allowed to apply for promotion), don’t you? 

It was all Licensing while Powell was at Featherstone. We did lose 2 Grand Finals and won 1. Won 3 League Leaders Sheilds. Lost a Northern Rail Final and a couple of Semi Finals. Beat Castleford and run Wigan close in the Challenge Cup as well, and we played good Football along the way, so no complaints from me.

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

2. 1 Grand final win / 3
  4. 1 European Cup Win ✌️

He lost a Challenge Cup Final to Bradford, who won the clean sweep that year and to Leeds, who were in their golden period and lost to Leeds in a Grand Final as the curtain came down on that golden generation. 

I think it’s harsh to say he’s a poor record in finals when he’s really overachieved to get to Finals and went in to all three he’s coached in as the underdogs (certainly while at Cas, maybe to a lesser extent while at Leeds). 

A microcosm of the sport of rugby league.

The theatre of the absurd gets bizarrererer and bizarrerer.

What if Warrington get of to a poor start and it really has been arranged for Powell to be their head coach? What about reserve team coaches and Academy coaches if the new head coaches want their own staff? 

No other 'elite' league,in any sport,that I am aware of,has started a new campaign with 2 head coaches, in the same small league,announcing they are leaving.

The ramifications are huge - particularly for a large number of players.

I can only think it would have been so different if a certain individual could have conformed to the law of the land...as the mentally and physically debilitating result,and the time to rebuild another successful side,seems to have taken affect.

I can't see 2021 ending well for Warrington or Castleford.

Bizarre situation, whether Powell is destined for Warrington or not...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

In a long coaching career he’s won nothing of significance and has a terrible record in big games when it matters!

Except of course 4 (and a half) of the trophies Fev have won in the past quarter of a century or just over.

Archived