Jump to content

Manchester


Recommended Posts

Relocate Salford Red Devil’s to Salford city Fc ground and swinton lions to the Manchester regional arena.

Id also look to try and kick-start a grassroots expansion programme within the greater Manchester area like what the Newcastle thunder are currently doing targeting areas like Tameside, Trafford borough and gorton etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, The Frying Scotsman said:

A good mate of mine has lived in Sale for about 20 years. He and his family all absolutely consider it as Manchester. And, having visited him a good few times, so would I. I suspect the majority of the residents do as well. 

Just play actually in the city of Manchester out of the MRA with great transport links for the whole city and Tameside. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Id also look to try and kick-start a grassroots expansion programme within the greater Manchester area like what the Newcastle thunder are currently doing targeting areas like Tameside, Trafford borough and gorton etc.

Trafford..... Like where Sale is you mean?

Where Swinton plays??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Rowan said:

Can I throw in a brief history of one attempt to launch a community club carrying the Manchester name?  After 15 reasonably successful years as members of the Pennine League under the title of Tameside Brough, playing at Droylsden (about four miles from the city centre (and barely one from the current Etihad set-up) we were invited by the new Summer Conference (soon to be National League Three) to change our name to Manchester and  apply for membership. At a meeting in the Ramada Hotel off Deansgate, Manchester Knights were born in 1997. Our home ground in the first year was Aldwinians RUFC and our first match, against Wolverhampton Wizards, was show on Boots 'n' All and drew a crowd of some 3 to 400. Unfortunately it was a one-sided game and for that I got a rollocking from the League because it supposedly showed the new league in a bad light.

After a year we moved in with Oldham RUFC at Manor Park but that did not go down too well either and we were instructed to leave Oldham by the League because Oldham was not a "development" area. From there we moved to Dukinfield RU (about three miles away) and stayed there for two years before eventually ending up at Ashton on Mersey. Interest faded fast, players found other things to do and in the end the whole thing folded despite the best efforts of some committee members.

S in the space of five yeas and four homes the Knights had gone, Tameside Borough  which occasionally ran two open age teams and Under 16sand under 13s (helped by Mike Ford) was a name of the past.

Sad but as chairman, that was my memory of attempts to to make Manchester a name in Rugby League.

On this I would just say that the metro and MRA did not exist in the past. Having a team called Manchester not playing in the city of manchester is always going to be a non starter. Also, you note the constant bane of so many teams and that is constantly moving around. The MRA can be made into a home with a well funded RL side as the main tenant with no one else seemingly having a use for it. 

If the RFL is going to base itself there it would make no sense not to try and kick start a new project for the game. 

Edited by ShropshireBull
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

On this I would just say that the metro and MRA did not exist in the past. Having a team called Manchester not playing in the city of manchester is always going to be a non starter. Also, you note the constant bane of so many teams and that is constantly moving around. The MRA can be made into a home with a well funded RL side as the main tenant with no one else seemingly having a use for it. 

If the RFL is going to base itself their it would make no sense not to try and kick start a new project for the game. 

This to me would be stating the obvious and a no-brainer but unfortunately we are talking about the RFL here.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

So again it´s Sale and not Manchester. 

You are right it is Sale.

But Sale which as you will know comes under the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford,granted not the city of Manchester(though that was the plan back in 1966)but has a Manchester postcode.

 And let’s not forget that Manchester United play under the same boundaries of Trafford.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I was for that move but only if the lions moved to the stadium were the Manchester rangers played out of.

changing the name of swinton lions to Manchester lions whilst still based in Salford was/is pointless unless you move lock, stock and barrel to Manchester permanently.

I think had it have happened they could have still played at Sale,after all it has a Manchester post code even if it does come under the boundaries of Trafford Council.I heard that had this have happened,Sale FC were very much on board and I was advised that Heywood Road might have been able to get some refurbishment work done stadium wise.

Maybe had it have happened then possibly the Manchester Arena would have been an eventual destination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

You are right it is Sale.

But Sale which as you will know comes under the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford,granted not the city of Manchester(though that was the plan back in 1966)but has a Manchester postcode.

 And let’s not forget that Manchester United play under the same boundaries of Trafford.

Fair enough, it isn´t a central location though so you´ve immediately cut off potential for a significant proportion of people to get there. A ´Manchester´team needs to be based in the centre and with that stadium empty, it should be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fair enough, it isn´t a central location though so you´ve immediately cut off potential for a significant proportion of people to get there. A ´Manchester´team needs to be based in the centre and with that stadium empty, it should be. 

Personally I don’t particularly disagree with you.The Manchester Regional Arena in fairness would have been a good location(one day)had the rebrand have happened.

Again had the rebrand have happened I would personally have wanted any stadium to be within the borders of Trafford,ideally perhaps near the Trafford Centre.

We will probably never know what it would have been like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Personally I don’t particularly disagree with you.The Manchester Regional Arena in fairness would have been a good location(one day)had the rebrand have happened.

Again had the rebrand have happened I would personally have wanted any stadium to be within the borders of Trafford,ideally perhaps near the Trafford Centre.

We will probably never know what it would have been like.

Well I know we shouldnt hold our breath for much but perhaps post World cup the rfl might hatch a plan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Salford City FC, are based in postcode M27, traditionally the postcode of Swinton & Pendlebury, so if anyone is going to ground share with Shelf foured in should be Swinton Lions RLFC, but Salford Council don't want us in the City, and have blocked every attempt to engage with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Johnoco said:

In the late 90's/early 00's I'm pretty sure Sale briefly rebranded themselves as Manchester Sale.

 

There was an better RU rebranding at the time, equally best forgotten, of the "NEC Harlequins of London".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/07/2021 at 15:37, Robthegasman said:

after all it has a Manchester post code

These are done by the post office aren't they?

I know they certainly didn't ask most of the people who live outside of Manchester limits and gave them one anyway.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

These are done by the post office aren't they?

I know they certainly didn't ask most of the people who live outside of Manchester limits and gave them one anyway.

Believe it or not but the original plan back in 1966 with the Redcliffe-Maud report was to put most of what is now Trafford(except for Altrincham) and what is now Salford,which includes Swinton under The city of Manchester.

But then of course the Tories won the election in 1970 and they scrapped that plan and instead decided on what is now Greater Manchester 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Robthegasman said:

Believe it or not but the original plan back in 1966 with the Redcliffe-Maud report was to put most of what is now Trafford(except for Altrincham) and what is now Salford,which includes Swinton under The city of Manchester.

But then of course the Tories won the election in 1970 and they scrapped that plan and instead decided on what is now Greater Manchester 

Another indication that the political parties are simply twins seperated at birth.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Salford City FC, are based in postcode M27, traditionally the postcode of Swinton & Pendlebury, so if anyone is going to ground share with Shelf foured in should be Swinton Lions RLFC, but Salford Council don't want us in the City, and have blocked every attempt to engage with them.

Moor Lane is M7, not M27.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Maybe, but the other side of Littleton Road is where Swinton want to build a stadium, and have been constantly refused, is in M27

Should be a discussion between Salford and Swinton about how the next ground move could save both with a ground share. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How dare anyone build anything on Littleton Road playing fields? Hallowed ground that saw me every Wednesday afternoon getting whacked during school weekly sports. 

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."

JohnM - 17/01/2023

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...