V’landys Faces NRLs Biggest Test: Blowout Scores (Merged threads)

35 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

NRL is doing and will continue to do fine. This thread was started by someone who spent years telling us we were doomed because Australian Rules was going to conquer the region. 

Yes he is a fumbleball fan and a union fan. His comments overall are not those of a TGG of all fan

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

How’s union going over there champ? Troll.

Lets never forget that there isn't a single professional or semi professional fumbleball club outside of Australia and rides on the back of Cricket as without Crickets grounds there wouldn't be a fumbleball game

49 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Not once. Just because I like to set the record straight when people feed the rest of the forum with AFL falsehoods, does not mean ever that I have said anything about AFL conquering any region - let alone any region you may be alluding to.

I think it’s a pity you don’t have better ways of filling your time. 

I'm in two minds about the blowout scores we see this year in the NRL.

While I prefer to watch games that go down to the wire, overall I am enjoying the NRL much more than I was a few years ago when the games were inundated with penalties... 25 or 30 a game. A few times I would turn the game off because it never even got started. I haven't come close to that this year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

58 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Lets never forget that there isn't a single professional or semi professional fumbleball club outside of Australia and rides on the back of Cricket as without Crickets grounds there wouldn't be a fumbleball game

The Aussies didn’t have an Empire, that’s why Aussie Rules ain’t played outside Aus. Both rugby codes (to all intents and purposes) are British commonwealth games 

And in regards to the cricket comment, doesn’t Aussie Rules have the highest crowds in Aus? If so, they more than anyone merit the use of municipal stadiums.

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The average winning margin in NRL as far as I recall, has never been larger which is currently > 18 points.

Maybe someone will correct me, however, the blowouts in 2021 are getting bigger. The average margin of victory in the first three matches of this weekend’s round is 37.

It would appear that the competitiveness of teams - what was once the NRLs proud strength - has swiftly eroded into a two horse race for the NRL Premiership.

Watch the fans and advertisers disappear if that continues.

Over to you Peter.

Over to the Australian forum...

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

You do realise cricket grounds have and continue to play a large part in Rugby League to.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

You do realise cricket grounds have and continue to play a large part in Rugby League to.

They are used more for novelty/nostalgia factor than anything else. Unless a match is played outside Qld or NSW, then yes, it is done out of necessity. 

15 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The average winning margin in NRL as far as I recall, has never been larger which is currently > 18 points.

Maybe someone will correct me, however, the blowouts in 2021 are getting bigger. The average margin of victory in the first three matches of this weekend’s round is 37.

It would appear that the competitiveness of teams - what was once the NRLs proud strength - has swiftly eroded into a two horse race for the NRL Premiership.

Over to you Peter.

How’s the planning going for the Aussie Rules World Cup champ?  Troll.

17 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Over to you Peter.

No scums total no brainer

8 hours ago, DC77 said:

The Aussies didn’t have an Empire, that’s why Aussie Rules ain’t played outside Aus. Both rugby codes (to all intents and purposes) are British commonwealth games 

And in regards to the cricket comment, doesn’t Aussie Rules have the highest crowds in Aus? If so, they more than anyone merit the use of municipal stadiums.

The US didn't have an empire, but Baseball and Basketball are played all over he world with professional and semi professional leagues

47 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The US didn't have an empire, but Baseball and Basketball are played all over he world with professional and semi professional leagues

All over ? 

7 hours ago, langpark said:

They are used more for novelty/nostalgia factor than anything else. Unless a match is played outside Qld or NSW, then yes, it is done out of necessity. 

Like I’ve already posted,cricket ovals have played a huge part in both RL & AFL and the continued use of the SCG and Origin games at the MCG,Adelaide Oval & Perth continues that link

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'm in two minds about the blowout scores we see this year in the NRL.

While I prefer to watch games that go down to the wire, overall I am enjoying the NRL much more than I was a few years ago when the games were inundated with penalties... 25 or 30 a game. A few times I would turn the game off because it never even got started. I haven't come close to that this year.

At least someone on here can continue on with an Aus RL thread without bringing up AFL or RU.

I remember being at a game between Sharks and Storm a few years back and the referee blew 33 penalties. Talk about the game never getting started. Although the RL world was blessed with Cameron Smith being sin binned 😂

Would I have turned that off if it wasn’t the Sharks? Maybe. But I certainly did turn off the other night, even though it was the Sharks.

The blowouts certainly don’t bode well for the supporters of expansion unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

At least someone on here can continue on with an Aus RL thread without bringing up AFL or RU.

I remember being at a game between Sharks and Storm a few years back and the referee blew 33 penalties. Talk about the game never getting started. Although the RL world was blessed with Cameron Smith being sin binned 😂

Would I have turned that off if it wasn’t the Sharks? Maybe. But I certainly did turn off the other night, even though it was the Sharks.

The blowouts certainly don’t bode well for the supporters of expansion unfortunately.

I remember the Melbourne vs. Sharks game you mention.  And the Sharks game against the Panthers this week was miles better.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

44 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

How’s the draw for the Aussie Rules World Cup going champ? Troll.

19 hours ago, rlno1 said:

The 6 again needs to be looked at. It was rushed in without trials. Agree the obsession with speed is way too much. It needs to ebb and flow as it use to. 

V'landy's is overrated and no journo takes him to task.

Still haven`t decisively made my mind up about the pros and cons of 6-again.

I am certain though that the neurotic application of existing knock-on and obstruction rules deters creativity and suppresses variety more than ruck infringements. Trying to re-establish a "play-on" culture, would have been a better place for V`landys to start.

By opting for the blunt instrument of a rule change to simply speed up the ruck, V`landys shows he`s not fully across the ways in which officiating and media coverage affect how the game is played.

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

All over ? 

There are professional baseball clubs and leagues, outside the USA, in Canada (obvs), Mexico (obvs), the Caribbean, South America, Korea, Japan, Taiwan and China. Semi professional ones in all of those places plus Europe and Australia.

Basketball has a further spread.

So, yes, all over.

You may not like them or know much about them but that's somewhat irrelevant.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Still haven`t decisively made my mind up about the pros and cons of 6-again.

I am certain though that the neurotic application of existing knock-on and obstruction rules deters creativity and suppresses variety more than ruck infringements. Trying to re-establish a "play-on" culture, would have been a better place for V`landys to start.

By opting for the blunt instrument of a rule change to simply speed up the ruck, V`landys shows he`s not fully across the ways in which officiating and media coverage affect how the game is played.

The application of a structured rule to obstruction is littered with examples of great play being called up for a penalty against when it should not.

I would be more than happy for only referees to call obstruction who can call it as they see it in real time.

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The application of a structured rule to obstruction is littered with examples of great play being called up for a penalty against when it should not.

I would be more than happy for only referees to call obstruction who can call it as they see it in real time.

How’s the draw for the Aussie Rules World Cup going champ? Troll.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

There are professional baseball clubs and leagues, outside the USA, in Canada (obvs), Mexico (obvs), the Caribbean, South America, Korea, Japan, Taiwan and China. Semi professional ones in all of those places plus Europe and Australia.

Basketball has a further spread.

So, yes, all over.

You may not like them or know much about them but that's somewhat irrelevant.

Take it to the any other sports then , it's a glorified rounders , so it's not even an American sport 

Basket ball yes , an American sport played all over the world by freaks 

Archived